Why do Xeon Processors say they're for HP, Dell, etc. specifically?

Go to solution Solved by ImNotNeko,

I don't know why it labels some manufacturer.

But, I have tried Dell Xeon on a random board and it worked before. (I think this was X99 or X79. LGA 2011)

I've noticed when shopping for Xeon processors that they reference being for a certain brand of system such as Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc. I've also noticed that prices vary depending on which they indicate they're for. My question is, can Intel really lock their processor to a particular manufacturer of motherboard? Why are they listed on retailer sites with such descriptions?

Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not aware that a CPU can be locked to a certain motherboard brand.

Usually most people buy Xeons through Ebay anyway.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Any examples? Usually they can't, instead board vendors can limit their boards to run only certain CPUs.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

3 minutes ago, Arnimated said:

I've also noticed that prices vary depending on which they indicate they're for.

Are you sure that you're looking at the right generation and variation of the processor? Also it's not unusual for vendors to compete against each other to try and offer you the best deal.

My question is, can Intel really lock their processor to a particular manufacturer of motherboard?

Usually the OEM/system builder would restrict what processors are used in what system.

I'm sure Intel could (or may even have in the past) impose such a restriction.

Why are they listed on retailer sites with such descriptions?

If I had to guess it's to cover themselves. Imagine you had a HP server and you bought a "Dell CPU" and it didn't work. The seller would hold you accountable.

That's what I think anyway.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Might just be for SEO purposes, so people looking for "y type of Xeon for HP server" would find it more easily.

Unless it is a separate SKU that doesn't work with most motherboards, so do check if that Xeon is compatible with your board

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Perhaps it is just a marketing ploy? Some are hundreds of dollars different though so I thought I would check in the one place I knew people would be willing to help. Thanks again for feedback!!

1 minute ago, Arnimated said:

Perhaps it is just a marketing ploy?

Might also have to do with where the CPU came from.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 minutes ago, Arnimated said:

Thanks for the quick replies. Here is an example on Amazon off the top of my head: https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Xeon-Silver-4210-Fan/dp/B07R43PJZK/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=xeon+4210+lenovo&qid=1579821189&sr=8-1

7 minutes ago, Arnimated said:

Perhaps it is just a marketing ploy? Some are hundreds of dollars different though so I thought I would check in the one place I knew people would be willing to help. Thanks again for feedback!!

If this is a new CPU, it could be a 'reference GPU'/'stock cooler GPU' thing, where Nvidia/AMD makes the card, but MSI/Asus/Gigabyte/etc. supplies it so the consumer, so they (MSI/Asus/Gigabyte) provides any additional support to the consumer.

Looks like that CPU has its own SKU (which apparently costs a sum of money too, so they wouldn't 'just' do that), compared to a regular Xeon 4210.

I can't find anything for sure that suggests a Lenovo Xeon wouldn't work in a HP server, or vice versa.. or whatever combo.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

That Lenovo Xeon weights 72.8 pounds!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list