Incorrect temperature measurements

Hi,

I was recently upgrading my PC and I realized that when it was built the CPU cooler was never plugged in and for the past 8 months or so my CPU has been running without a cooler.

My CPU is an Intel core i7 7700k

And my CPU cooler is a Corsair H100i v2

I have now plugged in the CPU cooler and it functions perfectly but when I check the temperature it is constantly between 96 and 100, even after 8 hours of it being turned off still around 100.

The problem I have with this is that I don't believe the temperature measurement is correct but my cooler does and therefore leaves the fans at 100% all the time.

Is it possible that the temperature measuring instrument for my CPU was broken during the time when the CPU was running without a cooler (probably way too hot all the time) or is my CPU genuinely at 100 degrees all the time.

BTW all temperatures are in Celsius.

4 minutes ago, Danielgentile said:

The H100i v2 is powered by a fan header, and the two fans are plugged into the pump block that are also powered by the aforementioned header. So the two fans on the cooler would have not been spinning at all for 8 months, is this correct?

If the pump block area was heated by a 7700K without active flow for 8 months, that would have been plenty heat and time for the pump to be damaged. Normally these pump should be operated with a fluid temp of below 60 degrees, so without flow for 8 months, perhaps the pump could have been damaged, or the local coolant clogged to hell.

I would personally benefit from a screenshot of HWinfo 64 as well as iCue (or corsairlink, whatever you use) just to see what's going on.

The fans and anything else related to the cpu cooler was not running. I took some screenshots of iCUE, link, and HWinfo

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

So you didnt plug the usb cable of the h100i v2? It would be useful to get some rpm readings. My gut feeling is that the temp reading is correct though.

Do you have adequate contact between the coldplate and cpu? Some pictures of thermal paste spread on both surfaces might be useful

25 minutes ago, Danielgentile said:

The fans and anything else related to the cpu cooler was not running. I took some screenshots of iCUE, link, and HWinfo

I'll check the amount of thermal paste. The fan's rpm is constant (maximum) since it thinks the cpu is at 100 degrees. And ye I didn't plug the usb cable of the H100i v2. Let's say there is enough thermal paste and contact between cpu and cooler, will I have to buy a new cooler? Or, even worse, is the temperature measuring thing on the motherboard?

2 minutes ago, Danielgentile said:

I'll check the amount of thermal paste. The fan's rpm is constant (maximum) since it thinks the cpu is at 100 degrees. And ye I didn't plug the usb cable of the H100i v2. Let's say there is enough thermal paste and contact between cpu and cooler, will I have to buy a new cooler? Or, even worse, is the temperature measuring thing on the motherboard?

The fans should react to fluid temperature by default assuming you have plugged the fans into the correct fan headers coming off the pump block. You will need to work out of the AIO pump is dead or not before buying a new cooler. 

9 hours ago, Danielgentile said:

And how would one find out if it's dead or not?

plug in the usb cable, find out if icue detects anything rpm wise.

Also put your ear close to the pump block while the fans are off and see if you can hear fluid movement.

Also a photo of your system with detail on where you've plugged in the the things surrounding the AIO would be helpful too,.