ROG Strix Scar II fans always running high

Hi there,

I purchased my asus ROG Strix Scar II a few months ago, sometime before october, however in the past few weeks, often when booting, the fans will rev up to between 4200-6000 RPM, even when my GPU temp is 38 degrees. The reason I believe this to be a software issue is that it doesn't always happen.

I'm utilising the program that comes with the laptop (ASUS Armoury Crate) which I have updated, re-installed cleanly etc etc many times but to no avail.

Sometimes, if I work the laptop hard enough I can and ramp up the temps a little, when I go back to idle the fans relax and end up at the RPM they normally are (2400 RPM approx).

The issue is that the loud fan noise is almost intolerable and using this in a public place is basically a no go at the moment.

When contacting ASUS support, they had me reset bios (which I did) and then wanted me to reset windows, yet I feel like this would not solve the issue, it must be something to do with the ASUS drivers or software as this is the only program (I know of) controlling fan speeds and regulating temps.

I really need to get this sorted so I can actually enjoy using my laptop again. (Also - uninstalling armoury crate does not appear to resolve the issue).

The only other way I have found that the fans relax is if I let the laptop idle overnight.

Could it be that I usually leave my laptop plugged in? (99% of the time).

Honestly I'm just stating everything I think could even remotely be causing a problem at this point, people on ROG forums have reported the same issues but seemingly have been ignored.

---Also---

Armoury Crate does have an update pending - GL504W HAL - however it fails to do the update every time.

Any advice/ideas would be great as I'm losing my mind.

Cheers, Moz

SPECS:
Intel I7-8750H

RTX 8GB 2070

GL504W Motherboard / device ID

16GB 1300hz approx RAM

Do you not have the key combination to switch power modes on that model?  Switching to the lowest mode should at least make it tolerable although there is clearly something odd going on.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Do you not have the key combination to switch power modes on that model?  Switching to the lowest mode should at least make it tolerable although there is clearly something odd going on.

Switching modes does not change fan speeds at all currently, I can increase them by going to Turbo / Manual, but they won't decrease below 4700 ish RPM

I have the ROG Strix and it has Silent, Balanced and Overboost by pressing the Fn + Fan (F5) button.  I don't know if all their models have these options though.

The different modes have different power targets, Silent limits the maximum fan speed dramatically.  Rather concerning if yours isn't changing at all.

I can say mine also spends a lot of time plugged in and its make zero difference.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7