Whether to buy laptop now or to wait (+ any recommended site for customization)

I am currently thinking of buying Razer Blade 15 Mid-2019 edition with i7-9750H and 2080-Max-Q (1080P screen).

While just contemplating on whether to buy or not, I came across a news about all of the Razer's lineups being refreshed this year wth Intel's 10th gen CPUs.

I would like to get some advice on whether to wait for new laptops or to just buy laptop now.

Side Question:

I have bought from HIDevolution previously, and I am thinking about doing the same again. Just wondering whether there are any alternatives or recommendations.

Tenth gen will offer a slight performance upgrade in cpu intensive Tasks and some power savings that will lead to longer battery life. Based on previous intel refreshes this will be a 10-15% upgrade in both cases so if that is worth the wait to you than wait. 

sure you want a razer blade? Didn't here much good news about reliability or longevity and customer support.

waiting on 10th gen is probably a waste of time, the only benefit would be getting the then old model on clearance sale.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Which country you're going to buy from?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

45 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

Tenth gen will offer a slight performance upgrade in cpu intensive Tasks and some power savings that will lead to longer battery life. Based on previous intel refreshes this will be a 10-15% upgrade in both cases so if that is worth the wait to you than wait. 

I am primarily purchasing it as a work PC with gaming+mobile capability on side, so I guess battery life improvement seems a little more enticing, but I suppose its not going to be all that much.

12 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

sure you want a razer blade? Didn't here much good news about reliability or longevity and customer support.

waiting on 10th gen is probably a waste of time, the only benefit would be getting the then old model on clearance sale.

I did hear about their issues back in the days. Not sure whether I have encountered many complaining about current quality. Is it still a big issue?

2 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

Which country you're going to buy from?

I am living in Hong Kong at the moment, but will be buying from US (at least if I buy it from HIDevolution.com)

16 minutes ago, StormEye said:

Is it still a big issue?

Yes

16 minutes ago, StormEye said:

but will be buying from US (at least if I buy it from HIDevolution.com)

So you're buying from US websites, not buying in US, correct?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

2 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

So you're buying from US websites, not buying in US, correct?

Correct.

Budget? Preferred max weight and min battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

19 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Budget? Preferred max weight and min battery life?

Below USD 6K

Below 2.5KG

Preferably 8 hour battery life in general use (which drops to like 2 hours or something if playing games)

Don't like 4K screen, 1440P is ok (if there are any)

Needs to have at least minimum 120+hz screen

Panel type to be IPS or at least similar level TN

I would suggest getting Eluktronics Mag-15. Cheapest thin and light+long battery life gaming laptop, yet has excellent exterior build and good thermals (even for a thin and light). The keyboard needs some time to get used to, otherwise typing on it feels great. Audio quality from the speakers isn't great though (at least from my perspective). With TB3 if you need it.

If you need UHD display, go for Gigabyte Aero 15 OLED (not the older one / Classic)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 1/20/2020 at 9:19 PM, genexis_x said:

Eluktronics Mag-15

I have checked it out, and I am quite interested.

Its almost half price compared to Razer 15 that I was looking to get (granted that Razer 15 has 2080 Max-Q).

How much of a difference would 2070MQ vs 2080 MQ make?

Also, I have looked around a little more and was reading that Eluktronics laptops are quite a bit louder than Razer.

10db difference from what I am seeing.

Is this true? I would prefer laptop to run quieter if possible.

6 hours ago, StormEye said:

How much of a difference would 2070MQ vs 2080 MQ make?

Depending on TGP. For Mag-15 it can go up to 115W thanks to Tongfang GPU Boost (requires tweaking)

6 hours ago, StormEye said:

Also, I have looked around a little more and was reading that Eluktronics laptops are quite a bit louder than Razer.

Thin and lights are usually louder since they have more limited cooling room. Mag is slightly louder

My review: https://genexisx.blogspot.com/2020/01/review-level51-vapor-15-pro-i7-9750h.html

Desktop specs:

Spoiler