Music Production & Touring LAPTOP

Hello everyone, 

this is my first post and I come to this enormous LTT community in search for any recommendations for this situation I have in a few months.

I am a musician and I will start touring outside my hometown pretty soon, this said... I will start to produce A LOT of music at the end of the year this means using a LOT of music libraries (samples and music recording) in a Laptop, 

The reason of a laptop is because I need to carry my 'studio' wherever I go,

Everyone has recommended a macbook pro, but not a big fan of apple products, and to be honest all the libraries (samples and music) are available for windows as well sop I think I am using REAPER FM.

I thought about a Razer Blade 15 2019 (9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750H 6 Core processor NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6 GB GDDR6 VRAM)) 16GB ram and ssd 512GB RTX 2060... and upgrade it to 32gb of ram and 2tb SSD. (Yeap it may be a very expensive laptop and even more expensive upgrade, but I am willing to invest my money on something that doesn't let me down and lets me work fine!) So Thunderbolt is a MUST in this case. 

But I would love to listen to you guys, any recommendations? Should I wait for the end of the year deals?

Thanks you so much!

Regards,

Héctor.

One more for MacBook Pro I’m afraid.  Part of the deal is they’re rugged.  There’s a reason touring equipment is all covered in metal corner protectors and stuff.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

One more for MacBook Pro I’m afraid.  Part of the deal is they’re rugged.  There’s a reason touring equipment is all covered in metal corner protectors and stuff.

So maybe a macbook pro 13", but I must get that on the official site because the ram is not up-gradable so I will need to get that from stock installed I guess.

My Apple option is:

• 2.4GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
  • 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5300M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory
  • 512GB SSD storage
  • 16-inch Retina display with True Tone
  • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID

I know nothing about those AMD Radeon Pro Memory :(

The 16gb Option it is, i guess.
I would not buy 13" Pro anymore, when there's a high chance of a new 13" Pro (probably even 14") coming in March~, with the "new old" Scissor Keyboard, and probably larger battery, maybe more Ram/Storage in Base model.
Similar to the 15" -> 16" upgrade.

Ya, a MacPro would be fine but totally not necessary either.

Any Intel/(newer)AMD based laptop with at least 1 TB port is fine. More is better but again, not necessary. I'd go with a 17" and since battery life is also something to consider, an RTX2060 is total overkill and won't matter much if your processor has an APU built-in as it won't use the 2060 unless you are actually gaming. As is the case with my son's TUF gaming laptop for instance. For music production, it's a bit unnecessary.

The ability to add more ram or upgrading it would be necessary. Soldered ram is fairly common so watch out for that.

An M.2 drive is a boon for loading large patches during a performance or multiple instances of your DAW or other software in the MIDI chain. Along with a decently sized 2.5" drive or 2.5" SSD.

Adding another USB-C portable monitor really helps in a performance as well.

I don't always use it but I've used Lemur on my iPad (also for Android) as an excellent controller for my DAW on the laptop as well. (In my case, Reason 11)

For me, specs like peak screen brightness is not important. It is nearly always dark unless there is lighting coming directly at me and from behind the display which is rare. I find myself turning the brightness down nearly every time.

6 or more cores is a good choice and depending on how you are using Reaper (did you bounce the tracks or are you playing directly from soft synth? (I wouldn't recommend the latter for cpu performance reasons). Reduce the load as much as possible except for the parts where you want/need to manually perform live.

You can get all of this and still stay under the cost of a (new and sometimes used) MacPro.

Without knowing what other gear you plan to hook up to the system, I can't really offer much more than what I currently look for myself.

As to which laptop exactly? What are you going to be doing with it in the performance? What other gear etc? What is the laptop's main role? 

Cheers!

If you go PC just remember you need something that will live through a half drunk roadie throwing it into the back of a van and then throwing something else really heavy on top of it.  We’re talking something more rugged than “it only flexes a little when I wiggle it”

Panasonic tough book would be one option.  Overkill even.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Theorica said:

Ya, a MacPro would be fine but totally not necessary either.

