Linus on Live Stream (I've been thinking of retiring)

ddennis002

Listened to the video while at the office. I can see how someone could be overwhelmed from doing what Linus does. He has done some great things with what has was given and its nice to hear some of the inside parts that most never put online. I feel for him during the sad parts and hope he is able to enjoy what he has and doesnt dwell on what could happen in regards to the make a wish story. I couldn't imagine losing my family as they are everything to me, I try to always look at the bright side but that could be since I worked in Social Work historically that I cannot take anything home. I am a different person from 1 to another. I hope he does what he enjoys instead of what makes the most money. Sometimes your life has to come before whats best financially. Im not saying someone should drop everything but im also not saying dedicate your life to making sure your always gaining subs with videos everyday with the most clicks. I cannot answer what the balance is nor what the situation is since I am not a YouTube creator. But working in Social Work you can at times see the worst of society and at times you can forget about your own family as your work absorbs your life. I had to take a step back and I changed careers into Technology where I am today. hopefully Linus is doing well and does what is best for himself and his family and not what is best for YouTube.

Good Luck to all yall 

Just now, GalacticRuler said:

33 isn't that young for a midlife crisis, especially if you're managing a large company. Anyone would be weathered down dealing with the stress of company management, especially when being forced to make choices you may not like (like what happened with Ivan).

Agree - mid life is not defined (by a number sure, but my opinion is as such) - but once you have experienced as much as someone who, as you mention, has run a company (into millionaire status) one could get quite....tired. 

tired.jpg

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Linus: *goes on vacation*

Linus, 1 hour 19 minutes later: i need to update the firmware on something. now.

As someone that has been watching LTT since like around 100k subs, maybe my POV might clear some things up?

I dunno, I am in the end just a dude on the internet.

Yes, I watched the first WAN-show, yes, I watched the firetruck unboxing, I've seen the company grow from a dude making video's on a random bench outside to this massive company today.

During this period, the happiest I've seen Linus was when he was doing insane stuff with Luke.

And ever since Luke left, (he didnt' really but we know the story) I've always felt like there was a hole, there was something missing. Today we have Anthony and Alex and Jake and a bunch of other people. And they make brilliant video's don't get me wrong, they are awesome. But the magic between Linus and any of those guys was just, meh. It felt too formal, too "company". It was good, but not great.

I mean some people might call you "the weird kid". But is that a bad thing? No, It's not. Because those people are everywhere. I mean Luke put the fact he had a watercooled PC on his resume. Most people thing "what a weird kid" but you didnt! You gave him a hand instead of pushing him down.

For some reason it reminds me of something we say here: You have 2 kinds of friends.

When you get in jail for doing something stupid, a good friend will visit you from time to time.

A great friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was awesome!"

And honestly, Luke would be the kind of guy that would sit next to you.

But everybody else would be on the other side of the wall...

What I would recommend is, find someone that wants to do stupid tech stuff with you and let someone host video's. Don't try to maximize views or likes, maximize your happiness. Yes you said in the video you are going to do that, which is awesome, but don't do it alone. Yes you have a whole team, but it might be time to find a "weird kid" and give him a hand. You did it before and the results are awesome. But maybe it's time to give someone else a try too :)

Money is clearly not an issue, but try to get people in that do the tasks that you feel like are asking too much energy from you today.

Again, I'm just a random dude on the internet but hey. I've been along for the ride for a LOOONG time and honestly, ups and downs happen, that's life, you were there for us when we were down, and now you are down, we are here for you :)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

10 hours ago, Flying Sausages said:

I thought he is a tech reviewer not entrepreneurship that establish businesses for profits.

He started Linus Media Groupe to make tech videos for profit... also the sponsors, the "sutle" hints to shop at lttstore.com in every video..

I think this has been coming this way for quite a while. Hopefully other team members can take over hosting videos. 

1 hour ago, GalacticRuler said:

33 isn't that young for a midlife crisis, especially if you're managing a large company. Anyone would be weathered down dealing with the stress of company management, especially when being forced to make choices you may not like (like what happened with Ivan).

Out of loop, what happened? 

Poor Linus is suffering burnout.

