Spilled coolant on Mother Board?

Hey all,

Finally got my water loop finishe and pressur tested air first and looked like I was ready to go. So I filled the loop with Thermaltake C1000 Pure Clear Coolant and after an hour a fitting gave way and I got a little coolant on the mother board. It is ok b/c I was still just running the pump with everything else unplugged.

The MOBO is now dry and I wiped off as much of it as I could see.

My question, do I have to get into all the nooks and crannies and wipe off the coolant residue? Will dried coolant residue from this coolant be an issue? Or is the only thing import here is that it is completely dry?

1 hour ago, JapanDave said:

Hey all,

Finally got my water loop finishe and pressur tested air first and looked like I was ready to go. So I filled the loop with Thermaltake C1000 Pure Clear Coolant and after an hour a fitting gave way and I got a little coolant on the mother board. It is ok b/c I was still just running the pump with everything else unplugged.

The MOBO is now dry and I wiped off as much of it as I could see.

My question, do I have to get into all the nooks and crannies and wipe off the coolant residue? Will dried coolant residue from this coolant be an issue? Or is the only thing import here is that it is completely dry?

You want to clean everything or you risk potential corrosion or possible short if fluid is trapped under components or connectors. Ideally the best option would be to strip the system and clean the motherboard using 99%isopropyl alcohol which will displace the coolant and also quickly evaporate. 

i'd suggest going with the recommendation above.

"risking" your stuff like that seems (IMO) kind of dumb since it will only be one or two days of the pc being off whilst you get the parts to clean it properly.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

I should of probably mentioned this in the first post, but it was only a few splashes from a fitting about 20cm away to the side of the MOBO, with the MOBO orientated vertically.

As for using the alcohol, just dowse the whole MOBO? Or just the parts where I can see there may have been coolant there?

Here is a pic of the spillage. I used a heap of cue tips and isopropyl alcohol (and some beer) to clean up. So I am confident this should be enough.

2020-01-17 19.41.59.jpg

2020-01-17 19.42.15.jpg

1 hour ago, JapanDave said:

Here is a pic of the spillage. I used a heap of cue tips and isopropyl alcohol (and some beer) to clean up. So I am confident this should be enough.

I would for sure remove that and give it a small bath of isopropyl and gentle scrub away any remaining coolant residue just in case. In theory just cleaning the surface of that should be enough but that is a risk you will take. 

Do you have something like a Datavac or compress air? I would avoid getting lots of alcohol in areas like under the cpu socket or ram slots if you don't have anything to blow these tight spaces out, you'd be surprised how long it takes to evaporate naturally in places like that.

I just sprayed my down with electoral cleaner and let it dry. 

No issues with any of the stuff I clean that way. I do small stuff like gpus with just 90% alcohol and a toothbrush. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Spray with electrical contact cleaner leave to dry overnight.

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

11 hours ago, Neggy-Z said:

Do you have something like a Datavac or compress air? I would avoid getting lots of alcohol in areas like under the cpu socket or ram slots if you don't have anything to blow these tight spaces out, you'd be surprised how long it takes to evaporate naturally in places like that.

Yes I do have compressed air, that is something I did not think of.

Be careful with compressed air, it's possible to "Inject" moisture/water vapor into places it doesn't need to be.

That's why it's suggested to use canned air instead of plain old compressed air for such.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.