Any Intel/(newer)AMD based laptop with at least 1 TB port is fine. More is better but again, not necessary. I'd go with a 17" and since battery life is also something to consider, an RTX2060 is total overkill and won't matter much if your processor has an APU built-in as it won't use the 2060 unless you are actually gaming. As is the case with my son's TUF gaming laptop for instance. For music production, it's a bit unnecessary.

The ability to add more ram or upgrading it would be necessary. Soldered ram is fairly common so watch out for that.

An M.2 drive is a boon for loading large patches during a performance or multiple instances of your DAW or other software in the MIDI chain. Along with a decently sized 2.5" drive or 2.5" SSD.

Adding another USB-C portable monitor really helps in a performance as well.

I don't always use it but I've used Lemur on my iPad (also for Android) as an excellent controller for my DAW on the laptop as well. (In my case, Reason 11)

For me, specs like peak screen brightness is not important. It is nearly always dark unless there is lighting coming directly at me and from behind the display which is rare. I find myself turning the brightness down nearly every time.

6 or more cores is a good choice and depending on how you are using Reaper (did you bounce the tracks or are you playing directly from soft synth? (I wouldn't recommend the latter for cpu performance reasons). Reduce the load as much as possible except for the parts where you want/need to manually perform live.

You can get all of this and still stay under the cost of a (new and sometimes used) MacPro.

Without knowing what other gear you plan to hook up to the system, I can't really offer much more than what I currently look for myself.

As to which laptop exactly? What are you going to be doing with it in the performance? What other gear etc? What is the laptop's main role? 

Cheers!

Thanks for your elaborated answer!

You are right, what I am thinking to do is two separate things. Studio and Tour.

Tour is not a big issue to be honest, is just metronome and some audio effects with some samples, quite easy.

Studio music production is what I am not sure, on the topic of Reaper, I am planning to get some of the music libraries of Komplete Kontrol, make some sample usage, write music with lets say some synths, then drums, then bass, just usual stuff, but if someday I use lots of libraries that is where I could get concerned. I will be glad to work in writing the music without any concerns (or the less concerns). 

So basically GPU is out of the equation, that is something I really wanted to know of guys like you that have more experience than me on this, because I have been a musician for more than 18 years but I NEVER sat down and tried to struggle with computers about getting this thing done.

So main role for the Laptop in studio is Everything, I may record acoustic drums and some guitars, but everything else will be composed with sample libraries.

On tour, it is with another whole different band that doesn't needs this so, that is out of my concern to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

We’re talking something more rugged than “it only flexes a little when I wiggle it”

That made me laugh. Haha

I usually tend to keep my laptop close by and in my own back pack. Both for security and for reducing damage. My synths, controllers and other gear do not have my music files on them along with software licenses, dongles etc that can be stolen. If the other gear is stolen or damaged, at least it won't stop me completely.

There are tons of ways to protect your laptop whether it's a mac or not so while it's a concern, I don't feel that it is something to fixate on.

At least in my experience. I use both BTW. Still rocking my late 2011 13". ? 

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If you go PC just remember you need something that will live through a half drunk roadie throwing it into the back of a van and then throwing something else really heavy on top of it.  We’re talking something more rugged than “it only flexes a little when I wiggle it”

hahaha totally agree! 

You know I have seen lots of videos of LTT about laptops and all of those are quite fragile and "gaming" type always, I mean the channel's market is that but if I look anywhere else everyone said Apple, so I was always wondering if there is a Windows side of this regarding music production, etc.

9 minutes ago, Hector Origel said:

So main role for the Laptop in studio is Everything, I may record acoustic drums and some guitars, but everything else will be composed with sample libraries.

On tour, it is with another whole different band that doesn't needs this so, that is out of my concern to be honest.

