Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SpiderPCMaster

I'm building a PC in the summer. What will be out by then?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm planning on building a PC in the summer. Are there any releases I should wait for?

 

 

 

Extra question: Is the RAZER Sila good? If not, are there any good 5GHz wireless routers that are under $200?

Link to post
Share on other sites

if you're build a pc in the summer, ask then, every bit of info today will be out of date then

also stay away from razer, get a netgear or linksys, there's no such thing as a 'gaming' router, you just pay more for the gaming branding.


CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant speak on what will be out at summer time. No body really can.

 

As far as routers. If your needs is just standard home use then most routers will work. Ive had $100 netgears and $300 linksys and for your standard home use you cant really tell a difference. Just look up reviews. 

 

I say this as a networking noob. But considering alot of gamers are using the router their isp gives for free with no issues i wouldnt put too much worry on it. Unless you have some other needs out of the router other than just connecting to the internet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

I say this as a networking noob. But considering alot of gamers are using the router their isp gives for free with no issues i wouldnt put too much worry on it. Unless you have some other needs out of the router other than just connecting to the internet.

The router my isp gave me, in 2018, was from 2009. NEVER rely on the isp router, everyone I know who uses it can't barely video call, not even game. When I talk to the isp techs, they all confirm that the they just rotate broken routers instead of replacing the broken ones.
 

As for router price, there's a huge difference with there barely being any AC routers at around $100 and you getting wifi 6 with even less latency on the $300 ones. There's also a big difference with bandwidth, with 5ghz barely being over your rated speed on the low end and 2.4ghz being faster than your rated speeds on the higher end. Then we get into tri band and the ability to connect to more devices, maybe you only need your phone and pc which is fine, but OP might need to power the smart family of 6 of tomorrow with 5 devices each + the fridge + oven + thermostat + etc.


CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

router their isp gives for free

Where the fuck do you live where the ISP equipment is free? Comcast will charge your ass $14 a MONTH for a fucking gateway. Always buy your own.


You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SpiderPCMaster said:

I'm planning on building a PC in the summer. Are there any releases I should wait for?

 

 

 

Extra question: Is the RAZER Sila good? If not, are there any good 5GHz wireless routers that are under $200?

Make syre that your linw can actually support 5ghz...

 


Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Where the fuck do you live where the ISP equipment is free? Comcast will charge your ass $14 a MONTH for a fucking gateway. Always buy your own.

Google Fiber gives you a router/accesspoint for free if you stay with them for a year.
Internet is $70+tax, no other fees or anything. so /shrug


Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ Stock / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid @ 2101mhz core, 5200mhz mem / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

and you getting wifi 6 with even less latency on the $300 ones

Um, no. All your other devices will also need to support WiFi6 to get any WiFi6 - benefits. Connecting a WiFi5-device to a WiFi6-router will just get you WiFi5-connectivity.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Um, no. All your other devices will also need to support WiFi6 to get any WiFi6 - benefits. Connecting a WiFi5-device to a WiFi6-router will just get you WiFi5-connectivity.

I said the router is wifi 6, not that he'd automatically have wifi 6 benefits. However most motherboards are starting to add wifi 6 connectivity, so in 6 months he'll have a 90% chance of being on wifi 6. Even more so you still get the security benefits and mu-mimo benefits that you'd otherwise miss out on with a older wifi 5 router, so yes there is a definitive benefit for buying a newer router even if you don't get to have all of them.


CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Where the fuck do you live where the ISP equipment is free? Comcast will charge your ass $14 a MONTH for a fucking gateway. Always buy your own.

Some places like in Canada most ISP refuses to give out any information. You have to uses their pre-configured modem (or combo modem/router) or too bad for you.

Luckily, if you end up with one those 1 Yuan Store bought modem/router combo unite, connecting yours with some fiddling can disable its router part.

One of our ISP here in Canada, the biggest, used routers from a defunct company, with the reputation of crashing if "too many" DNS request is performed to it under a given time, and has horrible latency. I was told by the tech, that they target your average "mom&pop" that casually surf the net, and not surf too fast the web, like opening multiple tab for a search result or gaming. I was suggested to switch t their enterprise solution for event equipment. I switch provider. The good news is that as many years ago, and that ISP no longer uses such equipment. Still bad stuff, but at least reasonable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Canada most ISP refuses to give out any information.

And that is the only reason I like the US. Legally we can own our own modems. Hurray for regulations. Though support for customer owned equipment varys ISP to ISP. Meaning you may get firmware updates, or they might have tested the modem on their network or they have not. Comcast has a list and every thing on that list has been tested to work. 


You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Some places like in Canada most ISP refuses to give out any information. You have to uses their pre-configured modem (or combo modem/router) or too bad for you.

Luckily, if you end up with one those 1 Yuan Store bought modem/router combo unite, connecting yours with some fiddling can disable its router part.

One of our ISP here in Canada, the biggest, used routers from a defunct company, with the reputation of crashing if "too many" DNS request is performed to it under a given time, and has horrible latency. I was told by the tech, that they target your average "mom&pop" that casually surf the net, and not surf too fast the web, like opening multiple tab for a search result or gaming. I was suggested to switch t their enterprise solution for event equipment. I switch provider. The good news is that as many years ago, and that ISP no longer uses such equipment. Still bad stuff, but at least reasonable.

