Ryzen owners ? have any problems with fan/s control ??

Built a 3600 and MSI b450m mortar max system over the weekend , and have noticed that i don't have any "real" control over my fans

even setting a fan curve in the BIOS has no real effect as to how their should be responding !
PWM set to all sys fans in the BIOS , but only seem to be spinning at half speed ( i know they'll go faster - same case and fans as my last rig )

anyone else noticed that they fans ain't doing what they should be doing ?

MSI commander pro , seems to work ( but after a restart i have readjust them to were i want them again ( which isn't convenient at all )
speedfan - doesn't work ( too out dated )

I dont thinks its a CPU, but rather a mainboard problem.

Maybe try to reflash the BIOS and see if that fixes it. That worked for me on a ASUS X470 Prime board which also had some problems

My Gaming PC:
Inno3D iChill Black - RTX 4080 - +500 Memory, undervolted Core, 2xCorsair QX120 (push) + 2xInno3D 120mm (pull)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D - NZXT x72
G.SKILL Trident Z @6000MHz CL30 - 2x16GB
Asus Strix X670E-E Gaming

1x500GB Samsung 960 Pro (Windows 11)

1x2TB Kingston KC3000 (Games)

1x1TB WD Blue SN550 (Programs)

1x1TB Samsung 870 EVO (Programs)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11 Vision
ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM (240hz OLED), MSI Optix MAG274QRFDE-QD, BenQ ZOWIE XL2720

Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Wooting 60HE

Audeze LCD2-C + FiiO K3

Klipsch RP600-M + Klipsch R-120 SW

My Notebook:

MacBook Pro 16 M1 - 16GB

Proxmox-Cluster:

• Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus Strix X570E F-Gaming, 2x32GB3200MHz ECC, 2x 512GB NVMe ZFS-Mirror (Boot + Testing-VMs), 2x14TB ZFS-Mirror + 1x3TB (TrueNAS-VM), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 10G NIC
  • i7 8700k delidded undervolted, Gigabyte Z390 UD, 4x16GB 3200MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC
  • i5 4670, 3x4GB + 1x8GB 1600MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC

Proxmox-Backup-Server:

• i5 4670, 4x4GB 1600MHz, 2x2TB ZFS-Mirror, 2,5G NIC

9 minutes ago, sykotikman said:

PWM all to all sys fans in the BIOS

So are you sure they're PWM but not DC ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

9 hours ago, Juular said:

So are you sure they're PWM but not DC ?

Yes all set to PWM , 

Even if i set them back to default  , their only running at about 40/50% at best under load 

might try and flash  back to the previous BIOS    see if that makes any difference ..

I actually have the same problem on an Asus mobo, just DC controlled fans, but I didn't bother doing anything with it because temp was good enough. (I know higher rpm case fans would probably have caused lower rpm GPU/CPU fan, but I did bother).

And at this point I am soon upgrading anyway.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Mihle said:

I actually have the same problem on an Asus mobo, just DC controlled fans, but I didn't bother doing anything with it because temp was good enough. (I know higher rpm case fans would probably have caused lower rpm GPU/CPU fan, but I did bother).

And at this point I am soon upgrading anyway.

Is that b450 MAX ( or standard b450 ) mobo  ? 

Might return this one and pick up a b450 ( none MAX and not MSI ) and just do the bios update on it , too get it to work with the 3600 

11 hours ago, sykotikman said:

Built a 3600 and MSI b450m mortar max system over the weekend , and have noticed that i don't have any "real" control over my fans

even setting a fan curve in the BIOS has no real effect as to how their should be responding !
PWM set to all sys fans in the BIOS , but only seem to be spinning at half speed ( i know they'll go faster - same case and fans as my last rig )

MSI commander pro , seems to work ( but after a restart i have readjust them to were i want them again ( which isn't convenient at all )

This is a motherboard issue AGESA has ZERO control over fan speed

4 minutes ago, CPUguy101 said:

This is a motherboard issue AGESA has ZERO control over fan speed

Is this issue with "all" b450 mobo or just MSI's ? 

is there a fix for my  MSI mobo ? ( work around ?)   

18 minutes ago, sykotikman said:

Is this issue with "all" b450 mobo or just MSI's ? 

is there a fix for my  MSI mobo ? ( work around ?)   

A couple of things first is it plugged into the 4 pin fan connector and is it a PWM fan? 

Also make sure you have the most up to date bios. Chipset has nothing to do with the fan speeds it's either not a PWM fan or its on a 3pin fan connector or its a bios issue that is specific to that bios

17 hours ago, sykotikman said:

Is it overheating? Until that happens the fans will stay at a low speed.

I'm currently using a Gigabyte B450 ITX and it doesn't hesitate to ramp up the fans when needed. 

I only have 2 headers on mine - CPU & system_fan. CPU is of course set to cool itself, but System is set to piggy-back the CPU temps. (Only other options are manual, chipset & full)

So my entire chassis will spin up when the CPU passes 60°c. 

(Currently waiting for a low profile cooler to replace the Wraith Spire)

6 hours ago, sykotikman said:

Is that b450 MAX ( or standard b450 ) mobo  ? 

Might return this one and pick up a b450 ( none MAX and not MSI ) and just do the bios update on it , too get it to work with the 3600 

Nah, it's not, I have a i5 3570k :P, so can't help you.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

8 hours ago, CPUguy101 said:

A couple of things first is it plugged into the 4 pin fan connector and is it a PWM fan? 

Also make sure you have the most up to date bios. Chipset has nothing to do with the fan speeds it's either not a PWM fan or its on a 3pin fan connector or its a bios issue that is specific to that bios

Yes all fans are plugged in to the 4 pin fan headers , ( how ever their connected with a splitter)  two to the sys fan 1 and two to the sys fan 2 

fans are the corsair sp120 PWM's 

yes the bios is the latest from MSI ..

3 hours ago, Kc7vwc said:

Is it overheating? Until that happens the fans will stay at a low speed.

I'm currently using a Gigabyte B450 ITX and it doesn't hesitate to ramp up the fans when needed. 

I only have 2 headers on mine - CPU & system_fan. CPU is of course set to cool itself, but System is set to piggy-back the CPU temps. (Only other options are manual, chipset & full)

So my entire chassis will spin up when the CPU passes 60°c. 

(Currently waiting for a low profile cooler to replace the Wraith Spire)

No not over heating  ,but even while under load the CPU will reach 85+c running aida64 the fans will not increase at all  !!

surely their should increase ? 

making a fan curve in the BIOS makes no difference at all .

thats what im trying to do , ( low speed while idling  and ramp up while gaming above  50c ) 

• 1 year later...

We have the same board, I'm using ID-Cooling HA-01 fan hub. I updated my bios to latest 7B89v2C (Feb 1, 2021 build). After updating, my fans went full speed and can't control even though set to PWM mode. It seems like a board issue. I reverted back to 7B89v28 (June 16, 2020 build) which seems fine and have the control over the fans.