Sonos 'End of Life' products to not get any new updates

dangb9
1 minute ago, Velcade said:

Please link me to JD tractors exploding due to rushed engine design. 

https://theamericangenius.com/business-news/farmers-cant-legally-fix-their-own-john-deere-tractors-due-to-copyright-laws/

That's not "exploding". The example was *customers* not the type of fault. But how customers can quickly pull out of your ecosystem if they really really see you mess up.

It's not there yet with John Deere. But as with Sonos. I wonder how hard they can tighten that screw.

7 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

https://theamericangenius.com/business-news/farmers-cant-legally-fix-their-own-john-deere-tractors-due-to-copyright-laws/

That's not "exploding". The example was *customers* not the type of fault. But how customers can quickly pull out of your ecosystem if they really really see you mess up.

It's not there yet with John Deere. But as with Sonos. I wonder how hard they can tighten that screw.

This is old news and completely different than Boeing which is complete different than Sonos.  

John Deere recently submitted a letter to the U.S. Copyright Office asking to forbid their customers from modifying the software that operates its machines.

You can still fix the tractor.  Flat tire, you can change it.  Engine oil, you can change it.  Need new AC, you can replace it.  Preventing software modification and locking down ECUs isn't a new thing.  Lots, I'd argue most, car manufacturers do the same thing.  As tech evolves you're going to run into this more and more.  The authors analogy to owning a book should be the same as owning a tractor is ridiculous. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

2 minutes ago, Velcade said:

This is old news and completely different than Boeing which is complete different than Sonos.  

You can still fix the tractor.  Flat tire, you can change it.  Engine oil, you can change it.  Need new AC, you can replace it.  Preventing software modification and locking down ECUs isn't a new thing.  Lots, I'd argue most, car manufacturers do the same thing.  As tech evolves you're going to run into this more and more.  The authors analogy to owning a book should be the same as owning a tractor is ridiculous. 

No. I'm not sure which of those, but sensors prevent you from starting the tractor back up. There are also some computer mods that just tune/change the engine management, and yeah, many are annoyed that that is locked out too. But whatever. Points, whooshed.