Does anyone have any experience mixing RAM.

Go to solution Solved by PlayStation 2,

I've mixed a ton of random ass RAM before (my desktop has mixed RAM, as a matter of fact) and so long as they aren't wildly different sticks, they'll usually work together fine, especially if they're the same specs. Just make sure that if you're on Ryzen that you update your BIOS if applicable, because from my experiences, very old BIOSes, especially on first-gen boards, are a lot more iffy on RAM mixing than later BIOSes.

I wasn't paying attention and I just bought Corsair CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 for my system, and I already have CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18 installed in my system. As you can see I am upgrading to 32gb. These are the same speed, same latency, same brand, really they are the same everything except for one letter in the part number. Does anyone have any experience mixing 2 part numbers of the same branded same speed RAM? I guess it would be mixing only the brand of die on the RAM, ie Samsung with Micron. I can't see this being a huge deal at all, and I have mixed RAM, but that was years ago. I could be wrong. 

What do you guys think? Should this be okay?

Try it and see.

Worst case scenario you return the sticks.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

I've mixed a ton of random ass RAM before (my desktop has mixed RAM, as a matter of fact) and so long as they aren't wildly different sticks, they'll usually work together fine, especially if they're the same specs. Just make sure that if you're on Ryzen that you update your BIOS if applicable, because from my experiences, very old BIOSes, especially on first-gen boards, are a lot more iffy on RAM mixing than later BIOSes.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, Nocte said:

Try it and see.

Worst case scenario you return the sticks.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

1 hour ago, Rxkvn07 said:

Theres no problem running different ram , the ram adapt itself to the slowest one 

If that is the case, then it should be fine.

1 hour ago, handymanshandle said:

Yeah, this machine is a Ryzen 3800x on an x570. Thank you for your response! All of you guys made me feel a little better.

I mix my old 2400mhz and a new 3200mhz no problem, dual channel running fine in both pairs.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

12 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

I mix my old 2400mhz and a new 3200mhz no problem, dual channel running fine in both pairs.

Those are 2 different speeds too. If you look up this question online you will find people saying that RAM must be manufactured together and from the same batch. That seems a little extreme.

10 hours ago, Jamey021 said:

Those are 2 different speeds too. If you look up this question online you will find people saying that RAM must be manufactured together and from the same batch. That seems a little extreme.

Extreme? said by someone who never had experience. dual channel system is 20 years old.

Dual channel kit only been around in 5 years. And it's not as rigid as you think.

And dual channel only work in 2 slots. If you have 4 slots you can have 2 pairs that work independently.

Do some digging, read more articles.

Even if i use 2 module with different speed, the system will automatically adjust both speed and timing to the lowest.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

my dell prebuild i got used has 2 4 gig and 2 8 gig

Edit: your luck may vary but  2 are micron and 2 are hynix

Edited by PositiveRaisin2

18 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Extreme? said by someone who never had experience. dual channel system is 20 years old.

Dual channel kit only been around in 5 years. And it's not as rigid as you think.

And dual channel only work in 2 slots. If you have 4 slots you can have 2 pairs that work independently.

Do some digging, read more articles.

Even if i use 2 module with different speed, the system will automatically adjust both speed and timing to the lowest.

Huh? Do you understand what I was saying there? BTW, I own and operate a successful computer repair business here in Pittsburgh of 15 years. I do repairs down to the component level and sell PCs that I build, but I don't make it a habit of selling systems with different "part number" RAM sticks or different speed. I understand mixing RAM and speeds and so on. My question was mixing part numbers. Just part numbers. That's all. This is for my personal PC. I really do appreciate all of the responses. However, since I understand how RAM works and mixing speeds and such, I wanted to see if anyone had any trouble maintaining speeds and stability by mixing two pairs of the same speed RAM with different part numbers. 

I've been mixing ram speed and timings all the time, down to mixing different brand and speed as a dual channel back in the days when i can't afford to buy a "kit" (there's no one selling kits anyway). And it seems stable enough. Yes there are some cases when mixing different CHIP gone bad, but it seems and old problem, the industry has a standard now to avoid that happening.

I always recommend anyone having the same exact module to have dual channel running, but in the case having to find similar part is not available, having a different one with the same speed (even from another brand) is ok.

About part number, having the same part number might be impossible when the parts is not available in the market, you can however find the same chip-set / modules from another brand. Different brand sometimes shared the same modules from chip manufacturer (hynix, micron, elpida, samsung etc) and rebrand it to make it their own.

So, for the record, I received my RAM today, which said it is optimized for Intel, and installed it with absolutely no problems or issues what so ever. I even achieved tighter timings on both kits together than with just the original 16gb.  Now I am up and running with 32GB at 3600MHz.  One package says supp orts Intel and the other says Ryzen on it. The only difference is the speed grade. The Ryzen optimized RAM is rated at speed grade 2666 and the Intel RAM is rated at 2133. That's it. Thanks guys!

20200123_141932_resized.jpg

It will work just fine. Just don't try to OC with the ram. It will run at the slowest speed of the lowest memory kit. If they are the same memory, you should have no issues at stock speeds. 

Ryzen 5600 Be Quiet! PureBase500DX  CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB  Asus ROG Strix B450-F  1660 Super  Crucial DDR4 32GB 2x16 3800mhz  SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB NVMe  Seagate Barracuda 3TB  Mechanical Keyboard Red switches Logitech G502 mouse  EVGA Supernova 750w GA gold   32" Acer curved 1440p 144hz  MSI 32" Curved 1440p165hz  Aopen 32" 1440p 144hz

5 hours ago, Columbo said:

It will work just fine. Just don't try to OC with the ram. It will run at the slowest speed of the lowest memory kit. If they are the same memory, you should have no issues at stock speeds. 

That is a great profile pic Columbo