Needing help. Buying new headphones.

acblevins

Hi there,

For years I have been using gaming headsets with low impedance so Tomorrow I am heading to Microcenter to pick me up a pair of Beyerdynamic 990's. I plan on getting the 250 ohm version because I want to see if the sound quality is "better". 

For about 6 months I have been using an Asus essence stx ii paired with my astro tr40 and mix amp. Sometimes I switch the headset out to the hyper x alphas which are louder, but also have a higher impedance. 

I really enjoy having the mix amp for the ease of use for quickly turning down or up the sound, but I dont believe I will be able to use it with the beyerdynamics. 

I believe I am only in need of a mixer since the sound card should be able to supply enough power to power up the headphones, but volume control is only manageable through the software which I dont like.

I am looking for advice on anything I may be overlooking, or your recommendations.

Ty for your time. 

Are you doing a lot of audio work or just gaming?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

For cheap the fx audio dac x6 should work but if you got the money the fiio k5 pro is great I will warn you though a out the 990's they are rather sharp and not for everyone but I love them for gaming

29 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Are you doing a lot of audio work or just gaming?

Gaming pretty much

25 minutes ago, rice guru said:

For cheap the fx audio dac x6 should work but if you got the money the fiio k5 pro is great I will warn you though a out the 990's they are rather sharp and not for everyone but I love them for gaming

What do you mean they are sharp, like like ear piercing sounds ?

Just now, acblevins said:

As long as they're an upgrade from my current setup I'll be happy. I've never purched anything like this.

Just now, acblevins said:

In audio terms sharp means, crisp, clear, good. Don't think they mean like piercing.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

2 minutes ago, acblevins said:

As long as they're an upgrade from my current setup I'll be happy. I've never purched anything like this.

From what I can see online the 990pros are much better than the Astro A40s especially with that sound card.

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

In audio terms sharp means, crisp, clear, good. Don't think they mean like piercing.

Ah. That's what I am hoping for. My current alphas are loud, but not much distinction between sounds in game. I play PUBG pretty much all the time and that game already has poor sound imo. I'm hoping this improves things.

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

From what I can see online the 990pros are much better than the Astro A40s especially with that sound card.

Audio is a new Avenue for me. Never considered high end (high impedance) headphones.  Next I'll have to sound proof my room and hook up my blue yeti so I have a mic. 

1 minute ago, acblevins said:

Audio is a new Avenue for me. Never considered high end (high impedance) headphones.  Next I'll have to sound proof my room and hook up my blue yeti so I have a mic. 

That's pretty overkill imo, I've never had a problem with my yeti, never had to sound proof or anything, that's even doing audio work as well as streaming and recording. Most of the time getting all expensive with it and overdoing it isn't worth it. The yeti has a few settings so you can hook it up and not get a lot of background noise, if you're just chatting with friends while playing and not recording or anything than it wouldn't be worth it to sound deaden your room or anything the Yeti is just plug and play, hook it up slap it on Cardioid and you're good to go. I've thought about upgrading to a better headset like the DTs or a Seinnheiser setup but my Cloud IIs are crisp and clear, have dolby surround and I can hear everything in games so I haven't really had the need to get anything else.

17 minutes ago, acblevins said:

possibly depending on how sensitive your ears are to that kind of sound. just make sure to to purchase it from a place that has a good open box policy when it comes to returns