Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dangb9

Sonos 'End of Life' products to not get any new updates

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51206604

 

TD;LR - Sonos will no longer be updating 1st Gen play 5's, CR200 and Bridge devices from May. While they still can be used (or 'trade up' with 30% credit for each legacy product), over time without software updates sonos stated that;

Quote

Without new software updates, access to services and overall functionality of your sound system will eventually be disrupted, particularly as partners evolve their technology.

 (https://blog.sonos.com/en-gb/end-of-software-updates-for-legacy-products/)

 

 

From my point of view I have 4 play 1's, I only added more devices recently to the original 1 I had for a few years, with the feeling that been tied into one eco system (ie the need to use the sonos app to stream anything to the speaker) was a bit of a risk. Now it seems that risk is potentially going to come into play. If the future rather than new speakers I think I might just look to stick with my Bluetooth HiFi system rather than expanding by sonos system any more.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is pretty standard.  I have equipment that is at 'end of life'.  It gets no updates and has no replacement parts, when it dies that's it. It's gone. Lots of companies do this.  You can't expect companies to continue to support products indefinitely, that's insane.

 

There's a lot of hate for Sonos lately...


"A promise is a promise"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Velcade said:

This is pretty standard.  I have equipment that is at 'end of life'.  It gets no updates and has no replacement parts, when it dies that's it. It's gone. Lots of companies do this.  You can't expect companies to continue to support products indefinitely, that's insane.

 

There's a lot of hate for Sonos lately...

agreed, but I can still turn on my XP laptop and use it for its intended purpose - with this are we going to see speakers become useless bricks due to app updates which then refuses to play anything to them because they are too old?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Velcade said:

This is pretty standard.  I have equipment that is at 'end of life'.  It gets no updates and has no replacement parts, when it dies that's it. It's gone. Lots of companies do this.  You can't expect companies to continue to support products indefinitely, that's insane.

 

There's a lot of hate for Sonos lately...

What Sonos is doing is making perfectly working speakers useless by shafting the artificially required Sonos app's ability to communicate to the speakers.

No hardware failure. Deliberate software downgrade, Sonos deliberately make perfectly working speakers useless.

 

This does not happen with non-proprietary bluetooth connections.


Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

 

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dangb9 said:

agreed, but I can still turn on my XP laptop and use it for its intended purpose - with this are we going to see speakers become useless bricks due to app updates which then refuses to play anything to them because they are too old?

image.png.e99f8c725eedf759b52730903232717a.png

 

They'll still work. They just won't receive updates. 


"A promise is a promise"

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Velcade said:

image.png.e99f8c725eedf759b52730903232717a.png

 

They'll still work. They just won't receive updates. 

If that’s the case then it’s really not an issue: 

 

- It should still work through Spotify connect

- Bluetooth 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

What Sonos is doing is making perfectly working speakers useless by shafting the artificially required Sonos app's ability to communicate to the speakers.

No hardware failure. Deliberate software downgrade, Sonos deliberately make perfectly working speakers useless.

 

This does not happen with non-proprietary bluetooth connections.

Not exactly. Sonos isn't forcing you to update the software. If you run the old software, your old Sonos speakers will continue to work until the day they die.

 

However, if you want newer software with newer features that the old speakers cannot handle (usually due to limitations with the onboard SoC I'd imagine), you'll have to decide whether you want the new features or the old speakers.

 

The old speakers, of course, can be sold to someone who doesn't care about the new features, and then you can use that money towards newer Sonos speakers, if that's what you want to do.


For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Velcade said:

This is pretty standard.  I have equipment that is at 'end of life'.  It gets no updates and has no replacement parts, when it dies that's it. It's gone. Lots of companies do this.  You can't expect companies to continue to support products indefinitely, that's insane.

 

There's a lot of hate for Sonos lately...

Because they sell a product that has historically always worked. No, not wifi/IOT speakers... but audio equipment has and does last decades, if not 100 years. AM and even long wave radios STILL WORK. I really should boot up my valve radio just to be pedantic and prove the point!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really dislike the tech community's tendency to shoehorn companies into narratives based on simplistic or incomplete versions of events.

 

Case in point, Sonos.  Yeah, the Recycle Mode thing was stupid, but I don't think company execs were cackling supervillains conducting a fiendish plot.  And then comes the lawsuit against Google, and suddenly Sonos is the evil one... why?  Not because of facts, but because people didn't want let go of their hate-on for Sonos.  Then we get to today, where people are demonizing Sonos for daring to suggest that hey, maybe someone with a decade-old speaker shouldn't expect to get new features the hardware can't handle.  Never mind that Sonos offered years more support than you'll likely ever get for your Home/Echo/HomePod, it's been pre-labeled as the devil because people don't want to change their preconceived narrative.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats the issue here?

 

Its asinine to think a company should update products for life. 

 

I dont own anything sonos personally but even if i did this wouldnt bother me. 

 

Seems people just want to bitch.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Whats the issue here?

 

Its asinine to think a company should update products for life. 

 

I dont own anything sonos personally but even if i did this wouldnt bother me. 

 

Seems people just want to bitch.

 

In short: people decided Sonos was bad some weeks ago and decided that any action that could even be vaguely considered negative was a horrible, horrible crime.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Commodus said:

In short: people decided Sonos was bad some weeks ago and decided that any action that could even be vaguely considered negative was a horrible, horrible crime.

