fiber optic ethernet cable to run from pc to modem/router

Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,

Cat5e copper Ethernet cables can run 100m(328ft.) at 1Gbit before seeing any performance or reliability degradation.

But if you are insistent in your idea you could use media converters. Connect copper to the media converter. Run fiber to your room. Convert back to copper. I don't really recommend it though unless you have a seriously far away computer. Beyond 100m away.

I am currently in a room in my house with direct connection to the router via digital ethernet cable to lan1 in the router.
However I am moving to the upstairs bedroom of the house and wont be near the router anymore so I won't be able to connect with the same ethernet cable anymore.

• I do not want to switch to wi-fi since I usually host servers in games for my online friends, and I really enjoy having a solid connection at all times.

I want to run an ethernet cable from the modem to my pc upstairs when I change rooms, but I do not want to run a digital ethernet cable very far since it will have a drop off so I want to see about running a fiber optic cable??

Do they make fiber optic ethernet cables that I can just simply connect to my motherboards lan port and routers lan1 port without any extra equipment?

Would probably need a 10m(30ft) cable to 15m at most.

Any help would be appreciated!

You can safely run cheap cat5es upto 100meters without losing gigabit capability. Running fiber for 15 meters is not feasible at all, plus fiber optic cables are much more fragile than copper cables.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Cat5e copper Ethernet cables can run 100m(328ft.) at 1Gbit before seeing any performance or reliability degradation.

But if you are insistent in your idea you could use media converters. Connect copper to the media converter. Run fiber to your room. Convert back to copper. I don't really recommend it though unless you have a seriously far away computer. Beyond 100m away.

Just now, machinima811 said:

cat 5e are digital right? and they'll work fine?

They transmit a digital signal yes but they don't use light like fiberoptics.

Never understood the appeal of those ribbon style cables. The round ones are better at being grouped into bushels and I can't say how good the cross-talk/interference resistance is of these cables over long distances.

Wait for a second opinion before letting what I say about that cable bother you though. I've not used them extensively.

14 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Never understood the appeal of those ribbon style cables. The round ones are better at being grouped into bushels and I can't say how good the cross-talk/interference resistance is of these cables over long distances.

Wait for a second opinion before letting what I say about that cable bother you though. I've not used them extensively.

could be about cost, being in the telecom industry everyone gets the flat line tel cord to run new tel and sometimes ethernet runs. Now that we are pushing lots more bandwidth down our tel lines these do not work. Ethernet people just think 2 pair lines are the same as 4 pair. working with the public who think they know everything and we the experts are wrong.