Best idea for a CPU upgrade

I feel like the thing that currently limits me the most in my build is my CPU but I'm not sure what my best option is due to the restrictions that my other parts set and I'm not that tech savvy. What's my best option for a CPU? I'll write my specs below and note any limits I have found.

Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz

16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1066MHz

MSI Z97 PC Mate(MS-7850) (SOCKET 0)

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER (PNY) (I believe it's 8gb of VRAM)

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that I can't use anything later than a 6th gen CPU due to my motherboard but I'm not sure, any help is appreciated!

26 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

You already have the best cpu supported on that motherboard. If you want to upgrade, you'll need to replace cpu, motherboard and ram.

What would then be a good CPU and motherboard combo for a fair price while still being decent for modern games? Thank you for your help mate :)

If you don't stream, or do any professional applications, i'd go for a ryzen 5 3600 wit a msi b450 a-pro max motherboard and 16gb(2x8) 3600c16 or 3200c16 ram.

If you stream or do any cpu intensive tasks, go for ryzen 7 3700x instead, keeping the mobo and ram the same.

On 1/23/2020 at 11:30 AM, boggy77 said:

If you don't stream, or do any professional applications, i'd go for a ryzen 5 3600 wit a msi b450 a-pro max motherboard and 16gb(2x8) 3600c16 or 3200c16 ram.

If you stream or do any cpu intensive tasks, go for ryzen 7 3700x instead, keeping the mobo and ram the same.

Are there any motherboards in the same price category that would also be useful here? The retailers in my country don't seem to have it and the ones that do overcharge quite a lot for it.

Just now, bombe23 said:

Are there any motherboards in the same price category that would also be useful here? The retailers in my country don't seem to have it and the ones that do overcharge quite a lot for it.

any msi b450 tomahawk max or gaming plus max?

26 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

any msi b450 tomahawk max or gaming plus max?

There's a gaming plus AC available for the equivalent of 130$ but that's it. No-one of other ones.

Just now, bombe23 said:

There's a gaming plus AC available for the equivalent of 130$ but that's it. No-one of other ones.

That's pretty good but quite expensive. What's your country and what websites are you looking at?

On 1/23/2020 at 4:01 AM, boggy77 said:

You already have the best cpu supported on that motherboard.

No he doesn't. A 4790k and a good cpu cooler to overclock it would make a big difference. I speak from experience.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, boggy77 said:

That's pretty good but quite expensive. What's your country and what websites are you looking at?

I live in Denmark and I'm using https://www.elgiganten.dk/catalog/pc-tablets/pc-komponenter/dk-pc-komponenter-motherboard/motherboard

I'd prefer also sticking to this website for shipping reasons, I've seen them elsewhere but I live in a semi remote area so shipping is a bit iffy sometimes.

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

No he doesn't. A 4790k and a good cpu cooler to overclock it would make a big difference. I speak from experience.

There are no stores in my country that still sell the 4790k.

1 hour ago, bombe23 said:

There are no stores in my country that still sell the 4790k.

Do you have a used market like eBay?  I wasn't suggesting buying it new.  CPU's almost never go bad.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

59 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Do you have a used market like eBay?  I wasn't suggesting buying it new.  CPU's almost never go bad.

Yeah, people are selling them for about 150-200 but I doubt I'll go for one compared to going with boggy's suggestion.

1 hour ago, bombe23 said:

Yeah, people are selling them for about 150-200 but I doubt I'll go for one compared to going with boggy's suggestion.

You do what you want, but it's a better deal to just upgrade your CPU. You've got an overclocking motherboard already, and this won't require replacing your RAM.