Ok then. Perhaps a laptop that has more than 6 cores as from what I can tell, Reaper loves threads and actually uses them. An external storage solution might be in order along with an external display so you aren't stuck with what the laptop offers. even 17" is restrictive and annoying after a while. Sound libraries eat up space fast.

An external audio device will be a must if you plan on recording analogue. IE drums, guitar, bass, vocals etc. (Does not need to be thunderbolt either). Something like a Steinburg UR-22 sounds like it would be just fine for your described usage. Or a similar offering from others like Focusrite etc. Not important but LMG uses Focusrite if I recall.

You'll need a pair of studio monitors if you don't already have them. I use KRK's but whatever your ears and wallet tell you is right. Totally subjective. Used is also a great option. So check out your local buy and sell if you don't have any.

A decent pair of studio headphones. I use AKG 240 MKii's but again, all about your own preference etc.

And that is about all you need for the most basic DAW set-up. Everything else is simply up to your own specific needs. If the laptop can cover the studio part, it will naturally cover the gigs just as well without any worry at all. Just don't let anyone other than you or people you trust handle it when on the road.

16 minutes ago, Hector Origel said:

hahaha totally agree! 

You know I have seen lots of videos of LTT about laptops and all of those are quite fragile and "gaming" type always, I mean the channel's market is that but if I look anywhere else everyone said Apple, so I was always wondering if there is a Windows side of this regarding music production, etc.

Panasonic toughbooks are made for cops.  Working machines not playing machines.  Theyre what you see bolted to the front dash of a police cruiser.  They’ve got waterproof keyboards,  water and dust plugs everywhere, and they’re vibration resistant.  More than you need possibly.  They’re also pretty expensive.  There might be a middle ground available.  Macs get their toughness from a one piece milled metal case.  They’re also (less) vibration resistant but it’s still taken into account during design.  Not so great at the liquids though.  LTT did a review of a tough book.

3 minutes ago, Theorica said:

Ok then. Perhaps a laptop that has more than 6 cores as from what I can tell, Reaper loves threads and actually uses them. An external storage solution might be in order along with an external display so you aren't stuck with what the laptop offers. even 17" is restrictive and annoying after a while. Sound libraries eat up space fast.

An external audio device will be a must if you plan on recording analogue. IE drums, guitar, bass, vocals etc. (Does not need to be thunderbolt either). Something like a Steinburg UR-22 sounds like it would be just fine for your described usage. Or a similar offering from others like Focusrite etc. Not important but LMG uses Focusrite if I recall.

You'll need a pair of studio monitors if you don't already have them. I use KRK's but whatever your ears and wallet tell you is right. Totally subjective. Used is also a great option. So check out your local buy and sell if you don't have any.

A decent pair of studio headphones. I use AKG 240 MKii's but again, all about your own preference etc.

And that is about all you need for the most basic DAW set-up. Everything else is simply up to your own specific needs. If the laptop can cover the studio part, it will naturally cover the gigs just as well without any worry at all. Just don't let anyone other than you or people you trust handle it when on the road.

Yes, more than 6 cores is what I have been told, or at least 6 cores and some good ram!
Thank you so much for all the pro tips Theorica, I really appreciate it!

You both have been great help to me, thanks for taking valuable time of your day to help me out!

For the best overall thin and light gaming/performance laptop I would go for Mag-15 (if you're buying in US). With TB3 and long battery life. Excellent support and constant updates. Good thermals even for its size, with some tuning the performance can beat most thin and lights. Price is not that expensive for a thin and light with such specs

Edit: My review on this machine is almost done

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

For the best overall thin and light gaming/performance laptop I would go for Mag-15 (if you're buying in US). With TB3 and long battery life. Excellent support and constant updates. Good thermals even for its size, with some tuning the performance can beat most thin and lights. Price is not that expensive for a thin and light with such specs

Hey Genexis, 

I will totally check that one out! Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Theorica said:

Oh! Thx @genexis_x for reminding me. Yes @Hector Origel, having a backlit keyboard is nearly a must when at a gig!

