We Water Cooled an SSD!!

nicklmg

I legit thought about doing this the other day to my MP600

Rig 1                                                              Rig 2

DeepCool Macube 550                                  ThermalTake View 31 TG RGB

DeepCool Castle 360mm AIO RGB               FractalDesign Celsius S36 360mm AIO

R9-3900x oc'ed to 4.3ghz all core                  i7-970 oc'ed to 4.4ghz

ASUS X570 TUF                                            ASUS Sabertooth TUF X58

32GB G.Skill Tridentz RGB                            12gb Corsair

Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC                      ASUS ROG STRIX RX480

Corsair RM850X                                            Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750W RGB

Corsair MP600 NVME                                    Samsung 850 EVO

Adata SX8200 PRO NVME                            Intel 320

Seagate Barracuda                                        Seagate Barracuda x 3

Corsair K70 LUX w/MX Blue                          Western Digital Black x 1
Logitech G903 Lightspeed                             Corsair K70 LUX w/MX Blue 

MSI Optix 34" Ultrawide oc'ed to 120hz         Razer Mamba

Benq 28" oc'ed to 85hz

That tiny waterblock many have used to watercool Raspberry Pi boards as well.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

2 hours ago, nicklmg said:

~~snip~~

Cool , but one other issue is that that block and those small tubes would restrict the crap out of a normal custom loop, so you effectively have to have an entire dedicated loop just for the SSD(S) if u did want to do this.

Guess it gives some people a somewhat legit reason to run a triple loop system :P

CPU + VRM loop

GPU loop

SSD loop

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Hey guys,
Is Anthony’s looping script too confidential to share? I love me a good script!

I posted this in the form and the YouTube video too hopefully get noticed.

Thanks!

That motherboard is sagging like CRAZY. Get a larger testbench for these massive boards or atleast try to prop it up smh

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Similar to when manufacturers wanted to water cool RAM many years ago. EK still does it but the results are negligible.

A heatsink and some focused airflow will do a better job for small chips like these. Given the low profile design of m.2, space constraints inside the ATX spec and that tubing diameter it will be a challenge to incorporate anything like this even in an existing open loop.

That said, a different design with standard G1/4 fittings on a PCI board with m.2 drives in pairs or x4 would be far more doable, and some out there would gladly sacrifice a double width PCIe space for 8TB of water cooled m.2 goodness. Except that you can already get that with many existing single slot PCIe SSD options - attaching a slim fan to the heatsink can work surprisingly well, or remove the heatsink and attach an old school chipset water block with a custom mounting plate.

I would even make it an experiment to mount some of those tiny 20mm fans to the m.2 heatsink and see if that makes a tangible difference.

well you no there all ready an water block for an ssd...but anyway ltt got to llt it for views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQmI5A27Iv8

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I'd just mount a silent 40mm fan on the factory Corsair's cooler. Usually, you can just screw them right in between the fins so you don't even have to use zip ties or drill threaded holes... Should do the trick.

Or to go the extra length, cut/sand off portion of stock heatsink at an angle and mount the fan on that newly angled part so you don't gain height with fan and still make it push air at an angle to the side through the fins, accelerating air circulation.

Adding cooling to an SSD has its pros and cons.

One thing to take in note is that the controller of an SSD is not where data is stored, and yes the controller can get warm, especially modern PCI v.4 ones.

Though, at 60 degrees C, most silicone based chips have a mean time between failures of over a decade... But since silicone based transistors can operate upwards towards 150 degrees C before heat related failure and that most low density chip designs usually have no problem keeping their transistors bellow that temperature, then thermal throttling is rather rare to start with. (It is though still a useful protection feature that most manufacturers include regardless, and typical thermal limits are lower than 150C, since the measurement point can be rather far away from the highest temperature area. (Sometimes there simply isn't room for the thermal sensor in the higher heat area.))

Though, the flash chip on the other hand is a very different story.

Since flash based memory works by temporarily breaking down the insulation surrounding a floating gate to push charge into it, then we preferably want as little resistance in that insulation as possible. (Ie, have it as conducting as possible) And the fact that most insulators have higher leakage (ie lower resistance) at higher temperatures allows the memory cell to be written to with less energy imparted in the insulation, thereby degrading the insulation less and extending the lifetime of the drive in the process.

Ie, cooling a Flash memory is not really a good thing when it comes to the drives endurance.

Flash chips also don't usually suffer thermal throttling since they don't have much fancy decoding and protocol management to deal with, meaning that they are not consuming a lot of power. So adding cooling to the flash chips can even to start with be rather unneeded. Thermal conduction is usually sufficient to keep them from overheating and die due to thermal related failures. Though, some flash manufacturers are working on including heaters in the chips themselves, since it can extend the write endurance of Flash cells by as much as 5 orders of magnitude.

Erasure times can also be improved when the flash is kept at a higher temperature, since erasing also moves charge through the insulation around the floating gate.

Though, if you are going to toss a thumb drive into a time capsule, then cooling it down to sub ambient might be a good thing, since Falsh media tends to forget their content within a decade if left at room temperature. (Some industrial Flash cells made for long term data retention can remember their content for over 30 years at 80C, but I'll let you guess if such memory is "cheap"... (Every KB costs about a few cents. Ie thousands of dollars per GB.) ) The reason for it forgetting is due to the aforementioned insulation around the floating gate, the gate stores a small amount of electrical charge on it (literally a handful of electrons/or-lack-there-of) representing a certain bit state. (MLC and QLC flash stores multiple bits by simply varying the amount of charge and making things a bit more analogue.) But since the insulation around this gate isn't a perfect insulator, it will slowly let this charge leak through the insulation, effectively corrupting/erasing the data over time. And this leakage is for the vast majority of insulators going to be smaller at lower temperatures.

This is though a fair bit of oversimplification, and in actuality things are "a bit" more complicated.

TL:DR
You want to heat the Flash when writing to it (also erasing, since that is writing as well), and cool it when just keeping the data around.

The flash controller handling the PCIe interface isn't a stupid thing to cool, but the Flash chips can on the other hand actually benefit from less cooling.

On 1/20/2020 at 4:06 PM, SolarNova said:

Cool , but one other issue is that that block and those small tubes would restrict the crap out of a normal custom loop, so you effectively have to have an entire dedicated loop just for the SSD(S) if u did want to do this.

That's only the case if you try to put it in series with everything else. Which, no, you shouldn't do. Instead you put it in parallel with the loop's flow. Such as with the fitting that @VegetableStu shows in his reply, the AlpahCool MCX 5-way divider.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

I was hoping they would compare it against the original passive cooler when it gets a decent airflow, like it might in your standard system. Nothing against the worst case scenario, but with that as the only representation, the information value of the video is somewhat diminished.