Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kgcolbyiii

Can't get full internet speed from router.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello LTT fam,

 

I have a question about Routers. Linked is my current router that I have which doesn't seem to support speeds over 300mbps when I'm direct connected it to the router "I plug from Modem to Router to PC (All Ethernet)". I currently have the 1gig line through Cox and it shows all 950mbps when I'm directly connected to the modem itself. I've tried to go into the router settings and set my bandwidth to 1000 down 50 up. Set my IP to DMZ and priority bandwidth. I would just assume it's due to having all the devices but its still capping when I'm the only one home.

Current Router https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-AC1900-Gigabit-DIR-880L/dp/B00J8NCVX4

 

Is this just a thing with aging routers?

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kgcolbyiii said:

Hello LTT fam,

 

I have a question about Routers. Linked is my current router that I have which doesn't seem to support speeds over 300mbps when I'm direct connected it to the router "I plug from Modem to Router to PC (All Ethernet)". I currently have the 1gig line through Cox and it shows all 950mbps when I'm directly connected to the modem itself. I've tried to go into the router settings and set my bandwidth to 1000 down 50 up. Set my IP to DMZ and priority bandwidth. I would just assume it's due to having all the devices but its still capping when I'm the only one home.

Current Router https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-AC1900-Gigabit-DIR-880L/dp/B00J8NCVX4

 

Is this just a thing with aging routers?

 

 

 

yes it might be a thing with old routers get a knew one that ought to fix the issue

 


 

Xeon 4 core 8 Thread 3.00Ghz

8GB RAM

500 GB Hard Drive

Nvidia Geforce GTX 750(Over Clocked)

Dell Precision T3500 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, kgcolbyiii said:

Hello LTT fam,

 

I have a question about Routers. Linked is my current router that I have which doesn't seem to support speeds over 300mbps when I'm direct connected it to the router "I plug from Modem to Router to PC (All Ethernet)". I currently have the 1gig line through Cox and it shows all 950mbps when I'm directly connected to the modem itself. I've tried to go into the router settings and set my bandwidth to 1000 down 50 up. Set my IP to DMZ and priority bandwidth. I would just assume it's due to having all the devices but its still capping when I'm the only one home.

Current Router https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-AC1900-Gigabit-DIR-880L/dp/B00J8NCVX4

 

Is this just a thing with aging routers?

 

 

 

do you have QoS turned of any packet prioritization turned off, firewall turned off. Make sure the firmware is up to date, have you tried to factory reset the router?


Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | WD Purple 8TB |
XSPC EX 360mm | XSPC Raystorm V3 | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Harpoon RGB Wireless 10,000DPI | LG 27" 4K 60Hz 27UK650 |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kgcolbyiii said:

Is this just a thing with aging routers?

Most routers cant do Gigabit. Doesnt matter if they have a gigabit port. The fact is the hardware inside cant handle Gigabit NAT. So if its any older router, thats why it can go over 300 Mbps. That also being said, your NOT generally going to see Gigabit internet speeds thru WiFi, it just is not going to happen. 

 

In some cases you can turn of QoS and other features on some routers and they can do faster speeds. If you go to https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ they have all the benchmarks on most routers. The LAN to WAN or the WAN to LAN througput is what metric your looking at. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kgcolbyiii said:

Hello LTT fam,

 

I have a question about Routers. Linked is my current router that I have which doesn't seem to support speeds over 300mbps when I'm direct connected it to the router "I plug from Modem to Router to PC (All Ethernet)". I currently have the 1gig line through Cox and it shows all 950mbps when I'm directly connected to the modem itself. I've tried to go into the router settings and set my bandwidth to 1000 down 50 up. Set my IP to DMZ and priority bandwidth. I would just assume it's due to having all the devices but its still capping when I'm the only one home.

Current Router https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-AC1900-Gigabit-DIR-880L/dp/B00J8NCVX4

 

Is this just a thing with aging routers?

 

 

 

* Internet speed is one thing and depends on your provider 

* Lan, network speed is another and depends on your equipment

 

Which one are you referring to ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Most routers cant do Gigabit. Doesnt matter if they have a gigabit port. The fact is the hardware inside cant handle Gigabit NAT. So if its any older router, thats why it can go over 300 Mbps. That also being said, your NOT generally going to see Gigabit internet speeds thru WiFi, it just is not going to happen. 

Do you think a pfSense box would help him? I have been told its not a good solution for business grade 10Gbit WAN to LAN but perhaps it could handle 1Gbit?


