• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blade404

The end of public anonymity

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

This has to be one of the scariest technology reads in a while.. 😯

The Secretive Company That Might End Privacy as We Know It - nytimes

Clearview AI, devised a groundbreaking facial recognition app. You take a picture of a person, upload it and get to see public photos of that person, along with links to where those photos appeared. The system — whose backbone is a database of more than three billion images that Clearview claims to have scraped from Facebook, YouTube, Venmo and millions of other websites — goes far beyond anything ever constructed by the United States government or Silicon Valley giants.

The potential for mis-use here is too huge for me to even begin to contemplate.. its the stuff that should be left as a Hollywood movie plot, not in the hands of a Startup..

Edited by LogicalDrm
Added quote box
15 minutes ago, Blade404 said:

its the stuff that should be left as a Hollywood movie plot, not in the hands of a Startup..

Hollywood now has access to millions of actors. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

So when you lock eyes with that person at the mall or on the train, and you just have one of those "I've never seen you before in my life, but let's get married" moments, you can just sneak a pic of them and find out who they are, where they live, and what they like. Then you can set up some romantic date, and either message them or just drive to their house, pick them up and swoon them off their feet. Next thing ya know, you're signing your 3rd child support check for the month with the cockroaches have a luau in your bathtub.

What will the people that always comment "china/russia bad" on posts about this tech have to say about this?

pick one

• They do it to prevent terror attacks
  • It's for national security
  • The government can prevent (pick any crime) by detecting it before it's commited
  • If you have nothing to hide then why worry?
  • It's ok if it's public

I tend to reply with memes because I lack social skills and don't know how to express myself correctly.

47 minutes ago, Caroline said:

What will the people that always comment "china/russia bad" on posts about this tech have to say about this?

pick one

• The government can prevent (pick any crime) by detecting it before it's commited
  • It's ok if it's public

How about

• This is bad, regardless of who is doing it

LTT 2019 Folding Month Rank: 49    Score: 60,484,697

Current LTT F@H Rank: 33    Score: 384,430,073   Stats

My main Rig (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (Kernel 5.3.13 VFIO) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000MHz (8GB for host, 8GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA GTX 1060 SC Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black Windowed

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, urBackup, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 24GB Hyperx Fury Black @ 2900MHz 16-16-16-28

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo 250GB

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's virtdisk is on the SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, urBackup, Gitlab, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Inventory: CPU: Delidded i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz 1.46v  Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A

56 minutes ago, Caroline said:

pick one

• It's ok if it's public
  • it's all for competition in the free market

Fixed that for you.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

So they took the evil half of the TV show Person of Interest and copied it by the book. 

All they need is to feed the ai their own governments data (if they aren't already) and boom, we have an ai with unrestricted and unknown power over the government. What could possibly go wrong? 

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.

31 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

How about

• This is bad, regardless of who is doing it

They'd never say that

22 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Fixed that for you.

Ah of course, the "free market" advocates, I should've known.

I tend to reply with memes because I lack social skills and don't know how to express myself correctly.

8 minutes ago, Caroline said:

They'd never say that

This is bad, regardless of who’s doing it. 

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

Evey time I look at the news I feel like i'm being sucked into a super shitty Black Mirror episode.

iTs OkAy BeCaUsE i HaVe NoThInG tO hIdE

Specs

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700

MOBO: MSI B350M Gaming Pro

RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 3200

STORAGE: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD - WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC

PSU: Corsair TXM Gold 550W 80+

Audio

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

Amp: Schiit Magni 3

DAC: Schiit Modi 3
Microphone: AT 2035

Mixer: Focusrite Scarlett Solo

Peripherals

Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless

Keyboard: Ducky One Two TKL RGB Cherry MX Red Switches

VR Headset: Valve Index

where did people think all this technology was going?  Seriously if you thought this would never happen or will never happen then you are not looking very hard at humanity.

Technology will either bury us or or make our society a utopian shangri-la.  Either way we will lose all subterfuge on the way. 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

39 minutes ago, DKL said:

So they took the evil half of the TV show Person of Interest and copied it by the book. 

All they need is to feed the ai their own governments data (if they aren't already) and boom, we have an ai with unrestricted and unknown power over the government. What could possibly go wrong? 