IMHO he should delegate some of his responsibilities to his employees, automate LMG as much as possible, and take a nice long break and spend time with his family, play some vidya, travel to Europe, do cocaine, etc., for a few months. You know, refill his batteries.

After that, he'll know if he wants to return or if he'd rather do something else. He's a highly energetic and ambitious dude, I figure he's probably going to want to get back in the game sooner or later. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

1 hour ago, GalacticRuler said:

I haven't watched video yet. So he might say things there to clarify if this is midlife crisis or something else. Like depression or burnout.

I also did say that I wouldn't wonder if it indeed was midlife crisis.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I've registered only to write this message.

Linus, know that you are making a difference for a lot of people, some of them who are not even English native speakers.
You have viewers all over the world and they want the best for you.
At my scale, you have contributed in different ways to my professional success.

It seems that you are in a bad place right now. I'm sure this is not the first time you get upset by life.
This looks different but it is the same. You have to find a way to go through and be at peace with yourself.
Whatever you choose, you will find people in the community for what you are planning: employees, investors, support, etc.
These past years mean something and you proved that there is gold between your brain and your heart.

I just don't understand why it has to be an all or nothing thing. He can step back and pick and choose what he wants to do now. Let the rest of the team bear some of the burden or hire more people. Do 2 videos a week and outsource the other 5 to people who are willing to step up and be on camera. Stay home with your kids and vlog about tech that you find interesting that you use at home. Wasn't that the whole point in starting a youtube channel and not getting a 9-5 job? Flexibility? 

12 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

dude is hitting that midlife crisis. I'm right there with him. This shit 8-5 job is turning me into a zombie just so i can afford my lifestyle, which is spending 80% of it at work, preparing for work, and missing out my life and kids and family. I have another 17 years of this to look forward to. At least Linus can make a lot of money and actually contemplate retiring at some point in the near future.

I'm a slave to my mortgage for the next 20 years, and no real way out of it.

I spend way too much time wishing i could just go home. It doesn't help being a nihilist where you feel like your time is just slowly vanishing for no reason other to make someone else richer

3 hours ago, jamman2019 said:

Thank you linus for all of what you have done.at school I am known as the nerdy weard kid who will they can only make fun off. And I know what it felt like to talk in front of people I had to talk in front of my 300 people year group about computers and a raspberry pi game console I made from scratch.and all they can call you the nerdy weardo.

P1010864 (2).JPG

Yeah but you know what? What did those people make? Not a custom raspberry pi from scratch.

F em. Be proud of your accomplishments.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Not sure why but this news is hitting me so hard that my new project of building the new PC is turning grey.

Hope the best for you, linus! Thank you!  And hope the best for all your fans, hoping they can deal with the small bump and not feeling as sad as I do.

All in all it was a very impressive video, some of the things he said may come off as over-sharing to some but I respect him for being genuine.

I do think (for whatever little my opinion is worth, since I don't have a channel with 10mil subscribers, or even 10 subscribers), that it would be a good idea to keep giving other LMG employees more screen time, and maybe even have them sometimes "host" videos on their own without Linus appearing. That way if there is a time Linus feels he wants to step back the channel isn't so totally reliant on him as the face of the brand.

Of course, YouTube commenters and forum posters are so arbitrarily mean about which LMG staff they like and dislike I recognize there's risk in doing that.

Linus can't retire and hope that the linustechtips channel will continue.  He is the channel.  Unbox Therapy minus Lou equals dead channel.  Paul's Hardware minus Paul equals dead channel.  Jayztwocents minus Jay equals dead channel.  Bitwit minus Kyle equals dead channel. Marques Brownlee minus Marques equals dead channel.  Gamers Nexus minus Steve equals dead channel.  Linus hasn't built a linustechtips brand, Linus Sebastian the person is the brand.

You just name-checked a bunch of channels that literally have just one on-screen host (minus occasional appearances from Kyle's wife and such). Linus already has other staff appearing in the majority of videos as assistants/co-hosts and has for quite a while, so he's in a far better position to let them take on more of the "on-screen talent" role. LTT is almost unique among "big time" hobbyist YouTube channels in that it's not totally a "one-man show." 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

No idea if Linus reads these, and i just made an account to put my 2 cents in. No real reason to take heed or whatever.

