Is the Gearbox of a Lamborghini Aventador upgradable?

S.Hamed23

The Lamborghini Aventador has an old single clutch gearbox that affects the whole performance package.
My question: Is the gearbox upgradable to a dual-clutch gearbox that a Huracan already has?

DCT swaps are getting popular, people are retrofitting BMW F80 DCTs into E90s and even Miatas. I am sure it can be done with any transaxle DCT you can find, along with couple of hundred thousand dollars for parts and R&D. I highly doubt transmission in the aventador affects its performance, it definitely has an effect on its driveability.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 hours ago, Levent said:

DCT swaps are getting popular, people are retrofitting BMW F80 DCTs into E90s and even Miatas. I am sure it can be done with any transaxle DCT you can find, along with couple of hundred thousand dollars for parts and R&D. I highly doubt transmission in the aventador affects its performance, it definitely has an effect on its driveability.

It does in lap times bro
It takes a lot longer than Huracan
Every Aventador driver has a common complaint, gearbox.
It lags the whole package 

19 minutes ago, S.Hamed23 said:

It does in lap times bro

If thats the case, time for you to buy an Aventador then swap a DCT. Nobody buys an Aventador for track and lap time purposes (although Lamborghini makes limited editions for it, their buyers just dont buy them for track purpose). Also another FYI, Huracan weighs %10 less than Aventador, that will have bigger effect on lap times than shift times.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

42 minutes ago, S.Hamed23 said:

It does in lap times bro

I have the impression that you don't own either vehicle and possibly don't own any vehicles.

I don’t understand the attraction to super cars mayself.  I had a choice between a DCT automanual an automatic, and a SCT manual for my last car purchase.  I counted numbers of parts and weighed repair frequency and cost, and chose the manual

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t understand the attraction to super cars mayself.  I had a choice between a DCT automanual an automatic, and a SCT manual for my last car purchase.  I counted numbers of parts and weighed repair frequency and cost, and chose the manual

Me either...  if money was no object and I'd won the lottery or something... Sure, I'd have a few cars... but they'd be cars with style, cars that have an emotional response/connection for me.

So my really fast sport car... would be either a Porsche 911 or a Nissan GT-R... and as I used to run the MX6 Owners club until 2013... I'd find another MX6 to restore and perhaps do an engine swap, take out the FWD V6 and but in an AWD RB26... Kinda a more grown up version of Project Binky (if you don;t know that, look it up on youtube, those guys are funny and a little nuts and are putting a Celica GT4 running gear into a Mini).

For my every day running around car... a hybrid of some kind, or a full electric... Sensible, practical but with all the toys still... it's gonna be for shopping, errands and shorter journeys away.

For more practical purposes.. some kind of 4x4... if I've won the lottery... I'll be living in a more rural location with views across hills/mountains/water. So I'll need something with more grip for bad weather and dodgy roads, room for a couple of doggo's and loads of space for longer trips away. Nothing brash with bad reliability and I sure as hell won;t be buying anything for the 'badge'... so it would most likely be a Honda CRV, A Toyota or a Nissan (in case you've noticed, I do have a fondness for Japanese cars due to the excellent build quality of those actually built in Japan)

Then lastly... I might get myself something silly... I've always loved old Vdubs and used to have a Beetle turned into a Baja bug... But I've always really wanted a Type 3 Fastback and have had a design for one in my head for at least 30yrs. So I'd have it built for going to shows with, and perhaps drag strips runs as there's  a drag strip very close to me.  :)

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

Frankly, it just all depends on if someone figures out how to put a dual clutch into an Aventador. What might actually be a bit more plausible is a manual transmission swap out of a Murcielago, if anything, as it'd likely be a bit easier (and probably more fun in general) to do that kind of swap than attempting to swap the transmission used in a less related engine, like the V10 that the Huracan uses.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Never mind whether or not it's technically feasible; the question is whether any owner would need to bother doing it.

If you're the sort of person who can not only afford to drive an Aventador but also consider replacing the gearbox... you can likely afford to buy a Huracan.

10 hours ago, Erik Sieghart said:

If you don't know the answer to that question the answer is emphatically no: the care has a lot of power and precision behind it. I don't think it's your kind of "open up and modify in my garage" kind of car. You would have to custom design a transmission to be put in place in the car, not to mention the space constraints. While technically possible to design such a thing, is probably well beyond the scope of even a seasoned mechanic's and engineer's abilities.

Ive watched people put a 351 out of an old ford truck into a pinto in the backyard using a few car batteries to weld the frame and extend it. Youd be surprised at what normal people can do to cars. Let alone seasoned engineers.

4 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Ive watched people put a 351 out of an old ford truck into a pinto in the backyard using a few car batteries to weld the frame and extend it. Youd be surprised at what normal people can do to cars. Let alone seasoned engineers.

And then they don’t do the math to make sure the rest of the system can handle it and the truck engine obligingly turns the axle into a pretzel.  It’s astounding what can be done with pencil, paper, and an old 1960’s era milling machine though.  NASA got to the moon that way.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

And then they don’t do the math to make sure the rest of the system can handle it and the truck engine obligingly turns the axle into a pretzel.  It’s astounding what can be done with pencil, paper, and an old 1960’s era milling machine though.

Oh yeah. Ive seen plenty of people not take into consideration the rest of the car/truck. But those are usually the people that have paid to have the mod done and not done it themselves from my personal experience.

16 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Of course it is, anything can be put into anything given enough skill.

Should though.  Should is the better question.  It CAN be fitted with Jato units and take flight.  It would probably be a bad idea though.

owning a car with a dry dual clutch automatic, i do however know that i will NEVER own a car with that gearbox in the future..

a regular old style automatic like the BMW 8 speed, or a manual is going to be it for me. 