Guides & Tutorials:

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

How to Use Rsync on Microsoft Windows for Cross-platform Automatic Data Replication

 

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

A Beginners Guide to Servers

 

In the Queue:

[Taking Suggestions]

 

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Do you think a pfSense box would help him? I have been told its not a good solution for business grade 10Gbit WAN to LAN but perhaps it could handle 1Gbit?

That’s what most suggest. But to be clear the OP has a Docsis 3.1 connection. Which means it’s 1 Gbps down and probably 35-45 Mbps up if the OP is lucky. Hell my router the Synology RT2600 AC is rated for gigabit. But it’s a $200 router. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have "up to 555 mbps" plan from my ISP. On wire between router and PC it does show around 500-580 mbps. The wifi signal is much slower though, even on 5 GHz it is like 50% slower.

The absolute maximum I was able to get is 397mbps for download and 401 mbps for upload. (5GHZ wifi and 3.0 usb wifi adapter with single antenna)

 

I've read some article that states that on high speed plans it is ok-ish to have 50-60% of the maximum speed provided by your ISP when you use WiFi.

The article says it is true for high speed plans like 500+ mbps. 

There are many things that can slow down the signal from router to wifi adapter on your PC. You might get 80-90% of the speed under the perfect conditions but it would rarely happen. Like it is in my case.

Of course if the ISP plan is like 100 mpbs and slower that you will most likely have stable 100 mbps almost all the time.

 

This is just the information I wanted to share with others. Also, this topic seems interesting to me: 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 hours ago, Donut417 said:

That’s what most suggest. But to be clear the OP has a Docsis 3.1 connection. Which means it’s 1 Gbps down and probably 35-45 Mbps up if the OP is lucky. Hell my router the Synology RT2600 AC is rated for gigabit. But it’s a $200 router. 

1000/35

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

* Internet speed is one thing and depends on your provider 

* Lan, network speed is another and depends on your equipment

 

Which one are you referring to ?

My internet speed as a whole while I'm connected to Ethernet. I understand the wifi gets slower but my hardwired connection shouldn't suffer while I'm connected to the router.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
22 hours ago, ddennis002 said:

do you have QoS turned of any packet prioritization turned off, firewall turned off. Make sure the firmware is up to date, have you tried to factory reset the router?

QoS has my comp as priority. Set to DMZ

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 hours ago, mcRYSHER said:

I have "up to 555 mbps" plan from my ISP. On wire between router and PC it does show around 500-580 mbps. The wifi signal is much slower though, even on 5 GHz it is like 50% slower.

The absolute maximum I was able to get is 397mbps for download and 401 mbps for upload. (5GHZ wifi and 3.0 usb wifi adapter with single antenna)

 

I've read some article that states that on high speed plans it is ok-ish to have 50-60% of the maximum speed provided by your ISP when you use WiFi.

The article says it is true for high speed plans like 500+ mbps. 

There are many things that can slow down the signal from router to wifi adapter on your PC. You might get 80-90% of the speed under the perfect conditions but it would rarely happen. Like it is in my case.

Of course if the ISP plan is like 100 mpbs and slower that you will most likely have stable 100 mbps almost all the time.

 

This is just the information I wanted to share with others. Also, this topic seems interesting to me: 

 

 

 

 

The problem is I'm not on Wifi

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kgcolbyiii said:

QoS has my comp as priority. Set to DMZ

QoS uses a lot of CPU horsepower on your router. This is part of your problem. You have a big enough pipe for everyone in the house. Turn it off. I would advise against turning off the firewall if you can. It’s the first and best line of defense against the ass holes of the internet. Go to the website I linked above and see if your current router is rated for gigabit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

QoS uses a lot of CPU horsepower on your router. This is part of your problem. You have a big enough pipe for everyone in the house. Turn it off. I would advise against turning off the firewall if you can. It’s the first and best line of defense against the ass holes of the internet. Go to the website I linked above and see if your current router is rated for gigabit. 

that website doesn't have my router sadly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kgcolbyiii said:

that website doesn't have my router sadly.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32500-d-link-dir-880l-ac1900-wi-fi-router-reviewed?showall=&start=3

 

Didnt look hard enough. It looks like it maxes out in the 800 Mbps range. But like stated above certian features like QoS can reduce this. 

 

Also their conclusion was its an OK router. I can tell you from personal exprience with older Dlink products that their software was shit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×