On Shaw Cable out here in Edmonton Ive just called in to the tech support guys in the past and told them I was gonna use my own router, they shut off the wireless part on their all in one piece, plugged mine in and it was good to go after set up. Are you referring to Bell Media or Rogers? Or other?


CPU Ryzen 3600, MB MSI MEG Ace x570, RAM Corsair Vengence Pro 32gb @ 3200 mhz, Custom Loop, Thermal Take Core P5 TG, GPU EVGA RTX2080 Ti XC  PC Part Picker list for complete build https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/j86vTB

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SpiderPCMaster said:

I'm planning on building a PC in the summer. Are there any releases I should wait for?

 

 

 

Extra question: Is the RAZER Sila good? If not, are there any good 5GHz wireless routers that are under $200?

Single Google wifi puck

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Where the fuck do you live where the ISP equipment is free? Comcast will charge your ass $14 a MONTH for a fucking gateway. Always buy your own.

Charter gave me one for free years ago. Maybe they stopped doing that? I replaced mine because the dog actually pissed on it lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RonnieOP said:

Charter

They are litterally like the only ISP that gives you a modem. Ive heard you have to rent a router or buy your own. Charter is the only ISP that I know of that gives a standard cable modem and not a gateway. BUT they have shitty support for customer owned modems. So it makes sense why they decided to provide free modems. 


You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jumballi said:

The router my isp gave me, in 2018, was from 2009. NEVER rely on the isp router, everyone I know who uses it can't barely video call, not even game. When I talk to the isp techs, they all confirm that the they just rotate broken routers instead of replacing the broken ones.
 

As for router price, there's a huge difference with there barely being any AC routers at around $100 and you getting wifi 6 with even less latency on the $300 ones. There's also a big difference with bandwidth, with 5ghz barely being over your rated speed on the low end and 2.4ghz being faster than your rated speeds on the higher end. Then we get into tri band and the ability to connect to more devices, maybe you only need your phone and pc which is fine, but OP might need to power the smart family of 6 of tomorrow with 5 devices each + the fridge + oven + thermostat + etc.

Really? I know a bunch of people who are using the isp router with no issues at all.  We play games while the kids are watching netflix and a number of people are on phones with no issues.

 

Hell at one of my work places we have the one charter provided and it runs everyones phones, a few laptops and tablets, and 2 tvs streaming netflix.

 

Im just soeaking from personal experience though. My router at home is a $120 netgear at the moment. Nothing special. But when i had the much more expensive nighthawk it didnt really offer anything that i use that justify the price. I honestly cant see a performance difference between the two and thats with basically every smart device you can think off and alot of phones and pcs. I dont have blazing fast speeds though. Only 100/10.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

They are litterally like the only ISP that gives you a modem. Ive heard you have to rent a router or buy your own. Charter is the only ISP that I know of that gives a standard cable modem and not a gateway. BUT they have shitty support for customer owned modems. So it makes sense why they decided to provide free modems. 

Yeah maybe its a charter only thing. I cant speak for other providers as charter is the only one in my area.

 

The CS i cant speak of either as ive never actually had to call them for any issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, RonnieOP said:

Really? I know a bunch of people who are using the isp router with no issues at all.  We play games while the kids are watching netflix and a number of people are on phones with no issues.

 

Hell at one of my work places we have the one charter provided and it runs everyones phones, a few laptops and tablets, and 2 tvs streaming netflix.

 

Im just soeaking from personal experience though. My router at home is a $120 netgear at the moment. Nothing special. But when i had the much more expensive nighthawk it didnt really offer anything that i use that justify the price. I honestly cant see a performance difference between the two and thats with basically every smart device you can think off and alot of phones and pcs. I dont have blazing fast speeds though. Only 100/10.

 

If you live alone or only 1 having an active connection, and range is not an issue as you are fairly close by it, then even the cheapest of router will do. What you gain from premium ones are support in terms of security firmware updates, feature set which you may or may not care about, a better web interface (usually, but not always), greater range, especially if you have a lot of walls, not only support but also deliver the best internet sharing with multiple devices at the same time (so if you have 1Mbps connection, your 600$ router won't help you.. but if you have 1Gbps then that router will allow you to shine a lot more than a 100$ one with multiple active users in a home).

 

So yes, it is a balance of multiple factor. Sure if you don't want to break your head and get the best and have the money, sure, go ahead, get the premium stuff, but yes in reality, for many people a 35$ cheapy unit will do just fine... they are single users, check e-mails, casually watch YouTube at best 1080p, have the unit next to them.. yea, no issue. Usually good ISP, in North America, tend to get cheap stuff, yes, but also balance what most of their users use case. They know that if you have demanding needs, then you'll have your own unit in any case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

 

If you live alone or only 1 having an active connection, and range is not an issue as you are fairly close by it, then even the cheapest of router will do. What you gain from premium ones are support in terms of security firmware updates, feature set which you may or may not care about, a better web interface (usually, but not always), greater range, especially if you have a lot of walls, not only support but also deliver the best internet sharing with multiple devices at the same time (so if you have 1Mbps connection, your 600$ router won't help you.. but if you have 1Gbps then that router will allow you to shine a lot more than a 100$ one with multiple active users in a home).

