OpenShell LTT Start button - Convert Linus and Luke to Open Shell

Clemens

Hello,

I'm tired of hearing Linus and Luke complain about the Windows search in WAN show...and would like them to try Open Shell.

For those who don't know, Open Shell is an alternative start menu for Windows 7/8/8.1/10. It also has (imho) a much better search engine built in (which uses Windows indexing, but just much better). It's also fully customizable.

It can be downloaded here: https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu/releases

For helping to convince them...I made a LTT Start button!

Feel free to improve it with smoother animations or higher resolution svgs to start with (I started from some png file) or other colours, also for Luke a floatplane button would be nice (if someone has a nice svg of it please send or link it, I can make the button then).

Here you can see it in action:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hecc23f49bs8at/2020-01-18 10-41-11.mkv?dl=0

Just download the PNG at the bottom of the post, go to the Open Shell settings and under the tab Start Button, select replace start button. Under Custom Button->button image you can select the PNG.

btw you also can install open shell and just use the normal Win10 startmenu except for the button ;)

Kind regards,

Clemens

LTT_Open_shell_button.png

Doscendo Discimus

4 hours ago, Clemens said:

I'm tired of hearing Linus and Luke complain about the Windows search in WAN show...and would like them to try Open Shell.

Alternatives are always welcome and interesting, but I'm confused as to how using a Start menu alternative invalidate the complaints about Windows search ... Using Chrome, Firefox or Opera doesn't invalidate complaints about Edge !!

For those interested, Open Shel is a fork of Classic Shell (anyone that had Windows 8 without a Start menu will know Classic Shell ;) )

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Because classic shell / open shell shows in the start menu search relevant results, Windows search shows stupid things.

It starts with the fact that open shell shows 30 results or so, windows search 2.

Also more relevant results show up, and they get sorted nicely (into programs and documents)

If you want to stick with the Windows 10 start menu, you also can by using shift+win for 1 of the two menus (and use open shell only for searches).

Doscendo Discimus

1 minute ago, Clemens said:

Because classic shell / open shell shows in the start menu search relevant results, Windows search shows stupid things.

You misunderstood me, replacing Windows 10 start menu doesn't fix the core issue ; Windows search still sucks ... just as Edge or IE still sucks even if you use Firefox.

What about the few people that use Cortana? I don't use Open Shell, but how does it integrates with searches in File explorer (all other ways to use Windows search) ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Oh I understand...imho Windows search on indexed folders (Like the user folder) isn't that bad. Just the start menu search is terrible (and search on unindexed folders takes long).

And it doesn't integrate with anything of explorer, and who in the world uses Cortana?

Btw you can just use the search button to use the old search (this doesn't change), and you can keep using Cortana.

Doscendo Discimus