What is the most important piece of hardware or a setup for Music Production

I currently have a decent 1080p monitor, GTX 1050, Ok processor, 8 GB Ram, and 1 TB HDD. I have plenty of music production gear and audio equipment, so my question more geared towards the Pc side of things (Or peripheral suggestions if you have any)

I’m not doing any music production but I’d say cpu and memory on the component side of things and a good audio interface on the peripherals, one that suits your needs. Focusrite is a good brand I believe. 

7 hours ago, HugsAreGoodForTheSoul said:

I currently have a decent 1080p monitor, GTX 1050, Ok processor, 8 GB Ram, and 1 TB HDD. I have plenty of music production gear and audio equipment, so my question more geared towards the Pc side of things (Or peripheral suggestions if you have any)

Salutations!

@Ouja is right about the audio interface.

How do you envision the PC's role in your current "workflow" in producing music? This would be highly informative in ball-parking an interface. Hi-Z inputs? Do you require midi? Are you going to be mixing analogue and sending tracks to the PC or would you like to mix digitally on the PC instead?

We'll assume you're running Windows. Depending on what you are doing, 8GB's of ram may be a bit low. I'd try for at least 16GB. The CPU may or may not be a factor depending again on what you plan to have the PC's role to be. If mixing and using soft effects (VSTs etc), 4 cores/8 threads can take you fairly far for a basic set-up..Again the ram though. You'll be bumping your head a fair bit in plenty of situations. But if you are recording analogue to digital and working with samples, you should still be able to yield some decent results. Just nothing too complex. If using soft synths in a DAW, bounce them to a track and work with them in sample form to reduce system overhead when mixing.

1TB of space that is shared with the OS and any other programs you may have installed can work for a short while but it will fill up fairly fast. But for starting out, it isn't a show stopper right away though.

Apart from the audio interface and a few upgrades, some decent monitors and cans of which you might already have is all you need to get your feet wet.

We don't know what your CPU is but assuming it's a 4th gen or better Intel, you can do without any upgrades at all and just get an interface so you can simply record your tracks and do some basic mixing and mastering. Once you get a feel for it, you may want to expand and then finally decide to up the game a little from there.

There's a whole world of stuff out there and it can be too easy for us to overwhelm the replies with stuff that you may not even need because you already have gear that does it along with us not really knowing more than what you've given us. So keeping it simple for now I think is proper.

Try to fill us in on your possible use cases though.

Cheers!

Is this setup going to make you money or is it for personal entertainment only?

If it’s going to make you money you may want to invest so there are no bottlenecks to your workflows. I would go a little OTT now so my workdays finish a little earlier or I can do more each day and make a bit more money! It should then pay for itself.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz