Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

Hey all this is my first post, please forgive me if I'm not adhering to some forum etiquette.

 

So basically, my budget is about $800AUD ($550USD) I can go higher to around 1000 (650-700USD) but would only do so if it was really worth it. 

 

I'm a law and business student (fun double degree) I have survived the past few years with an older Surface. However, I really regret that purchase as the battery life was terrible and the micro USB charger wouldn't even have it fully charged for the next day of use! So eventually I have up on that and hauled around a 2014 MSI GS70 simply because of how frustrated I was with the Surface (it went through battery quicker than the charger could keep it alive). 

 

Obviously I had to keep the MSI plugged in at all times, and yes I can do that again but I really, really would like the flexibility of a strong battery. 

 

Primarily I'm looking for something relativity lightweight with sound performance (I only really need to run Word, Excel and open PDFs... although usually I can have upwards of 20 large PDFs open at once). However, battery life is very very important to me, I'm at Uni for usually 8 hours every day, sometimes longer and was hoping for something that I wouldn't have to have plugged in at all times which would give me so much more flexibility. 

 

I do not care about gaming performance at all and don't need anything beyond 1080p. 

 

I have considered an XPS for many years now, however I'm always very reluctant to spend that type of money on anything considering what us students spend on everything else. The lower end Dell Inspiron appears to be a decent option at my preferred price range but I was hoping somebody could weigh in with some knowledge.

 

I know somebody will probably recommend a chromebook and I'm not sure whether it's really an option considering my extensive need for Microsoft Office, OneDrive usage etc.

 

Thanks all!

Edited by Elliot Fannon
Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out the lenovo s540, I've been very happy with it so far. You should be able to get a student discount on it as well, that's what I did. 


CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X  |  Cooler: Cryorig H7  |  Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar  |  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini  |  RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB  3000MHz  |  GPU: EVGA 1070ti Gaming (Kraken G12 Watercooled) |  PSU: Corsair TXM650  |  Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + WD Blue M.2 500GB  |  Network Card: Asus PCE-AC56  |  Monitor: Acer Nitro VG270U  |  Audio: Sennheiser HD6XX + Schiit Fulla 2

 

Laptop:

Lenovo s540:  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U  |  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz  |  GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8  |  Storage: 256GB NVME SSD

 

Other builds:

Spoiler

Workstation 1:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X  |  Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2  |  Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro  |  Case: Corsair Crystal 570X  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz  |  GPU: Nvidia Quadro P5000  |  PSU: Corsair TXM750  |  Storage 1: WD Green 120GB  |  Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB  |  Storage 3: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  Monitor: LG 27UD68

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Elliot Fannon said:

with an older Surface

How old was the Surface?  If it's first or second Gen it's just old and not the fault of the Surface.  I had a Surface Book 2 and I loved it.  I bought a friend of mine a Surface Laptop 2 and it's very good.  Outside of that if battery life is your one priority have you thought about a MacBook Air?  The specs are terrible and the price is steep, but since it's spec are so low they tend to last all day.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lenovo Thinkpad L380 20M5A00UAU

Lenovo Thinkpad E590 customize

Lenovo Thinkpad E495 / E595 customize


Check out my laptop reviews here

 

My daily driver: Lenovo Legion Y530 [REVIEW]

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-8300H Nvidia GTX1050Ti 2GB LP156WFG-SPB2 144Hz IPS 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM (2x8GB) Samsung PM981 256GB+Seagate 1TB 5400RPM

Check out my blog here

Laptop ODMsClevo, Tongfang, Quanta

 

My Phone: Xiaomi Mi 9 Lite [REVIEW] (Blue, with XUNDD hard case)

Spoiler

SDM710 6GB RAM 128GB ROM 6.39" AMOLED 48MP Sony IMX586 rear (AI triple camera)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 hours ago, BobbyPdue said:

How old was the Surface?  If it's first or second Gen it's just old and not the fault of the Surface.  I had a Surface Book 2 and I loved it.  I bought a friend of mine a Surface Laptop 2 and it's very good.  Outside of that if battery life is your one priority have you thought about a MacBook Air?  The specs are terrible and the price is steep, but since it's spec are so low they tend to last all day.  

