Building parts help

MoonMoon

My mobo fried this night because of lighting that strucked my house. Funny enough, from the whole house only the mobo and the wifi router fried.

I'm pretty it's the mobo because I switched the psu and tested again, it doesn't turn on.

So my Asus z170 pro gaming just retired, and with it my 6600K. Looking for new parts and I don't know if I go with 9600K/or KF paired with a rog strix Z390-E , or if I go with AMD 3600x paired with a Asus TUF gaming X570-Plus.

The rest of my pc:

GPU: Asus rog strix 2080 (not super)

RAM: hyper X fury 2*8GB 2400mHz

PSU: seasonic G series 650W 80+gold

CPU cooler: Arctic freezer i11

Case: Corsair spec alpha

I don't want to change more than what I need.

And I know that with either CPU it'll already be better than with my old one, but which one of those 2 is better?

Thank you.

41 minutes ago, MoonMoon said:

I'm pretty it's the mobo because I switched the psu and tested again, it doesn't turn on.

Does the power supply turn on separately?  How can you tell it's the motherboard and not the power supply?

Disconnect the 24 pin atx connector and the 8 pin connector from the motherboard, and start the power supply by shorting two pins in the 24 pin connector.

See image below. Basically if you hold the connector in your hand and you look at the holes, with the clip to the right (like in the picture), you can start the power supply by connecting a wire (or a paper clip or whatever) between PS-ON (4th from the top, green)  to any Ground (black) holes. 

If you have a multimeter around, you can measure the voltages. Put a probe in any black hole (or just touch metal inside) and put the other probe on the other pins ... you would measure 3.3v , 5v, 12v and -12v.

image.png.0d116f523e8ea72a20c88046377a29c1.png

3600 is much better. It's equivalent to 8700k.

But i'd try to see if you can make your current one work, first. If you were happy with your current setup, you could just replace motherboard and keep your cpu.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

Does the power supply turn on separately?  How can you tell it's the motherboard and not the power supply?

Disconnect the 24 pin atx connector and the 8 pin connector from the motherboard, and start the power supply by shorting two pins in the 24 pin connector.

See image below. Basically if you hold the connector in your hand and you look at the holes, with the clip to the right (like in the picture), you can start the power supply by connecting a wire (or a paper clip or whatever) between PS-ON (4th from the top, green)  to any Ground (black) holes. 

If you have a multimeter around, you can measure the voltages. Put a probe in any black hole (or just touch metal inside) and put the other probe on the other pins ... you would measure 3.3v , 5v, 12v and -12v.

image.png.0d116f523e8ea72a20c88046377a29c1.png

When connected to the electricity, some LEDs in the motherboard light up, also the LEDs from the dual 8pin in the gpu light up. When pressing the power on button in the case, nothing happens, no sound, no fan, nothing. I changed the psu to my old one, and disconnected the GPU. Same thing, mobo lights on, press power on, nothing happens.

Thanks for the image, but I prefer not touching the electrical parts that directly.

18 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

3600 is much better. It's equivalent to 8700k.

But i'd try to see if you can make your current one work, first. If you were happy with your current setup, you could just replace motherboard and keep your cpu.

The stores where I live don't have LGA 1151 anymore, only LGA 1151v2, and to order it online will take a while to arrive, plus taxes, plus shipping (sometimes it's free, I know). The price I would pay for an "outdated" mobo will not make it worth instead of just upgrading.

About AMD vs Intel, I read that the ryzen works better when you have a faster ram, so I wasn't sure if mine is good enough.

Also would 3600x vs 9600K make that much of a difference in real use?

I put it in CPU.benchmark.com and it isn't that different on paper.

45 minutes ago, MoonMoon said:

The stores where I live don't have LGA 1151 anymore, only LGA 1151v2, and to order it online will take a while to arrive, plus taxes, plus shipping (sometimes it's free, I know). The price I would pay for an "outdated" mobo will not make it worth instead of just upgrading.

About AMD vs Intel, I read that the ryzen works better when you have a faster ram, so I wasn't sure if mine is good enough.

Also would 3600x vs 9600K make that much of a difference in real use?

I put it in CPU.benchmark.com and it isn't that different on paper.

Userbenchmark is flawed, sponsored by intel and i wouldn't recommend using it. Look for direct comparisons in the games relevant to you, or for synthetic benchmarks.

9600k has 6cores and 6 threads, while the 3600 has 6 cores and 12 threads. It beats the 9600k in absolutely all applications, for the same price.

48 minutes ago, MoonMoon said:

It works better with faster ram, but it will also work good enough with your 2400 kit. You'd probably get 80% of the performance you'd get from a 3600 ram kit, but it will still beat the 9600k

4 hours ago, boggy77 said:

Userbenchmark is flawed, sponsored by intel and i wouldn't recommend using it. Look for direct comparisons in the games relevant to you, or for synthetic benchmarks.

9600k has 6cores and 6 threads, while the 3600 has 6 cores and 12 threads. It beats the 9600k in absolutely all applications, for the same price.

I play games like path of exile, steep, cities: skyline, civ 4-5-6, Witcher 3, shadow of war, assassin's Creed origins, shadow of the tomb raider, going to be playing vr games(beat saber, boneworks, etc). I think you can see my playstyle.

For now I play at 1080p, I plan to upgrade to 1440p soon, sometimes I plug it in my tv to play 4k HDR.

The question is which one of those CPUs would be better to those games?

I plan to bring another 2*8gb 2400 in the future.

Rather than buying another 2*8 2400, sell your current one and buy a 2*16 3200. I'd still go with 3600 over 9600k.

4 hours ago, boggy77 said:

Even on this site https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-amd-ryzen-5-3600x-vs-core-i5-9600k-review I saw that 3600 ends up having slightly lower fps, but, the higher the resolution the smaller the gap, and at 1440p most of the times it beats 9600.

Even that I know that I'll be happy with either, and it's already a relatively big upgrade from 6600k, I still ask myself which one to go. Is the stock cooler good enough for the 3600x?

On my 6600k I used Arctic i11 and it managed to keep me 30-50°C(varies because of room temp, summer/winter) with the CPU being 10% oc(4.2gHz). Would I get close temps using it on 9600k?

Would the 3600x stock cooler manage those temps as well?

Because my first pc was Intel (the one that burned), then it kinda makes me want to stick to it, but I want to try, just want to check off all the boxes before I actually buy it.

Thanks for the help.