They might.  Some of the DMVs have been selling data.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/ca-dmv-makes-50m-selling-personal-data-report-says/2202432/

Oof looks like everyone who cares about privacy is going to have to wear a mask in public from now on

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

bold of them to assume there are pictures of me on the internet

I've never shared any of the pictures I've taken with the hidden camera I installed in your shower, I promise!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, Worstcaster said:

They also are already uploading their own photos from crimescenes etc. to compare. Thus feeding it increasingly greater data overtime regardless 

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.

I wonder how this goes with privacy in Australia?   What with copyright being as it is I see a large grey area.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

2 hours ago, Blade404 said:

Clearview AI, devised a groundbreaking facial recognition app. You take a picture of a person, upload it and get to see public photos of that person, along with links to where those photos appeared. The system — whose backbone is a database of more than three billion images that Clearview claims to have scraped from Facebook, YouTube, Venmo and millions of other websites — goes far beyond anything ever constructed by the United States government or Silicon Valley giants.

The potential for mis-use here is too huge for me to even begin to contemplate.. its the stuff that should be left as a Hollywood movie plot, not in the hands of a Startup..

Facial recognition has it's uses, but this is one of the most evilest things humans have gone into next to landmines (which indiscriminately kills.)

Something can be considered evil if it indiscriminately makes no distinction between good and evil uses. This is why AI and Social media end up being used for evil, quite a bit. But by themselves, a human has to direct it to be evil.

Facial recognition allows law enforcement (in theory good) and marketers (very evil) access to peoples identities like never before. Not only that, it allows one to go on a fishing expedition. So say you've done nothing wrong, then one day you're in the right place at the wrong time. The cops show up at your door, accusing you of being a co-conspirator in some crime that you weren't even aware was happening. All because the AI driving the facial recognition can't tell the difference between perpetrator and witness.

Like, I personally think facial recognition can be used for good, but it needs to be operated at a municipal level at most and law enforcement/first responders should only be able to use it to identify victims and perpetrators, not witnesses. If a witness wants to come forward, that should be their prerogative. If you operate it at a state/provincial/federal level, or an international level (eg interpol) suddenly those weed possessions may as well be a red notice. If Law Enforcement decides someone is a wanted terrorist and wants global cooperation, that needs to be opt-in by the municipalities who have the technology. LEO's really need to a good reason to "fish" for a facial recognition hit (eg active shooter event) and can't just dragnet looking for people committing crimes as though they were operating a pre-crime operation. 

Which brings up the other half of the argument. How do you stay off the radar if you don't want to be tracked?

1. Never go outside

2. Wear heavy clothing like you're going skiing.

3. Hide your hair and ears with hats

4. Apply makeup and removable piercings when you do have to show your face.

Tangent to that. Don't get a passport, don't get a drivers license, and don't take selfies.

And so forth. It also makes people who do the above even more suspicious. 

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

bold of them to assume there are pictures of me on the internet

I thought of that too until I found out some moron took a picture of me in high school (2 yrs ago) and posted it to facebook

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

pick one

• It's ok if it's public

As one of those people:

Tech like this, along with many other reasons, is precisely why I say "China/Russia bad." If it starts being used on any scale in the United States, or any country for that matter, I will say "China/Russia/United States/etc. bad"

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        
58 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Which brings up the other half of the argument. How do you stay off the radar if you don't want to be tracked?

1. Never go outside

2. Wear heavy clothing like you're going skiing.

3. Hide your hair and ears with hats

4. Apply makeup and removable piercings when you do have to show your face.

Tangent to that. Don't get a passport, don't get a drivers license, and don't take selfies.

And so forth. It also makes people who do the above even more suspicious. 

Even if you do that, there's cameras where you bought that hat/clothing/makeup etc.
They can track the clothing combination. Because AI.

You all should know how this goes by now....

New start up makes scary new tech, the public rages, the corporations don't care. They demo the new tech, corporations get interested then Alphabet buys them for $1B despite them not even having a fully working product and incorporates the tech into Deepmind. We never hear about it again. The End.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B running OMV Arrakis and an 8TB Seagate USB 3.0 external HDD

4 hours ago, Blade404 said:

Samaritan wants to know your location. (Unless Root gets to you first - then you best wish you were dead.)

Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Bell - Unlimited Calling & Texting + 10GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | HP Touchpad | ASUS ME302C
Camera: Canon SX280 + Rebel T1i (500D) | Sony HDR-AS50R | Panasonic DMC-TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)