x570 aorus master HDD slow

Tonyboss

Hi.
Another topic for x570 aorus master mobo.

My machine was build in 27th December. Its piratically new.
I have a SSD M2 mvne Samsung Evo as primary for windows and softwares.

1x HDD Seagate 6TB 3.5" as secondary
1x HDD Western Digital Black 1TB 2.5" third
1x HDD external USB 3.0 Seagate Expansion 3.5" 4TB for keeping files and backups.

I have made tests. If i have the external HDD USB 3.1 connected when boot to start windows the Aorus Master x570 take to much time to boot. Almost 30/45 seconds.
The most fast boot is only with the primary SSD internal.

Is there any workaround? Or this is normal on this x570 gigabyte platform?

Any suggestions.
Cheers.

Are you booting from the m.2 NVMe?  You are trying to boot and initialize an external storage device...initializing storage me thinks takes extra time cause even USB 3.1 is slow in reality compared to sata/m.2.  If i'm not mistaken, and i'm only on my 2nd cup of coffee, the OS has to build a registry of what's in that 4tb external drive through an otherwise straw-sized USB 3.1 port.  The solution to the problem may be to never reboot your machine except after OS updates...just put it to sleep when not using...and have OS check for updates like 2am Sunday mornings or something when you are most likely asleep...PC should do a restart, after OS update, and go back into sleep mode.  That all said if you want blistering bootup times...ditch USB connected storage.  It would be interesting if you ran crystaldisk benchmark against your external storage device to see how slow/fast it is...

Hi.

Yes i am booting from primary disk that is SSD NVMe inserted in first slot "M2A.Socket" that was formated just for windows and softwares installed.
All the others internal HDD´s are connected at 2nd and 3th SATA3 ports.

If i remove the usb external HDD i can get acceptable boot times.
Why this is happen? even my old laptop that have 1xSSD primary + 1M2 small + HDD in dvd bay doens do this. Its an intel cpu from 2016.

?

check in bios what boot sequence you have and put the ssd at the top. you might find that the bios is looking at all hhd's in turn for the windows installation before looking at the ssd

Hi boggy.
I have removed all HDD`s from boot disk sequence.
Only remain the NVMe SSD primary in that bios list - sorry - the bios list show 2 names:

1: Windows Management boot SSD (or something near this)

2: SSD Samsung EVO
3:
4:
5:
6:

I have contacted gigabyte support for this and more like i was post in some other topics
Small issues after small issues on a new machine i can not handle.

HDD issues slow.
Audio Jack in front panel wont give me normal sound. Need to connect the split cable
Bluetooth wont control volume slider for external speakers.
Optical audio on rear panel when moving, forwarding any youtube or music on any webpage results in crackling and popping strange sounds. The only way i can get smooth results was the remove completely all audio drivers and remains with the default windows one.

Have you physically disconnected all drives except the m.2 and tried to boot ?  

On 1/23/2020 at 12:29 PM, Stu_Bear said:

Have you physically disconnected all drives except the m.2 and tried to boot ?  

yes. it boot normaly. still a bit slow compared with my old laptop with am ssd to.

after all. i found that the slow down was due to the external usb hdd drive. i dont know why but the slowing down is from there.

i have remove all hdd from boot list and kept only with primary ssd nvme. it feels a bit more fast but not fast enough has i supouse. i don know this is normal. but it takes 15 sec to boot.

59 minutes ago, Tonyboss said:

yes. it boot normaly. still a bit slow compared with my old laptop with am ssd to.

after all. i found that the slow down was due to the external usb hdd drive. i dont know why but the slowing down is from there.

i have remove all hdd from boot list and kept only with primary ssd nvme. it feels a bit more fast but not fast enough has i supouse. i don know this is normal. but it takes 15 sec to boot.

15 seconds isn't shabby, but for an NVMe a tad slowish.  I'd check within task manager and see what you got in your "startup" tab...maybe too many things trying to startup at boot time?  Maybe disable all that is not required?  If that doesn't work...I'd do a fresh install of your OS on the NVMe...just to blow out any funkiness.  If you are running Windows 10 there's a script you can run named something like "WindowsDebloater" that will get rid of the bloatware...might help.  Not bragging, but my rig boots from a sata ssd and never takes more than 10 secs.  I've disabled virtually everything at startup save for windows defender and my audio devices...also I ran the debloater script after my last fresh install.

12 hours ago, Stu_Bear said:

15 seconds isn't shabby, but for an NVMe a tad slowish.  I'd check within task manager and see what you got in your "startup" tab...maybe too many things trying to startup at boot time?  Maybe disable all that is not required?  If that doesn't work...I'd do a fresh install of your OS on the NVMe...just to blow out any funkiness.  If you are running Windows 10 there's a script you can run named something like "WindowsDebloater" that will get rid of the bloatware...might help.  Not bragging, but my rig boots from a sata ssd and never takes more than 10 secs.  I've disabled virtually everything at startup save for windows defender and my audio devices...also I ran the debloater script after my last fresh install.

