Laptop with 16 cores already possible?

I doubt the coolling in most current laptops can handle the TDP of the 3950X and what's the point of underclocking a top of the line CPU to make it perform worse than a lower spec CPU just so you can have a 16 core CPU in a laptop.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

5 minutes ago, wo0t said:

Has someone already tested whether it is possible, to successfully put a 3950x CPU into one of those AMD Ryzen laptops?
For example the Acer Predator Helios 500 DTR with a Ryzen 7 2700 Vega 56 GPU.

I guess a new BIOS is needed for that and you may have to run it with the 65W "ECO" mode for some minor performance loss.

Yeah with some BIOS hack's I'm sure it would work and turn on, just don't think the power and cooling would hold up though. You'd probably get similar performance to the standard R7 2700

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

6 minutes ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

what's the point of underclocking a top of the line CPU to make it perform worse than a lower spec CPU

Tell that to Apple ?

13 minutes ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

I doubt the coolling in most current laptops can handle the TDP of the 3950X and what's the point of underclocking a top of the line CPU to make it perform worse than a lower spec CPU just so you can have a 16 core CPU in a laptop.

13 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Yeah with some BIOS hack's I'm sure it would work and turn on, just don't think the power and cooling would hold up though. You'd probably get similar performance to the standard R7 2700

You're forgetting that the 7nm parts are much more power efficient, a 3950X is only consuming 135W which is similar to an overclocked 2700X, you only need to downclock it a little bit to match the stock 2700X TDP or even lower and lets assume that it's at 3.5Ghz, with the IPC increase that would be matching the 2700X in single core performance.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Besides there's also 9900K laptops which already consume more than the 3950X at stock, I don't see how this would be difficult.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

• 3 months later...
On 1/18/2020 at 2:39 PM, TempestCatto said:

Tell that to Apple ?

Will you still laugh when that underclocked chip melts “better” windows chips in a drag race of premier vs Final cut?

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?