Cooler Master Masterfan MF120R installation

DansihBudgetGamer

I have a Gigabyte Aorus Elite B450 motherboard and I have a kit of three Cooler Master Masterfans MF 120R (in a kit) with a controller, and a fourth loose one.

My end goal is to get these connected and synced with the lighting on the motherboard, and so my questions are:

The fan controller supports pass through with Gigabyte’s RGB fusion. It comes with the a three pin connector (as wide as Four pins but one with one of them blanked out)

There are two matching headers named V DG on the motherboard with jumpers enabling you to chose between 5 and 12 volts.

Question one

- can I connect the controller to the V DG header directly and expect it to sync up - and do I set it to 5V or 12 V?

Question two

- Can I connect the fourth fan directly to the second V DG header and do I set it to 5 or 12 V?

I should mention, that my wife three away the documentation by mistake, which would probably have made my life a fair bit easier.

• CPU - Ryzen 7 2700
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
  • RAM - 2x 8GB Corsair DDR4-3200 MHZ Vengeance Pro
  • GPU - XFX Radeon RX590 8GB
  • Case - Fractal Design Focus G (because optical drive!)
  • Storage - Kingston A1000 256 NVMe System drive / 2TB Seagate HDD / ASUS generic optical drive
  • PSU - Cooler Master MWE Gold 550W modular
  • Cooling - 2x Cooler Master MF140R (in) / 4x Cooler Master MF120R (out)
  • Keyboard - Corsair K55
  • Mouse - HyperX Fury
  • Sound - 1969 Kenwood KA-4000 analogue amplifier coupled to 2x Dantax STR floor speakers
  • Operating System - Windows 10 Professional 64 bit
  • Laptop - Lenovo V130 series business laptop

57 minutes ago, DansihBudgetGamer said:

can I connect the controller to the V DG header directly and expect it to sync up - and do I set it to 5V or 12 V?

3 pin = 5 volts

4 pin = 12 volts

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

1 hour ago, DansihBudgetGamer said:

I should mention, that my wife three away the documentation by mistake, which would probably have made my life a fair bit easier.

You can quite easily find all the relevant documents online in pdf form.
Aorus B450 Elite
CoolerMaster MF120R aRGB 3-in-1 kit

The aRGB in your fans is 5V.

I wouldn't really trust into a 3pin = 5V, 4pin = 12V rule, while it is the case most of the time, some companies might decide on going their own way, for example the NZXT RGB strips are 4pin 5V. The rule is rather 3pin = addressable RGB, 4pin = simple RGB, but that doesn't define the voltage of the strips. It's always best to consult the manual on the voltage.

The 3 pin connectors on my motherboard can either be 5 or 12 v, controlled by a jumper.

Anyways, I just took a chance and plugged it in and it is working, so all is good.

• CPU - Ryzen 7 2700
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
  • RAM - 2x 8GB Corsair DDR4-3200 MHZ Vengeance Pro
  • GPU - XFX Radeon RX590 8GB
  • Case - Fractal Design Focus G (because optical drive!)
  • Storage - Kingston A1000 256 NVMe System drive / 2TB Seagate HDD / ASUS generic optical drive
  • PSU - Cooler Master MWE Gold 550W modular
  • Cooling - 2x Cooler Master MF140R (in) / 4x Cooler Master MF120R (out)
  • Keyboard - Corsair K55
  • Mouse - HyperX Fury
  • Sound - 1969 Kenwood KA-4000 analogue amplifier coupled to 2x Dantax STR floor speakers
  • Operating System - Windows 10 Professional 64 bit
  • Laptop - Lenovo V130 series business laptop