Microwave + Wifi = Bad

xrex64

So every time the microwave in my home gets used, the WiFi instantly stops working. Anyone else have this problem?  

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

no wtf xD you should probably buy a new one, the one you have is probably leaking radiation (more than it should) is there a crack in the front door window?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Its the interference in the signals that they both the wifi adapter and the microwave give off

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Just interference issues, move the router and problem is solved.

Ah dang @Tmh85 just barely beat me to it. :(

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

My friend has this issue. He has a note on the micro wave that says "No using this without my permission"

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

Just interference issues, move the router and problem is solved.

Ah dang @Tmh85 just barely beat me to it. :(

Or the microwave.

Haha that is kind of hilarious. The microwave I believe does operate in frequencies that will mess up wifi but usually they shield the inside off to prevent people from dying near it.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Use the 5 GHz band if you can, otherwise change channel.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Yeah. That's how the Electromagnetic spectrum works.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Haha that is kind of hilarious. The microwave I believe does operate in frequencies that will mess up wifi but usually they shield the inside off to prevent people from dying near it.

Yeah, it operates in the 2.4 GHZ band (like WI-Fi) because that band is free for the public to use and is not one of those you have to get the rights to use. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Yeah, it operates in the 2.4 GHZ band (like WI-Fi) because that band is free for the public to use and is not one of those you have to get the rights to use. 

I know.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

+1 this is really the best option other than getting a new microwave because that's disconcerting. Like Snickerzz said it SHOULD NOT be leaking radiation like that. Was it a cheap microwave?

Ginger (Main Desktop):

AMD A10 5800K / MSI Twin Frozr iii Radeon HD 7850 / Corsair XMS 8GB Dual Channel @ 1333MHz / MSI FM2-A75MA-E35

I know.

I guess I like to be smart a bit too much :D .

Well, let's have it there for the others. 

Spoiler

Put your mobile in the microwave and close the door, don't start the microwave. Just wait a bit and see if your phone loses signal, if it doesn't your mircowave is leaking :/

Just a tip, may or may not be helpful.

Uhh. No. And our microwave is about 20 years old. You see, microwaves are supposed to be shielded so the waves don't get out and kill anyone near it. That's why they have the holes in the screen.

Just use the 5GHz band if you can.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Doubt physically moving devices which have broadcast powers in mW will make much difference against a leaky microwave. :P

This is very common. Only solution is to get a new microwave which hopefully has better shielding or switch to 5GHz.

Your microwave could be leaking.
It probably isn't worth getting somebody to look at it or to try and fix it. I would get a new one.
Better to be safe than sorry.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

no it s not only because it s free, it s also the best frequency to make water vibrate which creates heat aka what a microwave oven is intended to do.

(ever noticed dried food doesn t heat up much in a microwave?)

so microwave will always be 2.4ghz but wifi can be 5ghz Or you can use a reliable cat5 cable or powerline adapters to avoid the interference issues.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB