help with choice of cpu cooler

cachowww

hey everyone, I'm torn in which cpu cooler I should get for my system that isn't too expensive but should keep my temps low and not be too noisy. At the moment I am choosing between the cryorig H7 and the hyper 212 black edition however any other suggestions are also welcome! thanks :) 

What is price difference between 3600 with cooler and 3600x with no cooler?  Coolers chosen are better and quieter but not by very much.  If price of 3600x is nearly the same as 3600 it may be worth it.  Only if though.  Last I looked in one place they were not.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I'd say go for Hyper 212 EVO, since it has more potential in terms of cooling.

Purify your Windows 10/11, don't give Microsoft anything that you don't want to share.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZwVs9zrM493rjD42E2Pf0YcOkaW92ZUo

Tips for folding on laptop:

Lazy man wants upgrades from the sky.

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/Spakes

Prefer Hyper 212 Black

11 minutes ago, Spakes said:

I'd say go for Hyper 212 EVO, since it has more potential in terms of cooling.

more potential than what? It's worse than the Black in every way but the price, which you should get the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 instead since they do the same thing just as good

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

24 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Prefer Hyper 212 Black

more potential than what? It's worse than the Black in every way but the price, which you should get the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 instead since they do the same thing just as good

alright I'll go for the hyper 212 black, thanks for your help! the only reason I wanted to go h7 is because it's quieter, a bit cheaper and has a higher cfm (49 vs 42 of hyper 212 black)

2 minutes ago, cachowww said:

alright I'll go for the hyper 212 black, thanks for your help! the only reason I wanted to go h7 is because it's quieter, a bit cheaper and has a higher cfm (49 vs 42 of hyper 212 black)

also would the rgb version be more worth for an extra $8?

23 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Prefer Hyper 212 Black

My experience is that a 4 pipe cooler is basically a 4 pipe cooler unless something funny has been done to cheapen the pipes.  The coolers Themselves are basically similar.  The fans are different though.  The 212 traditionally has a sleeve bearing fan so inexpensive and quiet, but slightly quick to wear.  Much quicker if placed horizontally.  I don’t know about the gammax fan. It is listed as “hydro bearing” which means little to me.  It may be the same or different.  A lot of fans have modified rifle bearings instead of sleeves now.  The difference in this case is if the fan is going to have to go up/down in the case or not.  If not  the next thing up for consideration is the mounting.  The 212 has some side clips that direct airflow.  They can also be a bit of a PITA.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, cachowww said:

There is one consideration that may favor the gammax.  If the position is up/down you may find the hyper212 fan wears quickly and gets loud.  It’s a long term thing.  It will be quieter for the first several months.

47 minutes ago, cachowww said:

Kitguru's reviews (different CPU tested, so used Arctic Freezer 280 results as scaler) suggests that the Black is cooler, though no noise comparisons.

41 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My experience is that a 4 pipe cooler is basically a 4 pipe cooler unless something funny has been done to cheapen the pipes.  The coolers Themselves are basically similar.  The fans are different though.  The 212 traditionally has a sleeve bearing fan so inexpensive and quiet, but slightly quick to wear.  Much quicker if placed horizontally.  I don’t know about the gammax fan. It is listed as “hydro bearing” which means little to me.  It may be the same or different.  A lot of fans have modified rifle bearings instead of sleeves now.  The difference in this case is if the fan is going to have to go up/down in the case or not.  If not  the next thing up for consideration is the mounting.  The 212 has some side clips that direct airflow.  They can also be a bit of a PITA.

Deepcool 400 is a copy of the Hyper 212 Evo, they just changed the mounting (so instead of the annoying X they use pushpins for Intel). The fan should still be a sleeve bearing, just because there's no other bearing type you can expect from something this cheap.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

28 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Kitguru's reviews (different CPU tested, so used Arctic Freezer 280 results as scaler) suggests that the Black is cooler, though no noise comparisons.

Deepcool 400 is a copy of the Hyper 212 Evo, they just changed the mounting (so instead of the annoying X they use pushpins for Intel). The fan should still be a sleeve bearing, just because there's no other bearing type you can expect from something this cheap.

The difference in actual construction between a sleeve bearing and a rifle bearing is a spiral groove in the side.  With a modified rifle bearing like a fluid dynamic bearing Theres is also some very small wave patterns in the plastic to help distribute lubricant.  Noctua charges a premium because they have rep.  The hyper212 comes at a premium because it has rep.  So the fan is potentially cheaper and the cooler is potentially cheaper for the same quality, so it’s possible.  It’s also possible “hydro bearing” just means “sleeve” though.  I don’t know.  If the “hydro bearing” is even a regular old rifle bearing it would probably last longer in a horizontal mount.  It would need to be checked though.  If the mounting is vertical it doesn’t really matter, and if the gammax fan is sleeve it’s just worse, because those plates on the side of the hyper212 do help a bit.

3 hours ago, cachowww said:

also would the rgb version be more worth for an extra $8?

It performs a bit better but is noisier due to the higher number of fan blades. The rest of the cooler is the same. It's up to you if you would pay more for that and a bit of lighting. 

I recommend trying the stock cooler first. You can always decide to replace it later if you're not satisfied with it. 

There are also better coolers for the money than the Hyper 212 RGB BE if you're not getting it for the looks. For example, the Windale 6 would be better: https://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=4334913

3 hours ago, cachowww said:

hey man do you know if 450w is enough for this build? https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/user/benjmg/saved/vtMp23 or would it better if I went 550w for an extra $26?

Yes, it'd be enough but you might save more money in the long run by getting a psu that can better support a more power hungry graphics card in the future.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

30 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It performs a bit better but is noisier due to the higher number of fan blades. The rest of the cooler is the same. It's up to you if you would pay more for that and a bit of lighting. 

I recommend trying the stock cooler first. You can always decide to replace it later if you're not satisfied with it. 

There are also better coolers for the money than the Hyper 212 RGB BE if you're not getting it for the looks. For example, the Windale 6 would be better: https://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=4334913

Yes, it'd be enough but you might save more money in the long run by getting a psu that can better support a more power hungry graphics card in the future.

I wouldn't be getting the rgb version especially for looks but rather for the higher cfm but if they're basically the exact same but the black edition is quieter I'll go for the black instead

I also decided I'll probably just stick with the 550w as a little more future proof and better performance and I won't be making too many big upgrades in the future

6 hours ago, cachowww said:

I wouldn't be getting the rgb version especially for looks but rather for the higher cfm but if they're basically the exact same but the black edition is quieter I'll go for the black instead

The Hyper 212 RGB BE does perform better due to the different fan so the effective result isn't exactly the same. They're not far apart though. 

The Windale 6 I mentioned is actually a bit taller than what the case clearance is specified for so it probably wouldn't fit -- my bad. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You've got enough room to fit a Le Grand Macho RT, as good as a D15 but without clearance issues. As a side note, this cooler can be used passively.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's