Nice tip.
Yes, i have made another fresh install. This time, for the installation i have removed all HDD from Sata connection to remain only with the NVME for instalation.
The boot time still the same.
I do not have nothing heavy on startup to. Just Realtek audio. Logitech mouse. The Gigabyte App center. The RGB gigabyte. ( i have to have this because RGB wont start if this app wont run at startup...
Well this mobo have the "ultrafast boot" option to enable but if so then its impossible to access BIOS (so e leave it on norma mode)
I did not know about the Windows Debloater. I sure i will investigate.

Cheers.

On 1/29/2020 at 1:54 PM, Stu_Bear said:

You never mentioned what your CPU is...inquiring minds want to know.

Sorry; here are the all specs from this machine

CPU - AMD 3950x (with latest chipset driver)
MOBO - x570 Aorus Master Rev1.0 Bios F11 (latest till now)
RAM - 4x16GB (64GB) - G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3200 CL 14 14-14-34
GPU - RTX 2080Ti Zotac Twin Fan
SSD - NVMe SSD 970 EVO Plus Samsung 500gb

HDD - 3.5" Seagate IronWolf 6TB 7200rpm 256MB cache
HDD - 2.5" WD Black 1TB 7200rpm 64MB cache

PSU - Seasonic Prime 750w Gold 80+
CASE - Fractal Meshify C
Windows 10 Pro (Latest build version)

All latest drivers installed as well windows updates.
This machine was bought by parts on the same shop and assembled by me at home.
This build was completed on 27th December 2019.

8 minutes ago, Tonyboss said:

Sorry; here are the all specs from this machine

CPU - AMD 3950x (with latest chipset driver)
MOBO - x570 Aorus Master Rev1.0 Bios F11 (latest till now)
RAM - 4x16GB (64GB) - G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3200 CL 14 14-14-34
GPU - RTX 2080Ti Zotac Twin Fan
SSD - NVMe SSD 970 EVO Plus Samsung 500gb

HDD - 3.5" Seagate IronWolf 6TB 7200rpm 256MB cache
HDD - 2.5" WD Black 1TB 7200rpm 64MB cache

PSU - Seasonic Prime 750w Gold 80+
CASE - Fractal Meshify C
Windows 10 Pro (Latest build version)

All latest drivers installed as well windows updates.
This machine was bought by parts on the same shop and assembled by me at home.
This build was completed on 27th December 2019.

That's a sweet rig...doesn't make sense it takes so long to boot.  If you ship it to me I bet over the course of a year I could figure it out ;)

13 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

That's a sweet rig...doesn't make sense it takes so long to boot.  If you ship it to me I bet over the course of a year I could figure it out ;)

This was a project of about 3 years saving money to build this specially for 3D model and ArchViz works.
I am architect and i need some machine like this. Renderings, Viewports with lots of poligons and landscapes. A lot of meshes. And those meshes and PBR textures alocate theirs informations before rendering inside RAM. So, this parts was product of much hours of study and wainting for best components to group them in one single machine.

Just one piece that today i still mind about it. GPU. i think it was better to get the QUADRO RTX 4000.
But in the end of the day i think 2080TI was a solid option for years to come

Well, as i am not a "gamer" and for that i have PS4, i got regular mice, keyboard and headsets.

Headset from CORSAIR HS35
Keyboard - Logitec K360
Mice - Logitech G403

• 2 months later...

Tony, did you figure out the problem?  I am having terrible slow down issues with a x570 Aorus Master, Rysen 3900x, WD 1tb SSD blue OS and Samsung 970 1tb.

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2020 at 10:23 PM, UnmannedFarmer said:

Tony, did you figure out the problem?  I am having terrible slow down issues with a x570 Aorus Master, Rysen 3900x, WD 1tb SSD blue OS and Samsung 970 1tb.

Hi. 
Sorry for this delay. I have a lots of work since COVID-19 attack strike my country Portugal.
Yes, with some help and advises from Linus forums users. I think the problem was not in fact a problem but a workaround on first day install.
It was advised when fresh formatting disable SATA cables from secondary's HDD. Just remain connected 1Master SSD for install OS. After that reconnect all secondary HDDs or SSDs. Problem solved here.
But honestly i found that my old laptop i7 4cores SSD Samsung PRO is boot fast than my new rig x570 aorus master + 3950x 64GB Ram. Gigabyte is a bit slow on booting. I found thats normal. I never count the speed time but it takes like 15seconds. If i disconnect external backup HDD via usb 3 it become a little more fast. Like 12 seconds.
I found that the latest Chip AMD driver bring some sort of boost. At least on idle. It scores 4.295/4.3Ghz on 4/6 cores.