WordpADS - Microsoft trials ads in Wordpad.

rcmaehl
11 minutes ago, comander said:

no useful keyboard shortcuts either. 

Also no ads on most linux distros even though they have usable shortcuts. 

I don't know, I think that really depends on the user. I use all the common shortcuts like command-q, etc all the global shortcuts for save, copy, paste blah. For application-specific I don't really use them. I feel like it would matter a lot more if you are a power user, like using Premiere and other applications like that. 

Probably more relating to the topic, and on a serious note, if they implement ads in WordPad, essentially you are paying for ads, because you're paying for Windows. I don't think thats fair at all considering the price of Windows - I think on that ethos alone people would move to Linux. 

56 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I think on that ethos alone people would move to Linux. 

Sadly it wont happen. The average joe will simply freak out and flee with his tail between his legs if he are presented with anything else than windows.....  (Yeah, great job the schools done, making ppl basically addicted to windows :dry: .)

45 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Sadly it wont happen. The average joe will simply freak out and flee with his tail between his legs if he are presented with anything else than windows.....  (Yeah, great job the schools done, making ppl basically addicted to windows :dry: .)

Well they just own so much of the market and if that’s what people have used before, and with all the software, that’s what people need to learn to be successful in the industry. It’s a hard cycle I think. Agree.

48 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

not even just your "average joe" i've tried on 5 separate occasions to switch my laptop and/or HTPC to Linux, every time it would take multiple days of random repo installs, endless googling with the same (non-working) solutions and still not have something as basic as hardware acceleration for h264 decoding. this was both with ubuntu and manjaro and in the end i just give up and reinstall windows and have everything up and working within 2-3 hours.

Linux is just not user friendly, not to basic users or to tech savvy people.

To use the old Apple slogan, Windows "just works"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, comander said:

SUPER + arrow doesn't work. 
SUPER + [0-9] doesn't work. 
SUPER + P doesn't give me monitor options (I recognize it switches between virtual monitors in most *nix GUIs). 

You're pretty much forced to use a mouse/trackpad which slows things WAY WAY down if you're actually proficient with computers. 

FWIW, I have a macbook, windows/linux desktop, windows laptop for personal use and I'm writing this from a linux box at work. It's possible I've missed something on OSX but it feels like it's designed for tech-illiterate parents over power users. 
Except for screenshots... that strikes me like it's designed for masochists. 

Well yeah I guess you hit the mark, I don’t need to be too tech literate, no idea what those shortcuts do, and I don’t mind because I’d never use them. 

56 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Actually, it is more Apple. Apple is given away free systems to schools at the cost of exclusiveness, at least in Canada and US. Apple also does custom software for universities, to ensure that the students get an Apple computer.

Now, technically Microsoft offered free or discounted (we don't know) Surface Go's at select schools in the US, but that is clearly mostly for marketing purposes on the media, but nothing widespread like Apple that actively knocks on schools doors.

Windows is just there because schools gets Dell's, HP's or whatever and it comes with it. Either they buy these systems (with some discount), or donations.

Also, school being limited in how much they can pay IT professionals, most high schools get what they can get, and many times, especially smaller schools, can't afford a knowledgeable Linux based OS expert. It will be Windows.

That said, in my opinion, which is based on what I see (and experience), as a software developer, Linux based OS is not ready for desktop/laptop applications for the widespread public. I know I know.. let me explain why I say this:

In my world, People buy Mac's for having Unix backend at their disposable and staying away from the not joyful Linux experience, and WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) really made a lot of people at the office where I work switch from Linux back to Windows, and others still prefer to use VM under Windows. Despite working in a large company, I can count in my hands those who really have Linux as their main OS. To me, it highlights the issue that Linux based is not there yet. Lots of works needs to be done, and progress is, in my opinion, moving at snail paste, and lots of denial of issues from the community. I don't want to turn this into a Linux vs Windows. This is my PERSONAL observation only. My surroundings can be completely different then yours. And again NOTE that I am only referring to desktop/laptop OS, not server OS, which is, in my opinion, not even a choice. Linux or Unix. Windows is not an option, beside Domain system for Windows OSs, basically.

On 1/21/2020 at 10:29 PM, Arika S said:

give me notepad or give me death

Notepad++

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

not even just your "average joe" i've tried on 5 separate occasions to switch my laptop and/or HTPC to Linux, every time it would take multiple days of random repo installs, endless googling with the same (non-working) solutions and still not have something as basic as hardware acceleration for h264 decoding. this was both with ubuntu and manjaro and in the end i just give up and reinstall windows and have everything up and working within 2-3 hours.

The thing I found about Linux was that while it will work on a lot more things, much more than windows, it will only work *perfectly* (without any setup) on boxes that were sold with it, because a professional has gone through it and set everything on the machine up for it.  This is actually more true for windows than Linux, but more machines are set up specifically for windows.

It is still a lot more user friendly than say win98, and I’ve been having enough issues with win10 quietly turning stuff off on me that I’m starting to think it may be the lesser evil, but you are not incorrect.  Settings must be made which means text files must be edited.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Actually, it is more Apple. Apple is given away free systems to schools at the cost of exclusiveness, at least in Canada and US. Apple also does custom software for universities, to ensure that the students get an Apple computer.

Now, technically Microsoft offered free or discounted (we don't know) Surface Go's at select schools in the US, but that is clearly mostly for marketing purposes on the media, but nothing widespread like Apple that actively knocks on schools doors.

