Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sykotikman

Ryzen owners ? have any problems with fan/s control ??

Posted · Original PosterOP

Built a 3600 and MSI b450m mortar max system over the weekend , and have noticed that i don't have any "real" control over my fans

even setting a fan curve in the BIOS has no real effect as to how their should be responding !
PWM set to all sys fans in the BIOS , but only seem to be spinning at half speed ( i know they'll go faster - same case and fans as my last rig )

anyone else noticed that they fans ain't doing what they should be doing ?

MSI commander pro , seems to work ( but after a restart i have readjust them to were i want them again ( which isn't convenient at all )
speedfan - doesn't work ( too out dated )

I dont thinks its a CPU, but rather a mainboard problem.

Maybe try to reflash the BIOS and see if that fixes it. That worked for me on a ASUS X470 Prime board which also had some problems

My Gaming PC:
Asus Strix RTX 2080 2150MHz core, 14500MHz memory
i7 8700k @5GHz delid + a fuckton of voltage (1.375V, yeah its a below average OCer) - NZXT x72
G.Skill Trident Z @3300MHz 32GB (3466 and 3200 mixed) OC
Asus Maximus X Hero
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB (Windows)
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (Games)
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (Stuff)
Seagate Expension Desk 4TB (Shadowplay and Backups)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11Dynamic
ROG SWIFT PG258Q  240hz

Razer Viper Ultimate / Endgame Gear XM1 / Logitech G Pro Wireless (Corepad Skatez) 
Ducky One 2 TKL RGB MX Blue/Silver (One 2 Mecha Mini soon?)

My Silent Multimedia PC:

Ryzen 2700 @4GHz 1.34V - Noctua NH-D15

Powecolor RX 5700 XT Red Devil 2100MHz

G.Skill Aegis 3000MHz

MSI B450 Pro Carbon

Kingston A400 240GB (Windows) + 480GB (Games)

Corsair RM-650

Be Quiet Silent Base 601 with 1x 140mm Noctua exhaust from my D15

Samsung Q60R (4k 60hz for Windows, 1440p 120hz Freesync for gaming)

Logitech G Pro Wireless

Ducky One 2 Mini MX RED

9 minutes ago, sykotikman said:

PWM all to all sys fans in the BIOS

So are you sure they're PWM but not DC ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

9 hours ago, Juular said:

So are you sure they're PWM but not DC ?

Yes all set to PWM , 

Even if i set them back to default  , their only running at about 40/50% at best under load 

might try and flash  back to the previous BIOS    see if that makes any difference ..

I actually have the same problem on an Asus mobo, just DC controlled fans, but I didn't bother doing anything with it because temp was good enough. (I know higher rpm case fans would probably have caused lower rpm GPU/CPU fan, but I did bother).

And at this point I am soon upgrading anyway.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Mihle said:

I actually have the same problem on an Asus mobo, just DC controlled fans, but I didn't bother doing anything with it because temp was good enough. (I know higher rpm case fans would probably have caused lower rpm GPU/CPU fan, but I did bother).

And at this point I am soon upgrading anyway.

Is that b450 MAX ( or standard b450 ) mobo  ? 

Might return this one and pick up a b450 ( none MAX and not MSI ) and just do the bios update on it , too get it to work with the 3600 

11 hours ago, sykotikman said:

Built a 3600 and MSI b450m mortar max system over the weekend , and have noticed that i don't have any "real" control over my fans

even setting a fan curve in the BIOS has no real effect as to how their should be responding !
PWM set to all sys fans in the BIOS , but only seem to be spinning at half speed ( i know they'll go faster - same case and fans as my last rig )

MSI commander pro , seems to work ( but after a restart i have readjust them to were i want them again ( which isn't convenient at all )

This is a motherboard issue AGESA has ZERO control over fan speed

4 minutes ago, CPUguy101 said:

This is a motherboard issue AGESA has ZERO control over fan speed

Is this issue with "all" b450 mobo or just MSI's ? 

is there a fix for my  MSI mobo ? ( work around ?)   

18 minutes ago, sykotikman said:

Is this issue with "all" b450 mobo or just MSI's ? 

is there a fix for my  MSI mobo ? ( work around ?)   

A couple of things first is it plugged into the 4 pin fan connector and is it a PWM fan? 

Also make sure you have the most up to date bios. Chipset has nothing to do with the fan speeds it's either not a PWM fan or its on a 3pin fan connector or its a bios issue that is specific to that bios

17 hours ago, sykotikman said:

Is it overheating? Until that happens the fans will stay at a low speed.

I'm currently using a Gigabyte B450 ITX and it doesn't hesitate to ramp up the fans when needed. 

I only have 2 headers on mine - CPU & system_fan. CPU is of course set to cool itself, but System is set to piggy-back the CPU temps. (Only other options are manual, chipset & full)

So my entire chassis will spin up when the CPU passes 60°c. 

(Currently waiting for a low profile cooler to replace the Wraith Spire)

6 hours ago, sykotikman said:

Is that b450 MAX ( or standard b450 ) mobo  ? 

Might return this one and pick up a b450 ( none MAX and not MSI ) and just do the bios update on it , too get it to work with the 3600 

Nah, it's not, I have a i5 3570k :P, so can't help you.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

8 hours ago, CPUguy101 said:

A couple of things first is it plugged into the 4 pin fan connector and is it a PWM fan? 

Also make sure you have the most up to date bios. Chipset has nothing to do with the fan speeds it's either not a PWM fan or its on a 3pin fan connector or its a bios issue that is specific to that bios

Yes all fans are plugged in to the 4 pin fan headers , ( how ever their connected with a splitter)  two to the sys fan 1 and two to the sys fan 2 

fans are the corsair sp120 PWM's 

yes the bios is the latest from MSI ..

3 hours ago, Kc7vwc said:

Is it overheating? Until that happens the fans will stay at a low speed.

I'm currently using a Gigabyte B450 ITX and it doesn't hesitate to ramp up the fans when needed. 

I only have 2 headers on mine - CPU & system_fan. CPU is of course set to cool itself, but System is set to piggy-back the CPU temps. (Only other options are manual, chipset & full)

So my entire chassis will spin up when the CPU passes 60°c. 

(Currently waiting for a low profile cooler to replace the Wraith Spire)

No not over heating  ,but even while under load the CPU will reach 85+c running aida64 the fans will not increase at all  !!

surely their should increase ? 

making a fan curve in the BIOS makes no difference at all .

thats what im trying to do , ( low speed while idling  and ramp up while gaming above  50c )