I actually could live with a CVT more than the DSG gearbox (the DSQ200 and 250)

16 minutes ago, RasmusDC said:

owning a car with a dry dual clutch automatic, i do however know that i will NEVER own a car with that gearbox in the future..

a regular old style automatic like the BMW 8 speed, or a manual is going to be it for me. 

I actually could live with a CVT more than the DSG gearbox (the DSQ200 and 250)

I had a cvt once.  Literally the worst car I ever owned.  There’s a reason they went away in the 50s, came back for like 2 years and vanished again.  The only problem with a dsg is they’re fantastically over complicated.  Extra size and parts for the second clutch, extra size and parts for the transmission itself.  Then there’s the electronics and it’s requisite sensors.

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I had a cvt once.  Literally the worst car I ever owned.  There’s a reason they went away in the 50s, came back for like 2 years and vanished again.  The only problem with a dsg is they’re fantastically over complicated.  Extra size and parts for the second clutch, extra size and parts for the transmission itself.  Then there’s the electronics and it’s requisite sensors.

There are literally dozens of current model cars with CVT's - they went away in the 50's because the tech just wasn't there yet. But since they've come back, they're still quite popular.

Most people don't like CVT's because they are "expecting" the shift to happen. So much so that many CVT's now have "fake" shift points.

There are both pros and cons to a CVT, but to write them off completely just because you had one shitty car that had one is illogical at best.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

There are literally dozens of current model cars with CVT's - they went away in the 50's because the tech just wasn't there yet. But since they've come back, they're still quite popular.

Most people don't like CVT's because they are "expecting" the shift to happen. So much so that many CVT's now have "fake" shift points.

There are both pros and cons to a CVT, but to write them off completely just because you had one shitty car that had one is illogical at best.

It was exactly that dislike of the lack of shifting that killed them off in the American market. They've been used in Europe in small town cars for many years, probably because nobody bought one then complained that it wasn't like an auto. When they work, they work really well, when they don't work you're going nowhere.

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

It was the fake shift point that made the thing so awful.  The tranny needed frequent adjustment.  If it wasn’t adjusted it wore.  If it wore the problem became irreversible and ate the engine too.  I had a car with 39,000 miles on it that needed an entire new engine and transmission.  I had to donate it.  Complete loss.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It was the fake shift point that made the thing so awful.  The tranny needed frequent adjustment.  If it wasn’t adjusted it wore.  If it wore the problem became irreversible and ate the engine too.  I had a car with 39,000 miles on it that needed an entire new engine and transmission.  I had to donate it.  Complete loss.

Sounds like a badly designed pile of shite if I'm honest.

3 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

It was exactly that dislike of the lack of shifting that killed them off in the American market. They've been used in Europe in small town cars for many years, probably because nobody bought one then complained that it wasn't like an auto. When they work, they work really well, when they don't work you're going nowhere.

They do.  The transmission style is commonly used in snowmobiles.  It’s a bit like air cooling for CPUs in that it works really well up to a certain power level.

3 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Sounds like a badly designed pile of shite if I'm honest.

Complete agreement. 2002 min cooper with cvt transmission.  The 2002 Mini Cooper bit was fine.  It was the transmission that was horrific. The transmission design though (two big cones with a large chain link where the pins of the link ride on the comes) is the same one one all modern automotive cars use though.  The EU model actually worked fine.  It was that they wanted to add fake shift points for the American version that ruined it.

8 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

It was exactly that dislike of the lack of shifting that killed them off in the American market. They've been used in Europe in small town cars for many years, probably because nobody bought one then complained that it wasn't like an auto.

But they aren't killed off in the American market. In Canada (Which, let's be honest, mirrors the American car market almost identically), there are dozens of new cars with CVT's available for me to choose from.

Sentra's, Corolla's, Versa's, and many more. The 2019 Nissan Qashqai SUV is available in either 6-spd manual or CVT, for example.

When they work, they work really well, when they don't work you're going nowhere.

I mean... that's exactly the same as an Automatic trans. When it stops working, you're dead in the water. Same, really, with any trans.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So yeah, you bought a car that was shitty and had a shitty version of a CVT. Let's not pretend like there aren't shitty manuals or automatic transmissions too.

There are plenty of "good" CVT's. Not everyone will like them, due to how they operate (if you must have a shift point, for example, the lack of shifting will be disappointing, and the ones with a fake shift point might be even worse).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

But they aren't killed off in the American market. In Canada (Which, let's be honest, mirrors the American car market almost identically), there are dozens of new cars with CVT's available for me to choose from.

Sentra's, Corolla's, Versa's, and many more. The 2019 Nissan Qashqai SUV is available in either 6-spd manual or CVT, for example.

I mean... that's exactly the same as an Automatic trans. When it stops working, you're dead in the water. Same, really, with any trans.

So yeah, you bought a car that was shitty and had a shitty version of a CVT. Let's not pretend like there aren't shitty manuals or automatic transmissions too.

There are plenty of "good" CVT's. Not everyone will like them, due to how they operate (if you must have a shift point, for example, the lack of shifting will be disappointing, and the ones with a fake shift point might be even worse).

This was exceptionally shitty.  It wasn’t a “this shifts joltily” or “this is hard to get in gear” this was “that crap just cost me $18,000”. It’s a whole other level.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

This was exceptionally shitty.  It wasn’t a “this shifts joltily” or “this is hard to get in gear” this was “that crap just cost me $18,000”. It’s a whole other level.

No doubt. I believe you. That doesn't make CVT's inherently bad.