Amazon Music Passes 55 Million Customers

jiyeon

Source: The Verge

Amazon says its music-streaming service Amazon Music has surpased 55 million customers.

Amazon Music often doesn’t get the same buzz as Spotify or Apple Music, but the service is still growing rapidly and is catching up to those competitors at a rate that might surprise you. Amazon says its music service has now surpassed 55 million customers.

In relation to Spotify, Amazon is merely half the amount of paying customers, or a fifth the amount of total customers, according to Spotify which reported last September. Additionally, Apple Music is at over 60 million.

There’s still a long way to go if Amazon wants to catch Spotify, which most recently reported 113 million paying customers (and 248 million monthly users overall) back in September. Apple last cited an Apple Music subscriber count of over 60 million, so Amazon is quickly chipping away at that lead. “Amazon doesn’t talk numbers that much,” Amazon Music boss Steve Boom told the Financial Times. “We felt like getting to this level of scale was something worth talking about.”

Amazon Music has grown nearly 50% year-over-year across the US, UK, Germany, and Japan, and has more than doubled in our newer countries such as France, Italy, Spain, and Mexico.

Great to see Spotify and Apple getting some competition in the music streaming industry. I believe Amazon Prime is their prime outlet (prime intended) to be compelled to use Amazon Music, and firmly believe it is definitely the causation of growth.

As a subscriber to Spotify, I'll continue to use that, but if I were an Amazon Prime member to begin with, I'd probably use that as it's included.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Wait, there's a Prime Music?... And it's included with Amazon Prime subscription?

Why the fuck have I been putting up with all the ads in free Spotify for all this time.

55,000,001 customers now

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

It comes with Prime, and I only ever subscribed to Prime because of The Grand Tour. That was it, literally the only reason I pay whatever the fuck fee it is per year - is so I can watch a boring but smart sarcophagus, an ape who's only two words are power and speed, and a short-crash-prone-homosexual who had his teeth whitened, drive cars I will never be able to afford in places where people don't even exist..

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Wait, there's a Prime Music?... And it's included with Amazon Prime subscription?

Why the fuck have I been putting up with all the ads in free Spotify for all this time.

55,000,001 customers now

There is, but it's a little more complicated. 

https://www.lifewire.com/amazon-prime-music-unlimited-and-amazon-prime-music-compared-4160098

I've gotten the "sign up for Prime Music!" emails from Amazon, but they're not terribly clear about their being both a paid and a free plan. 

4 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

It comes with Prime, and I only ever subscribed to Prime because of The Grand Tour. That was it, literally the only reason I pay whatever the fuck fee it is per year - is so I can watch a boring but smart sarcophagus, an ape who's only two words are power and speed, and a short-crash-prone-homosexual who had his teeth whitened, drive cars I will never be able to afford in places where people don't even exist..

The first 3 seasons were pretty uneven, but the time they decided to make the boys play out combination of CoD, Rainbow Six & CS:GO with reloading save states nearly broke me from laughter. James' sudden anti-Royalist turn was also great.

8 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

There is, but it's a little more complicated. 

Yeah, looking in to it they do offer an additional paid "Unlimited" (on top of Prime subscription) which offers a larger library and other things.

Taken from the Android App store page:

Amazon Music included with Prime
* Ad-free listening
* Offline listening
* Unlimited Skips
* Hands-free Listening on your Favorite Devices

Amazon Music Unlimited, all the above PLUS
* Get Unlimited Access to 50 Million Songs
* Listen to all the Latest New Releases
* Start your 30-Day FREE trial

Amazon Music HD
* Enjoy unlimited access to 50 million songs in high definition
* Get over double the bitrate of standard streaming services in CD-quality (16-bit, 44.1 kHz)
* Listen to millions of songs in Ultra HD with up to 10x+ the bitrate (24-bit, 192 kHz), including Hi-Res quality
* Hear music the way the artist intended

Or listen to Amazon Music, no credit card required
* Free streaming music
* Thousands of stations
* Top playlists like All Hits & Rap Rotation
* Listen on your favorite device

Not having to listen to obnoxious Spotify ads is enough to sell me, and being able to skip songs in playlists/albums is the cherry on top.
As long as there's enough songs I like on there, and it has some sort of recommendation system for me to find new music to listen to.

Edit: Oh, nevermind. First song I tried searching to test it out was blocked behind the Unlimited pay wall. Not off to a good start.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I got an unlimited free 3 mont trial with an echo input at christmas.

I honestly have no idea what it does.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

8 hours ago, Spotty said:

55,000,001 customers now

There's a big chance they already counted you xD

8 hours ago, Spotty said:

55,000,001 customers now

Prime music generally only has 1 album or half an album per artist though. So as I don't want to be paying for Amazon music (I found even paid for the selection was too small), I go for Spotify. Especially since the last few albums I was looking for got released on it.

I find the selection on Prime Music to be totally adequate. Most of the stuff that's missing is pretty new so isn't worth a listen anyway!

It's a shame they got rid of the ability to upload your own music as I would upload songs that I acquired elsewhere and stream them rather than taking up storage on my phone!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

4 hours ago, yolosnail said:

I find the selection on Prime Music to be totally adequate. Most of the stuff that's missing is pretty new so isn't worth a listen anyway!

It's a shame they got rid of the ability to upload your own music as I would upload songs that I acquired elsewhere and stream them rather than taking up storage on my phone!

My music taste: Burn.

i have it but i never even use it, prime is really cheap in india, was 6.99$/Year when it came, now it's like 13.99$/Year. also if you haven't seen a hidden gem called "Person of Interest" by Jonathan Nolan and JJ Abrams, you're missing out. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Can they really brag about it when they include it with Prime?

If it wasnt included with prime how many users would it actually have?

On 1/22/2020 at 9:05 PM, Spotty said:

55,000,001 customers now

youtube premium includes music streaming on google music streaming service too. I didn't start using it until a year or so after using youtube premium. its good.