DAP for Sennheiser HD58X

Kobathor
Go to solution Solved by EmoRarity,
2 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

I don't want to use my phone because 1) it will use quite a bit of battery and 2) I only have 128GB non-expandable storage on the Pixel 3. All of the FLACs I have would eat through that storage. I probably should have put that in the OP, my apologies! :(

FiiO M7 maybe? Reviews from its release are positive and it's down to $130 on Amazon. I may have answered my own question haha.

It's your potato my man, fiio makes nice stuff, I've been happy with everything I own from them.

Hey Audio guys. I bought the Massdrop HD58X headphones after trying my brother's pair and I love them. While my PC drives them well and sounds great, the Google headphone adapter for my Pixel 3 simply doesn't provide enough power to drive them at a good volume without sounding bad. I don't enjoy being tethered to my PC to listen to music, so I'd like a DAP to drive the headphones elsewhere (and save battery + storage on my phone).

So, I'm looking for a DAP. I don't mind saving up $300 or so if it means getting a high-quality player. I am thinking of getting the ACTIVO CT10 after watching Techmoan's review of it but, since I'm inexperienced, I'm totally open to alternatives. I've read reviews calling Sony's players overpriced, and a lot of people seem to enjoy FiiO's offerings. Please advise!

Going through my CD collection, it seems I mostly listen to Rock, if that matters at all. Thanks for reading.

I used to be quite active here.

The 58x is pretty damn efficient in all honesty most DAPs given they have a clean output and UI and has all the apps you need ie. Spotify, tidal, qobuz. Fiio is great for midrange to high end options but I'm not too informed with DAPs cause I'm not really into them personally.

9 minutes ago, rice guru said:

The 58x is pretty damn efficient in all honesty most DAPs given they have a clean output and UI and has all the apps you need ie. Spotify, tidal, qobuz. Fiio is great for midrange to high end options but I'm not too informed with DAPs cause I'm not really into them personally.

I am now reading reviews for some FiiO players. Also I don't really need WiFi since I'm only gonna load my CD rips onto the player.

Hifiman also makes some quality stuff. I'd recommend the fiio stuff because of the price.

9 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

I am now reading reviews for some FiiO players. Also I don't really need WiFi since I'm only gonna load my CD rips onto the player.

Like if your intention is to use it with your phone you can just buy something like a Nextdrive Spectra or a Hidizs Sonata if you want something cheaper

My life

4 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Like if your intention is to use it with your phone you can just buy something like a Nextdrive Spectra or a Hidizs Sonata if you want something cheaper

1 minute ago, EmoRarity said:

Alternatively, fiio btr3 and continue to use your phone.

I don't want to use my phone because 1) it will use quite a bit of battery and 2) I only have 128GB non-expandable storage on the Pixel 3. All of the FLACs I have would eat through that storage. I probably should have put that in the OP, my apologies! :(

FiiO M7 maybe? Reviews from its release are positive and it's down to $130 on Amazon. I may have answered my own question haha.

2 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

It's your potato my man, fiio makes nice stuff, I've been happy with everything I own from them.

1 minute ago, EmoRarity said:

Alright, thanks for the advice :)

47 minutes ago, EmoRarity said:

Same from me as well I always consider their shit with the exception of the e10k but the stuff I've had and tried recently from them are quality