Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blade404

The end of public anonymity

I guess I'm alone in thinking that privacy should be ensured regardless of where you are or what you're doing. The only person profiting off of someone's information is the person in question. Do think otherwise places us in a phase of interaction akin to NEET or shut-in culture. Just because I'm in public does not mean that I have volunteered my data to every in view of me. Same on the internet, same on roads, same if someone else took a picture that I was in. Businesses must get release forms made for anyone whose photo is published to the web, same should apply for Facebook, Twitter, and the local mall. Any profits made from that data should go to the signer, not the business. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

59 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I guess I'm alone in thinking that privacy should be ensured regardless of where you are or what you're doing.

You're not alone in thinking that,   the problem with this type of thing is it goes past the general expectations and laws on privacy in public places.    In my mind it moves into the realm of stalking.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You're not alone in thinking that,   the problem with this type of thing is it goes past the general expectations and laws on privacy in public places.    In my mind it moves into the realm of stalking.

That is why we need to start getting laws in place instead of settling on "well, you agreed to the EULA". 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

21 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

That is why we need to start getting laws in place instead of settling on "well, you agreed to the EULA". 

Laws are such complicated things, and the number of people in the legal system with sway is concerning for me.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

26 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

So you trust the ones who probably break your privacy more,  with the job of  creating laws to protect your privacy? https://nypost.com/2018/06/26/nsa-using-att-data-center-in-hells-kitchen-for-spy-program/. Yeah thats really going to show those companies. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

So you trust the ones who probably break your privacy more,  with the job of  creating laws to protect your privacy? https://nypost.com/2018/06/26/nsa-using-att-data-center-in-hells-kitchen-for-spy-program/. Yeah thats really going to show those companies. 

You think I'm not against the Patriot Act, NSA, and other gov't agencies? A bunch of sheep decided for everyone else that privacy is less important than security when those arguments were based on lies. Here, the lie is that you, the user, are benefiting from this profiling. You aren't. You're the product, but you're also the worker. I'm not doing whataboutisms on this one. The whole privacy thing has to be upheld in totality. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

You think I'm not against the Patriot Act, NSA, and other gov't agencies? A bunch of sheep decided for everyone else that privacy is less important than security when those arguments were based on lies. Here, the lie is that you, the user, are benefiting from this profiling. You aren't. You're the product, but you're also the worker. I'm not doing whataboutisms on this one. The whole privacy thing has to be upheld in totality. 

But your asking the Government. Mind you the ones that have been proven to be spying on you to make laws that protect privacy? Techincally the law exists its called the 4th admendment, but its not like any one cares. The NSA and CIA will still continue to spy on us. Congress cant do shit about it because they are as or more corupt than these agencies. The Supream court wont do anything eaither because National Security matters are left to the FISA courts who rubber stamp everything. 

So companies are using our data for advertising. The CIA was testing drugs on people in the 60's to see how they would work for interrogations. I consider that a bit more worring than Facebook using my data for advertising puproses. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra So you expect that same government to protect your privacy? Why would they do that? Its easy for them to just harvest the data from Facebook, they are not going to tie their hands that easily. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

But your asking the Government. Mind you the ones that have been proven to be spying on you to make laws that protect privacy? Techincally the law exists its called the 4th admendment, but its not like any one cares. The NSA and CIA will still continue to spy on us. Congress cant do shit about it because they are as or more corupt than these agencies. The Supream court wont do anything eaither because National Security matters are left to the FISA courts who rubber stamp everything. 

So companies are using our data for advertising. The CIA was testing drugs on people in the 60's to see how they would work for interrogations. I consider that a bit more worring than Facebook using my data for advertising puproses. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra So you expect that same government to protect your privacy? Why would they do that? Its easy for them to just harvest the data from Facebook, they are not going to tie their hands that easily. 

We can reform our government in whichever way we please with enough push and support. I would even go after Facebook with regulation of that data as I have said. Any money raised from adverts or profile sharing should be sent to the person, not the company selling the data, or the person should be able to decline any data to be shared. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

We can reform our government in whichever way we please with enough push and support

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Reform....... Yeah right. Next your going to say Democrats and Republicans are going to sit next to the camp fire holding hands and sing songs. Our nation is the most divided it probably has been since the Civil war and I dont see that changing any time soon. Because NO ONE can agree on anything. 

