Better for the long run

RandomKidd

So I'm split between the RX 5700 and the RX 5600 XT. I bought a Ryzen 5 3600 and am planning to game kn 1080/60 for now, along other stuff like photo and video editing. I won't upgrade it for the next 5ish years at least, sp which one should I get?

1 minute ago, RandomKidd said:

So I'm split between the RX 5700 and the RX 5600 XT. I bought a Ryzen 5 3600 and am planning to game kn 1080/60 for now, along other stuff like photo and video editing. I won't upgrade it for the next 5ish years at least, sp which one should I get?

How about waiting for the actual reviews of the 5600XT? They are arriving.

M.S.C.E. (M.Sc. Computer Engineering), Senior IT advisor in a hospital, 30 years of gaming, 20 years of computer enthusiasm, Geek, Trekkie, anime fan

• Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - EK AIO 360 D-RGB - Arctic Cooling MX-4 - Asus Prime X570-P - 4x8GB DDR4 3200 HyperX Fury CL16 - Sapphire AMD Radeon 6950XT Nitro+ - 1TB Kingston Fury Renegade - 2TB Kingston Fury Renegade - 512GB ADATA SU800 - 960GB Kingston A400 - Seasonic PX-850 850W  - custom black ATX and EPS cables - Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout - Windows 11 x64 23H2 - 3 Arctic Cooling P14 PWM PST - 5 Arctic Cooling P12 PWM PST
  • Peripherals: LG 32GK650F - Philips 226VL - Logitech G Pro X Superlight with Tiger Ice - HyperX Alloy Origins Core (TKL) - EndGame Gear MPC890 - Genius HF 1250B - Akliam PD4 - Sennheiser HD 560s - Simgot EM6L - Truthear Zero - QKZ x HBB - 7Hz Salnotes Zero - Logitech C270 - Behringer PS400 - BM700  - Colormunki Smile - Speedlink Torid - Jysk Stenderup - LG 24x External DVD writer - Konig smart card reader
  • Laptop: Acer E5–575G-386R 15.6" 1080p (i3 6100U + 12GB DDR4 (4GB+8GB) + GeForce 940MX + 256GB nVME) Win 10 Pro x64 22H2 - Logitech G305 + AAA Lithium battery
  • Networking: Asus TUF Gaming AX6000 - Arcadyan ISP router - 35/7 Mbps vDSL
  • TV and gadgets: TCL 50EP680 50" 4K LED + Sharp HT-SB100 75W RMS soundbar - Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 10.1" - OnePlus 9 256GB - Olymous Cameda C-160 - GameBoy Color 
  • Streaming/Server/Storage PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - LC-Power LC-CC-120 - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max - 2x4GB ADATA 2666 DDR4 - 120GB Kingston V300 - Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB - Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB - 2x WD Green 2TB - Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon R9 380X - 550W EVGA G3 SuperNova - Chieftec Giga DF-01B - Logitech G710+ - Roccat Kone Pure Military Desert strike - Logitech S-220

22 hours ago, NoGanksEric said:

Of you want it to last for 5 years get the 5700xt. 

Too expensive, my RX 480 lasted for that long and could probably go for another few years...

3 hours ago, RandomKidd said:

Too expensive, my RX 480 lasted for that long and could probably go for another few years...  

I have an rx580 and it doesn't do 1080p 60fps on ultra. I struggle to hit 40 in the division 2 or rdr2 when I drank up the settings 

33 minutes ago, NoGanksEric said:

I have an rx580 and it doesn't do 1080p 60fps on ultra. I struggle to hit 40 in the division 2 or rdr2 when I drank up the settings 

I think it's reasonable that for a 4 year old card to have to sacrifice some settings to get good framerates. I do it on my Ryzen system that aslo has an RX 580 and I'm satisfied with it.

I believe when people say "5 years" they include this concession

OP: the 5600 XT reviews are out and with it's new factory overclocked BIOS, it's basically already tapped out, despite chasing within a few % of the 5700. The 5700 on the other hand has some more headroom and also has more memory bandwidth and RAM, so it will probably overclock better and last longer.

I personally would wait for a $299 sale on a 5700 (seems to happen often enough) and get that over the 5600xt.

Or save up another $70 and get a lower end 5700XT.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

20 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

I think it's reasonable that for a 4 year old card to have to sacrifice some settings to get good framerates. I do it on my Ryzen system that aslo has an RX 580 and I'm satisfied with it.

I believe when people say "5 years" they include this concession

OP: the 5600 XT reviews are out and with it's new factory overclocked BIOS, it's basically already tapped out, despite chasing within a few % of the 5700. The 5700 on the other hand has some more headroom and also has more memory bandwidth and RAM, so it will probably overclock better and last longer.

I personally would wait for a $299 sale on a 5700 (seems to happen often enough) and get that over the 5600xt.

Or save up another $70 and get a lower end 5700XT.

Thanks, I found a XFX 5700 for around 360€ and I'm probably gonna get it...

Btw, I was thinking, seeing how I have everything apart from the GPU and the PSU, to hook up my old ones (RX 480 and thermaltake litepower 650w (shitty, I know, but it'll only be in for a week max)), and then when the new GPU comes to just ddu the old drivers and istall new ones.

I'd say buy as much graphics card as you can afford.

5700 over the 5600XT. If you can afford it, 5700XT

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

5700 simply because it is a little bit more powerful, but mainly because of the extra 2 GB VRAM. If you intend to use the card for a long period of time, it is likely you will run in problems with insufficient VRAM with having only 6 GB available. 8 GB in this case is more "futureproof" even if this forum hates that term.

Generally speaking I always say go for the best GPU you can reasonably afford.  Overall the GPU seems to always have the most impact on how long you can wait before upgrading especially since even a 5-10 fps difference at your personal minimum acceptable graphics performance can actually mean the difference between everything being great and horrible game play experience.