So... my AX860 just blew up. Help ?

I was just minding my own business playing a bit of classic wow when all of a sudden, POP!

Fuse box tripped in my house and the lovely smell of fried components rose from my beloved PC

I think I have a 10 year warranty on the PSU from corsair but it was bought in 2012, what I'm mainly worried about is the rest of the computer. 

How likely is it that other components are dead? Is there any harm in me buying a replacement PSU and simply turning it on again? I dont want to make things worse.

Also, the information about what minimum watts I need for my build all conflict with each other.

Cpu r5 3600

Ram 16gb ddr4 corsair 3600

Gpu 5700xt red devil

Would I be good with a nice 650w from say corsair? Or should I change brands to avoid the possibility of another grenade being inside my psu? It was loud and I might need to change my pants... 

Thanks!

I had something happen like this with a BRAND NEW Thermaltake POS PSU.

I tore the system down to just the CPU and 1 stick of RAM (was a 200GE and B350) and it booted fine with another PSU.  Added one component at a time with each new reboot until we were back up and running.

Got my $$$ back on the broken PSU.

EDIT - I have had no bad luck with Corsair PSUs but I have only ever bought RMI and TX models.

I wouldn't touch anything until I got in touch with corsair for warranty purposes. If everything is gone you could maybe get them to pay for the damage.

I really hope nothing else is dead. I've only just upgraded it a few months ago

Just bought a corsair rm750 2019 version. Fingers crossed only the power supply died. Will update tomorrow 

Thanks

2 hours ago, lafrente said:

I wouldn't touch anything until I got in touch with corsair for warranty purposes. If everything is gone you could maybe get them to pay for the damage.

Highly doubt they will pay for any of the damaged components. There been a cases something like that happened before, they just get you new psu but for the rest ppl had to worry themselves 

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

2 minutes ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

I recommend you get a UPS for the future

I fail to see how that would have helped in this situation? His PSU failed internally in a pyrotechnic fashion.

Just now, Bitter said:

I fail to see how that would have helped in this situation? His PSU failed internally in a pyrotechnic fashion.

2 hours ago, Jordie said:

Fuse box tripped in my house

I thought an electrical issue cause the psu to break

1 minute ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

I recommend you get a UPS for the future

^^^^ If you're not running on a UPS, you should be. Even if you live in a modern house, that's no guarantee that something might happen and cause damage to your PC. You can get a pretty decent UPS from CyberPower for anywhere from $80-$200 depending on your system's total power draw at max. I run a 900Watt/1500VA on my system with an 850W PSU that never gets close to max even under load (I just upgraded from a 750W and never maxed that one either) and this is more than enough for my system.

3 minutes ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

I thought an electrical issue cause the psu to break

I thought that the PSU popped and the short threw the breaker? Or that's the order of events that he posted.

all of a sudden, POP! Fuse box tripped

Just now, Bitter said:

I thought that the PSU popped and the short threw the breaker? Or that's the order of events that he posted.

all of a sudden, POP!

I thought the pop was the circuit breaker. I miss read it?‍♂️

2 hours ago, Whiro said:

Highly doubt they will pay for any of the damaged components. There been a cases something like that happened before, they just get you new psu but for the rest ppl had to worry themselves 

As long as people continue to think and act this way they'll get away with hundreds of builds they fry every year. QC should be uncompromising, warranty should cover all the damages caused by the unit.

3 hours ago, Whiro said:

Not sure what you're talking about.  

They do have a  policy that if other parts are assumed to have been damaged by a Corsair part (exploded PSU, leaking AIO, etc.) they will replace whatever collateral damage there may be if they determine that a Corsair part caused the damage in the first place.

Maybe you're thinking of another brand?

9 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Not sure what you're talking about.  

They do have a  policy that if other parts are assumed to have been damaged by a Corsair part (exploded PSU, leaking AIO, etc.) they will replace whatever collateral damage there may be if they determine that a Corsair part caused the damage in the first place.

Maybe you're thinking of another brand?

I can’t remember now which brand it was now, I heard about some time ago. 
If they do replace damage parts that’s great than, I seriously thought no one is doing it. 
Do you know where I can find this policy? Would love to have a read of it.

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

The psu tripped the fuse box, sorry for any confusion.

Also, can I just plug the old psu cables into the new unit or should I be safe and just take them out and use the new ones that came with the replacement psu?

Thanks

25 minutes ago, Jordie said:

The psu tripped the fuse box, sorry for sorry for any confusion.

Also, can I just plug the old psu cables into the new unit or should I be safe and just take them out and use the new ones that came with the replacement psu?

Thanks

I would use the new cables. Not the old ones. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

I bought the psu in august 2012 and if I'm not mistaken it only had a 7 year warranty. However, I'm pretty sure they're not suppost to blow up, so do you think corsair would do anything about it seeing as it's not just failed, its possibly killed my pc.

Update!

Replaced the PSU and all seems to be working with no issues. I guess i got lucky nothing else died