What to choose?

Raysza

My friend is in bachelor in cyber security. He use ASUS X453MA(intel celeron, intel hd graphic, 8gb ddr3l ram, 1 tb sata ssd) and he had no computer at all. So he asked what he should buy with a range of 1,000-1,250$. 

A gaming laptop(nitro 5 maybe) 

Or, 

A full setup of desktop(big desktop with monitor) 

Or, 

A mini compact gaming dekstop with monitor? 

Beside coding with multiple apps open, he also want to play game. Not a hard one and not the light one. So i think about choosing higher ram. He said that, if he buy desktop, he will do light coding in the old laptop and heavy one on desktop. Thank you in advance

Which ever one provides the best performance for the value... which means factor in the cost of buying peripherals for a desktop vs having the inc with a laptop. You'll easily spend 200-250 on a basic monitor/mouse/keyboard + headpones or speakers. More if you want more gaming oriented ones. That takes away from the core system.

If peripherals weren't part of the equation... a desktop would obviously offer the better value/performance... but factoring in everything needed... it's a little closer and depends on needs/specs desired.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

2 minutes ago, Raysza said:

My friend is in bachelor in cyber security. He use ASUS X453MA(intel celeron, intel hd graphic, 8gb ddr3l ram, 1 tb sata ssd) and he had no computer at all. So he asked what he should buy with a range of 1,000-1,250$. 

Or, 

Or, 

Beside coding with multiple apps open, he also want to play game. Not a hard one and not the light one. So i think about choosing higher ram. He said that, if he buy desktop, he will do light coding in the old laptop and heavy one on desktop. Thank you in advance

Personaly, I'd recomend either going with a gaming desktop, simply because gaming laptops tend to be big, heavy, and have terrible battery life. The ones that are not like this often cost an arm and a leg (ex. razer). compact mini itx systems can often cost more in the way of motherboards and cases, however they can be nice for portability. I'd recomend either going with a powerful desktop pc and a budget friendly laptop if he needs a laptop as well, or if he can do with his current one just put the whole budget into a desktop. 

PC: 

i5 8400 - RTX 2060 - Strix B360-I - Thermaltake 240mm AIO - 16GB Vengeance RGB PRO - CRYSTAL 280X - HD Plex 400w AC/DC Converter

CUSTOM KEYBOARD:

Gmmk Pro  - Gateron ink Black v2 lubed and filmed - GMK Red Samurai - PC plate - Zeal stabs

DAILY TECH:

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Smartwatch - Galaxy A70 - Bose QC Earbuds - Bose SoundLink Wireless - Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 

4 minutes ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

Which ever one provides the best performance for the value... which means factor in the cost of buying peripherals for a desktop vs having the inc with a laptop. You'll easily spend 200-250 on a basic monitor/mouse/keyboard + headpones or speakers. More if you want more gaming oriented ones. That takes away from the core system.

If peripherals weren't part of the equation... a desktop would obviously offer the better value/performance... but factoring in everything needed... it's a little closer and depends on needs/specs desired.

heres the thing... the ones included on most laptops won't cost you 250$ if you want to get something comparable. Ex a laptop keyboard vs even a budget mechanical keyboard usually is no competition. also keep in mind that if you buy a gaming laptop you will still need a mouse and probably headphones, unless you want to game using the trackpad. But yes, definitly do your research as a laptop on sale for a few hundred cheaper might tip the scales.

PC: 

i5 8400 - RTX 2060 - Strix B360-I - Thermaltake 240mm AIO - 16GB Vengeance RGB PRO - CRYSTAL 280X - HD Plex 400w AC/DC Converter

CUSTOM KEYBOARD:

Gmmk Pro  - Gateron ink Black v2 lubed and filmed - GMK Red Samurai - PC plate - Zeal stabs

DAILY TECH:

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Smartwatch - Galaxy A70 - Bose QC Earbuds - Bose SoundLink Wireless - Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 

A desktop is certainly going to be more powerful than a laptop at the same price, however a laptop also comes with all the peripherals you need included, so you'd have to factor in the costs for those with the desktop as well. Even then though a desktop is probably better value. If the most important thing for the computer is portability then a laptop is definitely the best choice, but from a price for performance standpoint a desktop is definitely better. Personally i'd want to get the most performance possible out of my money, so i'd definitely go for a desktop, and if he needs portability than a compact desktop will also be portable, if not as easily portable as a laptop.

30 minutes ago, Raysza said:

Or, 

Or, 

Heh.  Minor grammar point:

“has a bachelors” means he has a college degree.  “Is a bachelor” means he is an unmarried male.  “Is a bachelor in cyber security” implies he remains unmarried because of his interest in computers.  Which very well may be the case but is still funny to me.  Yes.  English is annoying.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

26 minutes ago, PeterFile said:

heres the thing... the ones included on most laptops won't cost you 250$ if you want to get something comparable. Ex a laptop keyboard vs even a budget mechanical keyboard usually is no competition. also keep in mind that if you buy a gaming laptop you will still need a mouse and probably headphones, unless you want to game using the trackpad. But yes, definitly do your research as a laptop on sale for a few hundred cheaper might tip the scales.

Just checked and I was way out... a cheap 21" monitor can be had for £65 here, a cheap mouse & keyboard combo less than £20, cheap headphones with a mic, less than £20 and a set of speakers less than £20... so that's £125 or roughly $165 USD.  Now I specifically said 'basic' parts... not gamer parts, not comparable to laptop parts... so no IPS screens, no mechanical keyboards, no high dpi mouse, no 5.1 surround sound.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

Why would anyone suggest a 2060 given the 5600XT is cheaper and smokes it?

4 hours ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

Why would anyone suggest a 2060 given the 5600XT is cheaper and smokes it?

when i put this list, i was not aware of the 5600xt at the time. I would definitely suggest that instead of the 2060 for this parts list.