But I can truly understand the grind, the day in day out of doing something even you love can drive you down a dark road. Sometimes you have to take a step back and breath.

If Linus just wants to do the whacky stuff and mental stuff maybe focus on that and let the team focus on the "normal" videos

Obviously LMG isn't going anywhere. It's gonna stay on top because their writers are good and their following is massive.

I can't help but wonder who would take over as chief anchor if Linus stepped down. Luke is on FloatPlane... I guess Riley?

He's a good host and anchor, but not a tech mogul. 

@GabenJr for prez! :P (Alex for vice! Fire Colton!)

I think Linus should definitely step back a bit from the work, especially because he does have personalities that can hold up the presentations on the channel. Also, there have been so many videos every single day that I can't really keep up anyway. 'Only' 3 videos a week from all of the LMG channels would be plenty for me, if not maybe less. I'd feel less rushed to watch them, and feel better that Linus and even his staff are not being overworked to deliver content for us.

Maybe now he could hire Madison?

9 hours ago, GalacticRuler said:

33 is pretty young for a midlife crisis.  But someone being burnt out after busting ass for years isnt a midlife crisis per say. By that I mean he can be burnt out and questioning retiring and not be having a midlife crisis.

9 hours ago, Tristerin said:

You will regret it.  Unless you have something else to fill your cup.  Whether its family, another hobby, etc.  My advice if you retire is to ensure that your next hobby is your family, and giving them experiences to cherish forever.  That's the only thing I can think of for myself that would keep me sane if I were to retire right this moment.

Me - I wont retire early, and Im building my empire to ensure that occurs sooner rather than later.  I will take on less, so that the time I have available is more focused on whats really important.  The main reason I wont retire is a body in motion stays in motion.  If I pump the brakes things may come to a halt and there is no adventure in that.

I dont know if he will regret it as everyones different. But i agree with most your points.

I have no intentions of retiring early. tbh i will work for as long as my body allows it. I dont care if im 80 years old. I want to be working. Personally I love working. I would go crazy if i was retired at 33.

im 29 with two kids. I love them to death and love spending time with them and I wold love to spend more time with them....but that doesnt mean i need to retire.

That was incredibly heartfelt, damn 

I can’t imagine being in the same shoes, someone that started making YouTube vids for fun to becoming 10 million followers huge... To react so powerfully to a fan that had a terminal illness...

Linus is just a really nice, really cool dude as well as the entire cast, I love LTT.

I wouldn’t exactly describe this as a mid-life crisis, but his family of coming to an age where they should get a bit more attention. So if Linus has to slow down on the video production, maybe just a few a week, that would be perfectly reasonable and acceptable. His other staff are equally as talented and enjoyable to watch so they can definitely take more of the reigns as well.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

No reason he couldn't try retirement. Do it for a while and see where he's at. Nothing says you cant un-retire.

1 minute ago, Quivz said:

No reason he couldn't try retirement. Do it for a while and see where he's at. Nothing says you cant un-retire.

True....but why not just take some time off or lighten the work load?

Theres plenty of videos he personally doesnt have to be in. He seems to have a great staff as well. I would imagine he could work from home a good amount.

When i first started running one business the owner had a hard time stepping away. He would find excuses as to why he had to be there, or attend certain events, etc. he constantly complained about his work hours and killing himself working and it was making him miserable. It wasnt until he actually stepped away that he realized he didnt need to be a part of everything. I cant say for sure thats the case here but maybe?

Just now, Tony Tony Chopper said:

Just take a 1 year break and many vacations, family should always come first, sure wish i had a family ? or a job.

Well busting ass and working hard is also putting your family first.

As a parent the reason I (and most parents i know) bust ass and work 60-80 hours a week is so our family is taken care off. So that if theres an emergency of any kind the family is in a position to weather the storm. It can suck but it will actually make the life of your kids easier as they get older.

for example. Unless my kids want to go to some crazy expensive private college they will not have to take out any loans for college. That right there is going to give them a great head start into their adult life. They can spend more time focusing on their education and future careers instead of how they are going to pay for school.