Looking to run two monitors, should they be the same resolution and size ?

Hello,

Im looking to run a dual or possibly three screen set up for gaming/streaming but I already have a 25” 165hz 1080p monitor which is great but will it matter or effect anything if I decide to get A 1440p 27” screen ? 

This is so I have a 1440p monitor for the visuals on some games I’d like to enjoy and play and then refresh rate on the more fast paced fps games which don’t need to look great on my 25” ? 

any thoughts or help is much appreciated !   

1 minute ago, TeaRoomMosh said:

<snip>

You should be fine to  have two different size monitors (not sure about resolution though) 

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

Yea different resolutions is not something to worry about. What you will want to watch out for is if your GPU can handle two high performance monitors. You may bring the refresh rate down to 60hz on the 1080p one if your 1440p monitor is 144hz or anything above 60hz.

if you're not using them both simultaneously it shouldn't be an issue, definitely more efficient than my desk with 2 computers, one with a 4k60 and the other 1440p 144hz. If you wanted a clean match for mouse movement across a work-space it would be a bit easier with 2 of the same monitors, same as trying to add displays together for games although usually you would use 3 or more for that (1 center and 2 peripheral)

edit: I'm not aware of any driver bugs or limitations, from what I have seen that shouldn't be an issue these days

36 minutes ago, Spaceman_Wil said:

Yea different resolutions is not something to worry about. What you will want to watch out for is if your GPU can handle two high performance monitors. You may bring the refresh rate down to 60hz on the 1080p one if your 1440p monitor is 144hz or anything above 60hz.

I’m looking to upgrade and run a 2070s, so could I maybe use which ever monitor and then cap the other monitor to like to you say 60hz to get around the possible issue or should it be fine to run say a 165hz 1080p and a 144hz 1440p ? 

thank you for your response ! 

When you run a monitor at 144hz/165hz/anything above 60hz, your GPU has to work harder just to run that monitor. So if you have two monitors running at a high refresh rate, you will see that extra work your GPU is having to do reflected in your gaming. You will see less performance, lower frame rates, and higher GPU temps. If your 1080p monitor is just for streaming/youtube/non gaming applications, you really don't need anything above 60hz.

56 minutes ago, TeaRoomMosh said:

Hello,

Im looking to run a dual or possibly three screen set up for gaming/streaming but I already have a 25” 165hz 1080p monitor which is great but will it matter or effect anything if I decide to get A 1440p 27” screen ? 

This is so I have a 1440p monitor for the visuals on some games I’d like to enjoy and play and then refresh rate on the more fast paced fps games which don’t need to look great on my 25” ? 

any thoughts or help is much appreciated !   

There is another option, since it doesn't really sound like you're going to use both monitors at the same time specifically. You could pick up a switch for your displays and just toggle over to the one you want to use at the time.