Help me pick an electric scooter to buy.

Okjoek

I want an electric scooter of the standing variety. I don't make a lot of money and it's very expensive to own, upkeep and operate an automobile in US. I get around by walking, carpool, bus and sometimes lyft. An electric scooter would be ideal for most of the year for me. I've just never shopped for one before so IDK what to look for. Just something that won't break in the rain I guess? There is no budget, but for Christ sake don't let it be over 1 grand.

Just now, James Evens said:

Why not a electric skateboard? I guess they are legal in the us and easier to carry around in public transport.

I don't skateboeard lol. I'm kinda scared to learn too ngl.

honestly your use case sounds more like you need a proper bicycle, possibly even a cheap ebike.

much more versatile than a scooter and does something for your health as well.

2 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

honestly your use case sounds more like you need a proper bicycle, possibly even a cheap ebike.

much more versatile than a scooter and does something for your health as well.

Nah, I don't want a bike.

• 3 weeks later...

We bought a cheap one for my niece, it has the worst design for holding the brakes and the accelerator. It has a screw that press the main bar...just that... ? 

So, when riding the controls keep moving when you press them and sometimes they get loose, we take it to the store and every one of this "brand" were the same, no luck, instead of a refund they sais because it is used (are you kidding?) so they can't do that and will have to send it to technical support, customer protection laws sucks in my country. 

We write a complaint, take it back and drilled a hole to fix the dam thing, This was a chinese brand renamed to another and sold more expensive.

We thought about changing it to the system used by a mountain bike that goes around the handlebar and maybe we would have to do it soon.

So, if you are going to buy one only look from a known Brand, like . I attached an image of one like the one that we bought, you can see the screws there, they keep spining and don't hold anything with enough strenght.

scotter estupido.jpg

i just bought a gotrax v2 myself. Will see if it holds up, i only commute 2 miles each way and there is one massive hill (10 degrees), will let you know. But it is 260~ including taxes in amazon. 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

I bought a razor e300 simply because they are very cheap used on ebay because people don't know how to change the battery. After that I took it apart and added a 1000 watt controller and a bigger motor and 2 extra and bigger batteries to make it 48 volts. To make it more street safe I upgraded all the wiring and mounted a transformer to it to power underglow, headlights, cooling, etc. In total I only spent around $300 and can easily get 10 miles range and 30 mph and can easily climb the steepest hills, haven't tested farther. Good and cheap hobby project!

On 2/8/2020 at 9:18 PM, IAnthonyFX said:

i just bought a gotrax v2 myself. Will see if it holds up, i only commute 2 miles each way and there is one massive hill (10 degrees), will let you know. But it is 260~ including taxes in amazon. 

Total fail, the motor isn't strong enough got the incline and the disk brakes are poorly designed. I think I will end up going for a bike instead

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL