How can someone with a Cert IV in IT get their foot in the door for a job with no experience?

kratosthegodofwar

I have a Certificate IV in IT Networking and want to get an entry level job in IT in either a help desk role or technical support job but have zero work experience. Literally every job listed on every job site requires previous experience in a similar role or customer service experience. I want to be able to support myself as I study but having no work experience gives me zero chances for any job. I haven’t applied for any job yet knowing this. How do I get out of this conundrum? 

You start applying. "Experience needed" is flexible based upon other qualifications and how long the job posting's been open.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

5 minutes ago, kratosthegodofwar said:

I haven’t applied for any job yet knowing this. How do I get out of this conundrum? 

Apply for jobs, learn the interviewing process and once you can master the interview you'll be fine.

Apply anyway. You might get lucky. I don't know what the certificate you mention is, but it might help. If there are a lot of adverts for these jobs, maybe there's enough to go around.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

15 minutes ago, kratosthegodofwar said:

I have a Certificate IV in IT Networking and want to get an entry level job in IT in either a help desk role or technical support job but have zero work experience. Literally every job listed on every job site requires previous experience in a similar role or customer service experience. I want to be able to support myself as I study but having no work experience gives me zero chances for any job. I haven’t applied for any job yet knowing this. How do I get out of this conundrum? 

Flat out answer... you're stuck. You know you need to apply yet didn't, that is going to reflect in your work ethic until you change your mindset.

You need to boost your self confidence and just "do it".  

FYI, entry level jobs do not require previous experience.  It's why they're entry level.

Sorry but I hear this from my son's friends and it comes off as an excuse.  

Not even applying is losing before the race even began.  Don't defeat yourself, buck up and apply :) 

Oh and have an HR person review your resume and give you some tips for interviewing, following up, cold calling, applying etc.

Lots of places will do that for free, such as the RUMC Job Fair monthly in Atlanta.  As an example.

"We are looking for younger workforce (18-25) with 20 years of experience in this field." Every job ad ever...

3 minutes ago, kratosthegodofwar said:

I have a Cert IV in IT and want to get an entry level job in IT in either a help desk role or technical support job but have zero work experience. Literally every job listed on every job site requires previous experience in a similar role or customer service experience. I want to be able to support myself as I study but having no work experience gives me zero chances for any job. I haven’t applied for any job yet knowing this. How do I get out of this conundrum? 

Honestly, if they are asking for 2years of experience or less still apply. Normally they are willing to take someone with no experience that can interview well enough they are confident in your abilities.

What are you using for your job search? LinkedIn is always good to keep updated and build connections with. I also think using Indeed to hunt is a good idea too. Being in IT I think you get upgraded to Indeed Prime. Which offers extra resources for your career search.

apply apply apply. You never know what the company is looking for. They could put up you require 50 years experience but this could be negotiable. Interviews are the best place to get a big impression both ways. Is the job right for you and are you right for the company. Alot of places will hire on attitude since its easy to get someone a bunch of certs if they have the right work ethic and have a basic understanding of computers. I have schooling in Social work yet I work in high level IT and networking. You never know where life takes you.

I would just apply for a job if they ask you about your past experience just say "I haven't had past work experience, but don't worry I know what i doing." and if don't get the job just apply for another one. and hopefully you'll get a good job soon.