If you can't see the keyboard, it sometimes makes for some rather embarrassing moments. ? 

This is another point for macs.  They all have backlit keyboards.  The only available color is white of course.  Most PC laptops are home machines, school machines, office machines, or games machines.  A work machine is what is needed.  Music can be a lot more hectic and travel oriented than the average office job.  This is why people are saying macs.  The little ones have had thermal issues lately, which imho was dead stupid of apple.  They seem to be fixing that one.  I personally wouldn’t go for the 13”.  The 16” is the one that works well.  Might be out of budget though.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

This is another point for macs.  They all have backlit keyboards.  The only available color is white of course.  Most PC laptops are home machines, school machines, office machines, or games machines.  A work machine is what is needed.  Music can be a lot more hectic and travel oriented than the average office job.  This is why people are saying macs.  The little ones have had thermal issues lately, which imho was dead stupid of apple.  They seem to be fixing that one.  I personally wouldn’t go for the 13”.  The 16” is the one that works well.  Might be out of budget though.

Yes, totally agree on that one.

Apple for music production is a beast, if I go with apple I would go for the 16". 

Thanks for the pro tip! I will keep all this on mind.

I have to be honest and politely disagree as to the reasoning behind needing a Mac or ruggedized pc laptop.

Backlit KB's aren't too much of an issue at all to be worried about or even offer kudos to one company over another. They are extremely common now. Just make sure it has it. I mentioned it because a few years back, I was using a laptop without backlit keys and it was a disaster. Today? I don't think it is a problem but its still something to watch for.

As for a ruggedized laptop, macs aren't rugged as much as they are well engineered. Cooling has been an issue though. They might have better build quality but I wouldn't be allowing anyone to toss my macbook around like I would my work laptop. A ruggedized surface pro. Unless you get a shell for it as well. Furthering its cost.

What I think most people fail to realize is that while in use on tour, the laptop is literally sitting on a table rather than being dropped, rained on, covered in mud, dust, or bearing weight on it in certain situations such as in the field in construction or similar.

It is the stowage and transport that is the issue while on tour. You can have a ruggedized laptop in a bag or you can have your laptop (mac or pc) in an actual case made for taking on the road. Just as you would your tuba or saxophone or a mixer.

Apogee, IK Multimedia, Gator, Stagemaster as just a few, all offer pro audio solutions for your gear including a laptop. Often much cheaper for the case and laptop over a single Macbook or ruggedized pc by themselves.

With that in mind, I can't be honest about it without mentioning that there are other solutions to keeping your laptop from being damaged. Let alone not allowing others to handle your laptop anyway. Mainly for security reasons. Gear can be stolen but if your laptop that you use for studio work also goes missing, that is a whole lot more of a problem that will completely shut you down. It takes zero extra effort on your own part to handle the laptop yourself. There is no excuse. Your work, software keys, licenses and dongles, perhaps financial information now that most software needs to be online for most of its functionality to work etc(Reaper does not dial home though. Plugins often do though). This gear is far more different than a foot pedal, mixer or microphone. I would not advise allowing anyone to touch it other than those you trust. This alone negates the typical roadie trashing your things concerning your laptop. I cannot stress this enough. No matter what your laptop choice is. Handle it yourself.

30 years and so far so good for myself and others I know. I used to lug complete computers. Originally my A3000 Tower, later my Mac G3 Tower and others until about 2010ish when laptops were finally decent enough to use over a desktop system. I don't play much anymore but still do a lot from home for myself and others.

I just want the original poster to know that there are options and why I at least don't subscribe to needing a ruggedized system for this kind of use. It isn't quite the same and I realize it flies in the face of most sales pitches if you bring it up (and why you see people repeating it when asked). Any excuse for an upsell is a good one in sales but not always needed for the buyer. It's a half truth...

