More storage need for Synology Hybrid Raid 1: what size HDD?

Hi Hall,

Synology DS918+ with 2 X 10 TB drives and setup with SHR 1.

I'm thinking of adding another drive. Obviously, the more space the better, Especially as I have DSLR RAWs and movie library with Plex.

Thing is: adding a 14 TB drive will only give me 10 TB worth of free space as SHR 1 always make the bigger drive the RAID one. Do I bite the bullet and get a 14 TB (effectively adding 9.1 TB of free space now and than smile that the NEXT time I add a 14 TB drive, 14 TB will be freed?

Or do I go for the cheaper 10 TB drive? Storage gets cheaper every day but if I run out of bays, buying the extension or a new, more powerful NAS will be even more expensive.

I'm currently sometimes experiencing lack of power for Plex transcodes.

Currently have about 3.x TB free out of 9.1 available. Thanks,

If you really need that much storage to where an extra 4TB per disk is an important decision you should really have bought a unit with more bays to begin with or built your own server with more bays.

Going over the 8~10TB mark you start paying more per TB. The best bang for your buck deal are drives in the 8~10TB area.

If density is important you can opt for even denser disks but know you're paying for the density.