Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
angryx

CX650M PSU

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

i tried to use my old cx650m with fe 1080ti but the motherboard set on fire and the cpu also died, i replaced the psu at the store and i got a new one now. sadly they replaced only my psu. CP-9020103-EU is the correct model written on the box. is this a good psu for at least the gtx 1080? i'm afraid to set my new pc on fire again XD

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, angryx said:

i tried to use my old cx650m with fe 1080ti but the motherboard set on fire and the cpu also died, i replaced the psu at the store and i got a new one now. sadly they replaced only my psu. CP-9020103-EU is the correct model written on the box. is this a good psu for at least the gtx 1080? i'm afraid to set my new pc on fire again XD

 

CX650M is not best model but still not the worst I’ve seen. 650w should be enough for 1080.

You said that previous psu was old, how old? Any chance it get damaged somehow? Ripped cable etc, this may cause the short.


   @Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4) 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

                EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

                EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

                EKWB EK Thermosphere 

                EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

                EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

                EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

                EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

                EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

                EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

 

                                          WHIRO

         THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

 

        He feast on the dead to inherit their power

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, angryx said:

CP-9020103-EU

 

That's the newest version of the CX650M.

 

What caused the fire?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

yes i mentioned it was old but no it was a new psu with same model. it was purchased on 19th February 2019. it still had warranty so the store replaced it. i have no idea what caused the fire. i just tried to power up my gtx 1080 ti fe with z370 and 9600k and it set on fire. i had luck only the mobo and cpu damaged ram and card is still working but i sold it to someone

 

i guess the fe gtx 1080 ti was just too power hungry and psu can't handle it and it caused the fire

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, angryx said:

i guess the fe gtx 1080 ti was just too power hungry and psu can't handle it and it caused the fire

not if opp should've triggered here

 

the worst that should happen with one is that it starts to make a coil whine sound, not catch fire. I would recommend to explain it as detailed as possible to @jonnyGURU, since he's the main designer at corsair themselves

 

and do quote people, otherwise we don't get notifications 


PSU Tier List 4.0//Motherboard Tier List//Community Standards//ATX Specification//Group Regulation//Topologies and Regulations//How many watts?//PSU Protections

Don't forget to quote or mention me

 

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k 5.0ghz

GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming

RAM: 2x8 3333 mhz DDR4 Trident Z

MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC

HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB

Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB (modified)

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX650

 

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 Slim Glacier White 500 GB

PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 GB

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
33 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

not if opp should've triggered here

 

the worst that should happen with one is that it starts to make a coil whine sound, not catch fire. I would recommend to explain it as detailed as possible to @jonnyGURU, since he's the main designer at corsair themselves

 

and do quote people, otherwise we don't get notifications 

ok.

 

well i bought and then used the CX650M with skylake 6700 cpu and 1060 gpu, everythink was fine and working.

i had another pc with 8600K cpu and 1080ti fe gpu. it had other seasonic 850w psu. someone wanted to buy the pc with the z370 mobo and 8600k cpu and 1080ti fe from me and i thought the 850w psu is too much for that pc so i changed the psu to my CX650M. then after i finished changing psu i tried to power it up and the Z370 motherboard started smoking. the 1080ti fe was spinning like crazy and the led on the gpu flickered like something is shorting. i got scared and pulled the power out of the wall and in result the CX650M psu, Z370 mobo and 8600k cpu died. is this detailed enough? there is no way i connected something wrong because i'm always double check if everything is connected correctly.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, angryx said:

ok.

 

well i bought and then used the CX650M with skylake 6700 cpu and 1060 gpu, everythink was fine and working.

i had another pc with 8600K cpu and 1080ti fe gpu. it had other seasonic 850w psu. someone wanted to buy the pc with the z370 mobo and 8600k cpu and 1080ti fe from me and i thought the 850w psu is too much for that pc so i changed the psu to my CX650M. then after i finished changing psu i tried to power it up and the Z370 motherboard started smoking. the 1080ti fe was spinning like crazy and the led on the gpu flickered like something is shorting. i got scared and pulled the power out of the wall and in result the CX650M psu, Z370 mobo and 8600k cpu died. is this detailed enough? there is no way i connected something wrong because i'm always double check if everything is connected correctly.

 

Were you using the cables that came with the CX650M or the cables that were already in the build that came with the Seasonic PSU?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Were you using the cables that came with the CX650M or the cables that were already in the build that came with the Seasonic PSU?

i removed every cable of the previous seasonic psu and placed it back to its box and used the correct cables of the CX650M psu, i always check that first.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, angryx said:

i removed every cable of the previous seasonic psu and placed it back to its box and used the correct cables of the CX650M psu, i always check that first.

It's weird.  Power supplies don't just catch components on fire.  Especially if it was a PSU that was already working in another PC.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's weird.  Power supplies don't just catch components on fire.  Especially if it was a PSU that was already working in another PC.

 

i know. but sadly it happened. 

could it be a static electricity?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×