Are they still utilising micro-usb charging on those? I'm reluctant to go back into that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Lenovo Thinkpad L380 20M5A00UAU

Lenovo Thinkpad E590 customize

Lenovo Thinkpad E495 / E595 customize

Currently the E495 looks like my best option in my price bracket. However I've seen the ACER Swift 1, and I know it's not as powerful as the Lenovo options the price and battery life looks very appealing. Does anybody know much about the Swift 1?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Acer is not long lasting in terms of years of use. Lenovo is known to be robust and some of their laptop models are known to last for 10+ years if maintained. They are lightweight business laptops that don't look as fancy as the other laptops but their reliability is what makes them stand out.

 

Source: Currently a student looking for a new laptop, been researching a new laptop to buy for myself. Also work for IT for my university.

 

Check out the torture test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0UYirRUj78

 

Edited by David Wright
Youtube Link
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 minutes ago, David Wright said:

Acer is not long lasting in terms of years of use. Lenovo is known to be robust and some of their laptop models are known to last for 10+ years if maintained. They are lightweight business laptops that don't look as fancy as the other laptops but their reliability is what makes them stand out.

 

Source: Currently a student looking for a new laptop, been researching a new laptop to buy for myself. Also work for IT for my university.

 

Check out the torture test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0UYirRUj78

 

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated! Which Lenovo would you recommend with respect to decent performance and strong battery life at around the 650 USD range?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm honestly still researching , give me a couple of hours and ill check and get back to you. I know for 800 usd you can get the Lenovo X1 Carbon 6th gen (one of the best lenovo's if not the best) base configuration but that is 150 USD above your budget.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, David Wright said:

I'm honestly still researching , give me a couple of hours and ill check and get back to you. I know for 800 usd you can get the Lenovo X1 Carbon 6th gen (one of the best lenovo's if not the best) base configuration but that is 150 USD above your budget.

Cheers David, 

I've looked at an IdeaPad variant for a few weeks and found one at a reasonable price on sale. What are your thoughts on this? 

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/lenovo-ideapad-s340-1p-15-inch-laptop.html?CAWELAID=720013240000492305&gclid=Cj0KCQiApaXxBRDNARIsAGFdaB_bM_KJ6CzG_PeyPOIcDoOt1H4glrma_en9B8d7EXvRvX6q_QhqWUQaArdqEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

 

Unfortunately the X1 Carbon in Australia costs around $1500/1600 (1000USD). 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's decent. Out of curiosity how much do the dell inspiron 15 7000 series laptops cost? it's a step down from the xps series but most of my friends at university swear by it. First hand their build quality is nice and it has the specs you are looking for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, David Wright said:

It's decent. Out of curiosity how much do the dell inspiron 15 7000 series laptops cost? it's a step down from the xps series but most of my friends at university swear by it. First hand their build quality is nice and it has the specs you are looking for.

The only 7000 series I can find on the Australian market these days is 1699 and that's a 13 not 15

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Elliot Fannon said:

Currently the E495 looks like my best option in my price bracket. However I've seen the ACER Swift 1, and I know it's not as powerful as the Lenovo options the price and battery life looks very appealing. Does anybody know much about the Swift 1?

E495 is much better


Check out my laptop reviews here

 

My daily driver: Lenovo Legion Y530 [REVIEW]

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-8300H Nvidia GTX1050Ti 2GB LP156WFG-SPB2 144Hz IPS 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM (2x8GB) Samsung PM981 256GB+Seagate 1TB 5400RPM

Check out my blog here

Laptop ODMsClevo, Tongfang, Quanta

 

My Phone: Xiaomi Mi 9 Lite [REVIEW] (Blue, with XUNDD hard case)

Spoiler

SDM710 6GB RAM 128GB ROM 6.39" AMOLED 48MP Sony IMX586 rear (AI triple camera)

Link to post
Share on other sites

MacBook Air, there’s a reason out of all the laptops you seen at a university 80% of them are MacBooks. They’re just brilliant at productivity and you don’t need to pay an arm and a leg for office 365 Also you don’t need drivers which is great for uni printing etc. 


Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 1/25/2020 at 8:00 PM, Lord Vile said:

MacBook Air, there’s a reason out of all the laptops you seen at a university 80% of them are MacBooks. They’re just brilliant at productivity and you don’t need to pay an arm and a leg for office 365 Also you don’t need drivers which is great for uni printing etc. 

Also approx $1000-1200 here in Aus. Nevertheless, I prefer windows. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Elliot Fannon said:

Also approx $1000-1200 here in Aus. Nevertheless, I prefer windows. 

Hope you like software as a service :)


Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×