7 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Any money raised from adverts or profile sharing should be sent to the person, not the company selling the data, or the person should be able to decline any data to be shared. 

How is Facebook to make money? They are not a non profit. Eaither they sell your data, OR you can pay to use Facebook. Which one would you rather do?

Just now, Donut417 said:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Reform....... Yeah right. Next your going to say Democrats and Republicans are going to sit next to the camp fire holding hands and sing songs. Our nation is the most divided it probably has been since the Civil war and I dont see that changing any time soon. Because NO ONE can agree on anything. 

They get along just fine when it comes to many issues so long as the donors wish it. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

How is Facebook to make money? They are not a non profit. Eaither they sell your data, OR you can pay to use Facebook. Which one would you rather do?

I don't use Facebook... and I STILL get served Facebook ads. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

They get along just fine when it comes to many issues so long as the donors wish it. 

Ummm have you not seen the SHIT SHOW in our nations captial? They dont get along fine. If they got along fine all the issue we have in this country would have been solved. Like our crumbling roads, bridges, dams, etc. Our educational system is in the shitter. They are trying to screw people who have repayment plans for Federal Student loans, they are not solving the issues of health care costs. Do I need to go on? Neither side will comprmise their position so nothing gets done. 

12 hours ago, SocksAndSandals-Kirst said:

it's so much fun to read this thread and realize the high percentage of you who dind't read the full article.

They built a facial recognition from facebook photos, what more is there to understand.

Facebook tracks you. People who you don't know, track you by tagging you. Amazon Ring camera/doorbells track you. Google, Alexa, Siri, track you. Your cell phone tracks you. Your car tracks you. Your transit use tracks you. Your payment cards track you. 

When people complain that they can't pay in cash, good grief get over it. Paying by payment cards is the least of your problems if you're trying to avoid being tracked. If you need to go buy prophylactic's and don't want big data to know you're horny, then you're not fooling anyone when you go withdraw $20 from the ATM in the same store you pay in cash in. That store has already seen you on camera, that ATM has seen you, the employee at the till/self-checkout camera has seen you.

What changed since the 80's is video recording is everywhere. What changed in the 2010's is "cloud" security/storage, which means that AI facial recognition has plenty of data to work with. Amazon for all we know could be doing exactly the same thing as Facebook with Ring.

On 2/5/2020 at 2:53 AM, Leviathan Co-Op said:

There are multiple sides to this. The United States government could use this database to identify wanted individuals and prevent terror attacks, which is good. On the other hand, they could use facial recognition to spy more closely than they already do on US citizens. Clearview, if they have an internal ethics board, could use this database to assist law enforcement and provide humanitarian aid by being able to identify victims more quickly. On the other side, they could easily sell your face for advertising and who knows how many other programs, which would violate your privacy rights. There are good and bad consequences to a system like this. In the end, it will be the ordinary citizen who wins or loses.

Hmm. Clearview was used in Canada.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/ottawa-police-piloted-controversial-facial-recognition-software-last-year

It has also been used by multiple retail outlets.  Both as part of loss prevention and to categorize new customers vs repeat customers for marketing numbers.

On 2/5/2020 at 8:14 PM, Kisai said:

What changed since the 80's is video recording is everywhere. What changed in the 2010's is "cloud" security/storage, which means that AI facial recognition has plenty of data to work with. Amazon for all we know could be doing exactly the same thing as Facebook with Ring.

In the 80's they used to employ people to watch the video streams for certain people and behaviors, now they have AI for it.  There is a BBC show called railwatch (back in 80's I think it was).  In one of those episodes they spoke about camera all over the underground network and how they could track anyone from the second they got on the service to where and when they left.

On 1/20/2020 at 5:40 PM, Blade404 said:

You take a picture of a person, upload it and get to see public photos of that person, along with links to where those photos appeared.

I may have to wear a burka when I leave the mansion