FreeNAS Virtualization

I built my FreeNAS server with intent to have a couple of virtual machines running on it.

Until now, I didn't realize that the virtualization program that FreeNAS uses requires Extended page support on the CPU, and I built my system with some pretty old server hardware.

So, Is there anyway to change the program or do something to enable virtualization using basic virtualization support in FreeNAS?

Motherboard : Intel s5000psl

CPU: 2 x Xeon L5420

FreeNAS is really a purpose built solution. Although some optimization can be done you really don't want to tweak anything too advanced. You'd be more likely to brick your install.

Not to mention FreeNAS's hypervisor is not good. If you want ZFS + a good hypervisor switch over to PROXMOX.

The CPU's have VT-x support. I'm not sure how important a role EPT would play if you used QEMU but I can do some Googling.

FreeNAS is designed to be installed on bare metal. Just because it can be virtualized doesn't mean it should.

4 hours ago, alex75871 said:

FreeNAS is designed to be installed on bare metal. Just because it can be virtualized doesn't mean it should.

Virtualization inside of FreeNAS

43 minutes ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

Virtualization inside of FreeNAS

FreeNAS's VM-hypervisor (bhyve) is pretty bad, though, apparently. Usually you'd want to use quite literally anything else for virtualization.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.