Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Markus L.

Looking for Media Tablet recommendations

Posted · Original PosterOP

So... suppose I have a huge library of perfectly legal movies that I want to store and watch on the go - what's your recommendation for reasonably affordable (ideally sub 300$, up to 400 would still be acceptable) tablets that would be suited for this job?

Requirements include:

- High storage capacity (or extendability, the tablet + SD or Micro-SD would have to hold at least 500 GB, ideally up to 1 TB)

- A decent screen (10 inches optimum, though anything between 8 and 13 would be tolerable. Nice colors, deep blacks. Resolution over 1080p isn't necessary because movies that definitely weren't acquired through shady means rarely come above 1080p anyways)

- A Headphone Jack

- an OS that supports easy file transfer from my PC via USB (basically anything that isn't iOS)

I don't really care when it comes to doing anything else besides browsing and media consumption - I have my PC for that. The screen is what counts, it's just that I've never had a tablet and all my phones have pretty cheap screens, so I have a hard time judging the specs for better screens on mobile devices.

Thanks in advance for any tips, have yourself a nice day.

Any 10 inch tablet that’s under $300 is pretty bad at media consumption. The base iPad barely has space but you can connect a usb drive to it to transfer files, which makes it a prime candidate for media consumption.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Samsung Tab S5e.
Amoled Display + very very good stereo speakers = Win for Media consumption.

No Headphone Jack tho.. But you can just use a Dongle.

Cheaper alternative: Samsung Tab A 10.5 - should be also with Stereo Speakers. But only IPS Panel.

I would like to recommend the iPad, because iPadOS > Android for Tablets.
But you will have just an IPS Screen. A good one, but still not Oled.
Also, no Stereo Speakers.
And 4:3 aspect ratio.

The Tab A 2019 10" is basically your only choice with that budget and headphone jack requirement.

Or look for a used Tab S4 if you insist on an old screen

Correction: actually the Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 Plus is also an option. It has a more powerful chipset and more RAM. The downside is that it runs MIUI.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.