SFF PSU for H200/H200i NZXT

Vejnemojnen
Go to solution Solved by kieguru,

I have an H200 and have Corsair SF750, I would highly recommend. I'm running an EVGA 2070S Black edition and was getting up to 75c, because of the reduced height of the PSU I was able to fit a fan on top (blowing up from inside the PSU shroud).  This dropped my temps to around 66-67c.

You also get loads more room to store cables, just be aware that I had to get extensions for the MB cables as the SF750 ones were too short.

Just out of curiosity: is there anyone running a H200-H210 case by NZXT with a full-sized ATX power supply? 

I do, but it was a bit frustrating to install it with the 3,5" HDD (i know, I should have purchased an SFF PSU, but, this one was kind of bargain back in the summer).

Do I assume it correctly, that it would be better if I switched my PSU (WhisperM BitFenix) to a smaller unit? Right now I have a 75W TDP graphics card, but later I might get something with more power. And I'm concerned, that there would be hardly any fresh air to breath for the GPU with the large ATX power supply. Would it be recommendable to sell the PSU and get a smaller one? From a financial point of view, that would be disastrous.

Anyone, who's running H200: I'd kindly appreciate you to share your experiences and opinions. : )  

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

1 minute ago, Vejnemojnen said:

And I'm concerned, that there would be hardly any fresh air to breath for the GPU with the large ATX power supply.

They're in different compartments, why ?

No point in switching the PSU unless you really get bugged out by cable management.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

They're in different compartments, why ?

No point in switching the PSU unless you really get bugged out by cable management.

Thanks. I only asked, as the PSU fans are facing towards the PSU shroud, which has perforated top. But, if the PSU blocks the way pretty much completely, then the graphics card hardly gets any fresh air from the bottom. And the GPU fans are very-very close to the PSU shroud, so basically hardly any room beneath the fans to suck air from.

I have a feeling, I've made a bad decision with such a big power supply.

Just now, Vejnemojnen said:

as the PSU fans are facing towards the PSU shroud

Flip it around then.

11 minutes ago, Juular said:

Flip it around then.

I made a mis-type. The Psu fans face downward, and the gpu cooler is which is almost touches the shroud. Pardon, it was a mistake. 

3 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

I made a mis-type. The Psu fans face downward, and the gpu cooler is which is almost touches the shroud. Pardon, it was a mistake. 

no problem It's easy to do

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

So you think that there would be more air with SFX PSU from under PSU shroud ? It needs circulation anyway you know, just add some case fans so it would be okay, or get water-cooled GPU. Your mistake were doing SFF build with high-end GPU.

1 minute ago, Juular said:

So you think that there would be more air with SFX PSU from under PSU shroud ? It needs circulation anyway you know, just add some case fans so it would be okay, or get water-cooled GPU. Your mistake were doing SFF build with high-end GPU.

:) now I have a 75w tdp gpu, though later I might get something up to 150-180watts. I have two 140mm intake fans front, one 120mm exhaust at the back. I can add another 120mm one on the top. 

Currently I don't have problems with temps, GPU is 27-28degrees while idle (fans are stopped, does not spin).  During unigine superposition or gaming, it might get as high as 58celsius (40% fan speed). If undervolted, it's a few degrees less. 

But I'm concerned, that with a bigger graphics card, it might be insufficient. 

Only thinking about possibilities. If I would upgrade the current 75w GPU to something more powerful. 

9 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

no problem It's easy to do

What?  I don't have to flip it, it's installed the right way (PSU gets fresh air from beneath the case).  Or what do You mean by it? 

Anyone else with direct experiences with ATX vs. SFX PSU for H200, I'd be glad to hear your opinions : )

19 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

What?  I don't have to flip it, it's installed the right way (PSU gets fresh air from beneath the case).  Or what do You mean by it? 

I was talking about where you said you made a mistake 

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

44 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

I was talking about where you said you made a mistake 

Well, yes. Buying a large PSU with very long cables was a mistake. Either I get a smaller PSU, or change my case to another. Probably the latter would be more sensible.;) 

I have an H200 and have Corsair SF750, I would highly recommend. I'm running an EVGA 2070S Black edition and was getting up to 75c, because of the reduced height of the PSU I was able to fit a fan on top (blowing up from inside the PSU shroud).  This dropped my temps to around 66-67c.

You also get loads more room to store cables, just be aware that I had to get extensions for the MB cables as the SF750 ones were too short.

Thanks everyone for the contribution. I'll probably stick with my WhisperM for now, and later, if I'd get something beefier-with higher TDP, I might consider switching to an SFX PSU. But for the time being, I won't hassle.

• 3 months later...
On 1/20/2020 at 9:12 AM, kieguru said:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but when you say the stock cables were too short, how much longer would they have needed to be if you didn’t want extensions?

R5 3600X | MSI B450m mortar max | Gigabyte RTX 2060 mini |  2x8GB 3400MHz (stable at 3600MHz, 16-19-18-19-36, 1.36V, but the XMP profile wouldn't work lol) - https://imgur.com/a/6vMS0lI

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 11:59 PM, rufioh said:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but when you say the stock cables were too short, how much longer would they have needed to be if you didn’t want extensions?

Sorry for the late reply! It was only about 2-3 cm off but the extensions allow for loads better cable management