Basically.

 

If someone buys a tech product in 2020 and thinks it going to be supported in 2040 thats not an issue with the manufacturer but an issue with the buyer for just being ignorant.

 

If you want a speaker that is not reliant on software updates theres plenty of options. Go with those products.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, Commodus said:

maybe someone with a decade-old speaker shouldn't expect to get new features the hardware can't handle.

As long as they don't forcefully update apps and stop offering the compatible apps for older models, then i dont see an issue.

 

if they do, then yeah, that's a bit shitty

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like my old old laptops.  Current Windows makes them useless because they cannot handle the amount of hardware required.  If I choose to install Windows 10 on these two laptops, may as well call them bricks. 

 

However if I use them with an old OS, or a light Linux distro - they work.  

 

The way I see it, is this is very similar to how that works out for me.  I paid for these laptops, the hardware is still good - but the software of today makes them bricks.  If I use old software from its time, or light Linux they are usable computers.  So basically use old software with your Sonos speakers or they wont work?


Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM (+100mhz core clock), 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiator, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  DSI 90-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Red switches, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Hannspree HF207 and Acer AL2016W monitors

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.  Currently decommissioned to move to an mATX setup on a new MOBO once I pick one out

Schrute: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0, FX 8350, 2x Gigabyte HD 7850 2gb GPUs in crossfire, 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz, Sparkle/FSP 650w PSU, PCCOOLING 160w TDP air cooler, 60gb Patriot SSD Win 10 boot drive, 1tb WDBlack HDD, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 case.  Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, Roku 55" 4k TV

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV for form factor in the kitchen

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 2gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro at the moment

APU Laptop: I need to clean this things TIM up so it can boot into Windows 7 for more than 5 minute before overheating at idle, it has things, I just haven't been on it in 2 years or so

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

 

As long as they don't forcefully update apps and stop offering the compatible apps for older models, then i dont see an issue.

 

if they do, then yeah, that's a bit shitty

Well that's the thing, the apps will still be around and the speakers will continue to work.  Sonos just isn't promising to deliver updates for those models, and there may be a point where certain features break as Sonos' service partners change things up.  Basically: we won't break playback on purpose, but you should start preparing for a day when you may have to replace your speaker to get all the features you'd like.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you need to create a condition that hasn;t yet happened in reality in order to justify an accusation then your accusation is based on fear not reality.  If sonos don't want to keep updating a 10 year old product then fine.  I find it a bit rude to stop supporting a product that was only sold 4 years ago (I personally think we have the technology and resources to keep these things working for 7+years at least), however not to stop supporting old products in general. 

 

Now if due to this,  the device does actually stop doing what it did originally (like the original ipads did after apps wouldn't load because ios was too old thus making a perfectly serviceable computing device a paper weight) then that would need to stop.  But we have to wait and see if this happens before complaining that it is actually happening.

6 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Because they sell a product that has historically always worked. No, not wifi/IOT speakers... but audio equipment has and does last decades, if not 100 years. AM and even long wave radios STILL WORK. I really should boot up my valve radio just to be pedantic and prove the point!

 

I did just the other day, I have a valve radio from 1965, all original. I tuned into an AM station and listened to some inane talk for a while.

 


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Commodus said:

Well that's the thing, the apps will still be around and the speakers will continue to work.  Sonos just isn't promising to deliver updates for those models, and there may be a point where certain features break as Sonos' service partners change things up.  Basically: we won't break playback on purpose, but you should start preparing for a day when you may have to replace your speaker to get all the features you'd like.

All the features you’d like? Like what? It’s just a wireless speaker... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kokakolia said:

All the features you’d like? Like what? It’s just a wireless speaker... 

New services, smarter audio processing (think about that room tuning feature, but more advanced), that sort of thing.  But I think your "it's just a wireless speaker" partly explains why I'm not worried about the old systems feeling immediately obsolete.  This isn't a smartphone that has a ton of computing demands placed upon it; it's an audio device.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read an updated statement from them on tweakers.net (a dutch tech news site). They will still receive security updates and updates if possible. No new features.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2020 at 4:10 PM, Velcade said:

You can't expect companies to continue to support products indefinitely, that's insane.

But you could expect them to release the firmware source code so the community could support it. And to make sure that they maintain the basic functionality people paid for on purchase even after support ends - it's a speaker, why does it need to stop functioning as a speaker when it can no longer connect to sonos servers?

 

This is a combination of trash engineering (which unfortunately applies to most IoT) and lack of respect for their customers, all of which is enabled by hopelessly broken intellectual property laws.


...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

 

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

 

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

 

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

 

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

 

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

 

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

But you could expect them to release the firmware source code so the community could support it. And to make sure that they maintain the basic functionality people paid for on purchase even after support ends - it's a speaker, why does it need to stop functioning as a speaker when it can no longer connect to sonos servers?

Did you read the release from Sonos?  They aren't disabling the speakers, they just won't receive new updates.  It'll work just as it does currently. 


"A promise is a promise"

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Velcade said:

Did you read the release from Sonos?  They aren't disabling the speakers, they just won't receive new updates.  It'll work just as it does currently. 

Until apps stop supporting the speaker, and a IOT device is usually enough of a security risk, one without updates is something I wouldn't want on my network.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×