 

So yes, it is a balance of multiple factor. Sure if you don't want to break your head and get the best and have the money, sure, go ahead, get the premium stuff, but yes in reality, for many people a 35$ cheapy unit will do just fine... they are single users, check e-mails, casually watch YouTube at best 1080p, have the unit next to them.. yea, no issue. Usually good ISP, in North America, tend to get cheap stuff, yes, but also balance what most of their users use case. They know that if you have demanding needs, then you'll have your own unit in any case.

Yea that was what i was getting at.

 

I see alot of people buy these very very expensive routers (which have great features dont get me wrong) but all they are doing is gaming and media. 

 

I did it at one point when i bought the nighthawk. Thought since i was adding smart doorbells, cameras, thermostats, etc i would benefit from it but i really didnt.

 

I cant speak for robust security though. I dont really mess with any of that and dont have the need for it. I usually setup the router once and never touch the settings again.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

robust security though. I

Generally gateways provide by the ISP can only be updated by the ISP. Also the ISP has a back door in to that equipment. Been told that Comcast can change any setting on their gateways and can even see devices connected on customers network. That is the biggest reason I dont use their equpment. With a standard cable modem the ISP keeps the firmware updated (In the case of Charter it provides little to know updates or support for customer owned equipment), and I seperate router the ISP cant back door in to and I myself can keep fully updated and update at my convience. 

 

Plus paying $14 a month times 12 months equals $168 a year, you can buy a modem for under $100 and probably the same with a router. It would only take 1 to 3 years really to pay off any one time investment in equipment. The fact is Ive been using the same modem for 5+ years, cost $80 at the time, We had a router already. In one year we paid that modem off and have saved tons of money and not gave it to Comcast. The only downside is my modem will need to be upgraded when Comcast provides another free speed boost, if they ever do, OR if they stop supporting this modem, which is also possible. But 5+ years is a good run and good savings. 

 

I paid $200 for a router a few years back. Yes it was expensive but Synology is good about keeping it updated. The routers firmware seems to be good, not some of the shit ive seen in the past. The range and performance work. We use streaming a lot, not just internet streaming, I have a Plex server and we could have multiple things happening at once. The router does it all and more. Hopefully Im able to keep it for 5+ years, we will see. 


You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Generally gateways provide by the ISP can only be updated by the ISP. Also the ISP has a back door in to that equipment. Been told that Comcast can change any setting on their gateways and can even see devices connected on customers network. That is the biggest reason I dont use their equpment. With a standard cable modem the ISP keeps the firmware updated (In the case of Charter it provides little to know updates or support for customer owned equipment), and I seperate router the ISP cant back door in to and I myself can keep fully updated and update at my convience. 

 

Plus paying $14 a month times 12 months equals $168 a year, you can buy a modem for under $100 and probably the same with a router. It would only take 1 to 3 years really to pay off any one time investment in equipment. The fact is Ive been using the same modem for 5+ years, cost $80 at the time, We had a router already. In one year we paid that modem off and have saved tons of money and not gave it to Comcast. The only downside is my modem will need to be upgraded when Comcast provides another free speed boost, if they ever do, OR if they stop supporting this modem, which is also possible. But 5+ years is a good run and good savings. 

 

I paid $200 for a router a few years back. Yes it was expensive but Synology is good about keeping it updated. The routers firmware seems to be good, not some of the shit ive seen in the past. The range and performance work. We use streaming a lot, not just internet streaming, I have a Plex server and we could have multiple things happening at once. The router does it all and more. Hopefully Im able to keep it for 5+ years, we will see. 

Hmm didnt know that about isps being able to change settings.

 

I still have the charter isp modem.

 

Im a weird case though. Ive had free charter for about 3 years now. We were going away for a few months so we cancelled charter until we got back. We got back and cable tv was off but internet was still on. And its been on ever since lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RonnieOP said:

Im a weird case though. Ive had free charter for about 3 years now. We were going away for a few months so we cancelled charter until we got back. We got back and cable tv was off but internet was still on. And its been on ever since lol.

This is an obvious red flag at how incompetent these companies can get. If they can't remember to turn off your internet, what else can they forget to provide, like say quality routers and modems.


CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jumballi said:

like say quality routers and modems.

Like I said above. Your better off buying your own. Not many companies are like charter and provide equipment for free. Comcast for instace charges $14 a month. AT&T also charges, Century Link, Verizon, etc. So your in many ways better off paying a one time fee and purchasing your own to use for years. 


You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

This is an obvious red flag at how incompetent these companies can get. If they can't remember to turn off your internet, what else can they forget to provide, like say quality routers and modems.

I mean theres not a company in the world you could point to and say they havent made a mistake.  So by that logic you shouldnt trust literally any company.

 

What we think happen is because charter diwconnects internet remotely. It was a simple error of the worker not disabling both the cable and internet. Probably just misclicked. Not really a huge deal or something to hold against them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×