Windows is just there because schools gets Dell's, HP's or whatever and it comes with it. Either they buy these systems (with some discount), or donations.

Also, school being limited in how much they can pay IT professionals, most high schools get what they can get, and many times, especially smaller schools, can't afford a knowledgeable Linux based OS expert. It will be Windows.

That said, in my opinion, which is based on what I see (and experience), as a software developer, Linux based OS is not ready for desktop/laptop applications for the widespread public. I know I know.. let me explain why I say this:

In my world, People buy Mac's for having Unix backend at their disposable and staying away from the not joyful Linux experience, and WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) really made a lot of people at the office where I work switch from Linux back to Windows, and others still prefer to use VM under Windows. Despite working in a large company, I can count in my hands those who really have Linux as their main OS. To me, it highlights the issue that Linux based is not there yet. Lots of works needs to be done, and progress is, in my opinion, moving at snail paste, and lots of denial of issues from the community. I don't want to turn this into a Linux vs Windows. This is my PERSONAL observation only. My surroundings can be completely different then yours. And again NOTE that I am only referring to desktop/laptop OS, not server OS, which is, in my opinion, not even a choice. Linux or Unix. Windows is not an option, beside Domain system for Windows OSs, basically.

I got the impression google was going after schools very aggressively too.  Mostly in southern rural districts

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, comander said:

I want to emphasize, I've looked for equivalents on OSX. I really have. I've asked people too. The usual response is to use the trackpad. It could be that I'm not giving it enough of a shot but it feels like there's A TON more friction in terms of user experience. I should be able to launch/switch to an application with a basic shortcut that I can do with my eyes closed. I should be able to move through it with pg-up/down or occasionally arrows/scroll wheel. A computer should be a bicycle for the brain and Apple is giving everyone training wheels. 

OSX is literally a BSD front end.  Like KDE or GNOME or something.  You can even run those instead of the OSX front end.  BSD is not exactly Linux.  Linux is a copy of BSD that went off in its own direction.  Things will be slightly different.  As for the trackpad are you actually using the additional features like multifinger and multi tap?  This “roughness” thing I can’t speak to as far as I can tell you are talking about the actual touch surface itself, and that goes even beyond personal preference.  If you set off to hate on something you are probably going to succeed.

I honestly wasn't aware that Wordpad was still a component of Windows 10 anymore.......

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

13 minutes ago, comander said:

I want to emphasize, I've looked for equivalents on OSX. I really have. I've asked people too. The usual response is to use the trackpad. It could be that I'm not giving it enough of a shot but it feels like there's A TON more friction in terms of user experience. I should be able to launch/switch to an application with a basic shortcut that I can do with my eyes closed. I should be able to move through it with pg-up/down or occasionally arrows/scroll wheel. A computer should be a bicycle for the brain and Apple is giving everyone training wheels. 

Well it all depends on the person , but I get where you are coming from, you use a computer every day for work, and when you use those repetitive motions that ease your workflow, it becomes second nature. I’m not lm defending Apple or anything, it would be nice to have them, because why not - wouldn’t impact anything else and probably easy to implement.

however, necessity is the mother of invention and if there is no need on the current platform, why implement? 

3 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Probably more relating to the topic, and on a serious note, if they implement ads in WordPad, essentially you are paying for ads, because you're paying for Windows. I don't think thats fair at all considering the price of Windows - I think on that ethos alone people would move to Linux. 

You pay for wordpad no more than you pay for calculator.  There are alternatives (even free alternatives provided by MS.

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

People love to talk up Linux like it is a straight up switch for windows, it's all a hypocritical contradiction though.  For whatever reason spending a few hours trying to work out how to get wireless drivers working in linux is fine because "It's Linux" but waiting 2 minutes for your PC shut down due to a WU update is the end of the earth because "it's windows".

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 hours ago, Arika S said:

something as basic as hardware acceleration for h264 decoding

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a6857kw4p15cdca/Screenshot from 2020-01-25 10-23-54.png?dl=0

Didnt even need to tweak anything.....   The video im playing is 4k, 12 minutes long, and 5,5 Gb in size. Original videos were recorded with gopro at 4k. And this isnt limited to this machine. How many years ago was your last attempt? o.O

12 hours ago, Arika S said:

Except when it doesnt..... I actually have a cheap wintel box that came with win10, it always maxes out one core. Install linux, works as intended(except the weirdo SDIO wifi but even windows cant find it without driver so cant blame linux for it... (Not to mention the old/low end PCs/laptops that get a new life with a distro that is light on resources.)

12 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Actually, it is more Apple.

In Europe not so much but you are right, both of them is guilty.

12 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Linux based OS is not ready for desktop/laptop applications for the widespread public.

Well system76 thinks otherwise. They sell systems loaded with linux and support. They actually have their own distro called PoP!_os, which is made for their own machines mainly(they also make it available to anyone who wishes to use it). They still afloat so i dont think they have issues with sales.

13 hours ago, comander said:

I'm going to admit I'm mostly critiquing Aqua. 
Also GNU/linux is not exactly a BSD clone/fork. There's some similarity but MINIX was different. 

Minix was a not quite clone of Unix.  Not exactly the same.  Linux happened mostly because there was a lockdown on Unix do to a gigantic 4 year patent troll lawsuit.