Wraith Prism even louder at idle than wraith stealth?

RylanStylin

I recently upgraded from a Ryzen 5 2600 + AMD Wraith Stealth and 3 chassis fans to a Ryzen 7 3800x + AMD Wraith Prism and 6 chassis fans.  Its so much louder now at idle. ALL of the fans run at 1500+ RPM all the time. (on iCue's Quiet preset). Cooler is installed correctly/thermal paste/etc. 

Is this a normal problem?

1500 rpm is fairly high.  Fans usually have to run near or below 1000 rpm to be quiet.  Is this a heat thing or an “I just set it this way” thing?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 minutes ago, RylanStylin said:

I recently upgraded from a Ryzen 5 2600 + AMD Wraith Stealth and 3 chassis fans to a Ryzen 7 3800x + AMD Wraith Prism and 6 chassis fans.  Its so much louder now at idle. ALL of the fans run at 1500+ RPM all the time. (on iCue's Quiet preset). Cooler is installed correctly/thermal paste/etc. 

Is this a normal problem?

What are your fan settings in UEFI? 1500 rpm is a bit high to run at idle.

Also, if I'm reading your OP correctly you added 3 chassis fans. More fans=more noise.

I set it to only run at 700rpm below 50c.When I do this, it will ramp down to good levels of quiet, but will ramp up ever once in a while until it cools back down. Its very annoying either way.

2 minutes ago, steelo said:

What are your fan settings in UEFI? 1500 rpm is a bit high to run at idle.

Also, if I'm reading your OP correctly you added 3 chassis fans. More fans=more noise.

But the fans should be able to run quieter with the better airflow

1 minute ago, RylanStylin said:

But the fans should be able to run quieter with the better airflow

What makes fan noise is the velocity of the leading tip of the fan blade edge. This is why smaller fans can make more noise than bigger fans. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

There is more to better airflow then just more fans. 

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x (4.3GHz)  |  GPU: MSI 1070 Ti Duke  |  MotherboardASUS Prime X570-Pro  |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200 32GB

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

What makes fan noise is the velocity of the leading tip of the fan blade edge. This is why smaller fans can make more noise than bigger fans. 

Usually most of the noise comes from air moving through obstructions. Be it a dust filter, heat sink or honey comb mesh on back fan slot.

And the solution is to drop fan speeds on idle to 500-800rpm.

43 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Usually most of the noise comes from air moving through obstructions. Be it a dust filter, heat sink or honey comb mesh on back fan slot.

And the solution is to drop fan speeds on idle to 500-800rpm.

That may also be a factor.  My memory was that a given fan model had a sort of magic rpm number before fan noise itself became a big deal, and that varied.  There were big jumps between fan sizes and small ones between fan models.  The number for 120mm fans was usually between 800-1000rpm. This may have changed with tweaks to fan design.  My data is very 2010/2015.  Larger fan sizes had lower numbers but moved more air at those lower numbers.  The result was that larger diameter fans had slightly higher equivelant cfm but lower static pressure.

Are you using default motherboard settings? Is the bios updated? 

Have you tried setting a custom fan curve? A silent profile works well in most cases but not all situations. It's common to have to tweak fan speeds to your liking if you want the system to be quiet. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.