Also, I have found that there is really no distinct difference between OSX and Windows concerning music production/recording now. If anything, you actually have more choice and options on the pc side. Along with the benefit of saving much more to put toward other things. If you require Logic and Audio Units then there is no option but OSX. If not, then the world is your oyster. If money is no object, go Mac! You won't be disappointed. But you won't be if you don't either and that is the whole point of my post.

Cheers!

34 minutes ago, Theorica said:

I have to be honest and politely disagree as to the reasoning behind needing a Mac or ruggedized pc laptop.

Backlit KB's aren't too much of an issue at all to be worried about or even offer kudos to one company over another. They are extremely common now. Just make sure it has it. I mentioned it because a few years back, I was using a laptop without backlit keys and it was a disaster. Today? I don't think it is a problem but its still something to watch for.

As for a ruggedized laptop, macs aren't rugged as much as they are well engineered. Cooling has been an issue though. They might have better build quality but I wouldn't be allowing anyone to toss my macbook around like I would my work laptop. A ruggedized surface pro. Unless you get a shell for it as well. Furthering its cost.

What I think most people fail to realize is that while in use on tour, the laptop is literally sitting on a table rather than being dropped, rained on, covered in mud, dust, or bearing weight on it in certain situations such as in the field in construction or similar.

It is the stowage and transport that is the issue while on tour. You can have a ruggedized laptop in a bag or you can have your laptop (mac or pc) in an actual case made for taking on the road. Just as you would your tuba or saxophone or a mixer.

Apogee, IK Multimedia, Gator, Stagemaster as just a few, all offer pro audio solutions for your gear including a laptop. Often much cheaper for the case and laptop over a single Macbook or ruggedized pc by themselves.

With that in mind, I can't be honest about it without mentioning that there are other solutions to keeping your laptop from being damaged. Let alone not allowing others to handle your laptop anyway. Mainly for security reasons. Gear can be stolen but if your laptop that you use for studio work also goes missing, that is a whole lot more of a problem that will completely shut you down. It takes zero extra effort on your own part to handle the laptop yourself. There is no excuse. Your work, software keys, licenses and dongles, perhaps financial information now that most software needs to be online for most of its functionality to work etc. This gear is far more different than a foot pedal, mixer or microphone. I would not advise allowing anyone to touch it other than those you trust. This alone negates the typical roadie trashing your things concerning your laptop. I cannot stress this enough. No matter what your laptop choice is. Handle it yourself.

30 years and so far so good for myself and others I know. I used to lug complete computers. Originally my A3000 Tower, later my Mac G3 Tower and others until about 2010ish when laptops were finally decent enough to use over a desktop system. I don't play much anymore but still do a lot from home for myself and others.

I just want the original poster to know that there are options and why I at least don't subscribe to needing a ruggedized system for this kind of use. It isn't quite the same and I realize it flies in the face of most sales pitches if you bring it up (and why you see people repeating it when asked). Any excuse for an upsell is a good one in sales but not always needed for the buyer. It's a half truth...

Also, I have found that there is really no distinct difference between OSX and Windows concerning music production/recording now. If anything, you actually have more choice and options on the pc side. Along with the benefit of saving much more to put toward other things. If you require Logic and Audio Units then there is no option but OSX. If not, then the world is your oyster. If money is no object, go Mac! You won't be disappointed. But you won't be if you don't either and that is the whole point of my post.

Cheers!

You make good points.  A roadie only has to grab your bag once though. Also things get left in the rain.  It’s annoying and it’s not supposed to happen but it does.  Partially depends on what kind of gigs are getting played.  If this is, say early music or something it isn’t like it’s going to be back door of a bar to back door of a bar.  air travel is still air travel though.
 The case option is a good solution for that.  Wouldn’t even need anything music specialized, just good and rugged.  Pelican makes some hardcore laptop cases that aren’t super pricey.  Wouldn’t be the worst idea to get something like that for touring no matter what gets bought.

As for ruggedness they’ve got 3d milled one piece cases.  That kind of thing is gettable in PCs.  It’s not super special though it does cost.