Switch is now Nintendo's third best-selling home console, VGChartz

kaiju_wars

So according to VGChartz, as reported by Forbes, The Nintendo Switch sold 49.79 million units in its lifetime so far.  This now surpasses the Super Nintendo, which sat at 49.10 million units sold in its lifetime.  This now makes it the 3rd best-selling Nintendo home console of all time, while also making it the 4th best-selling handheld console, considering it's a hybrid console.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2020/01/02/the-nintendo-switch-has-now-sold-more-units-than-the-super-nes/#3d81161046cd

The Nintendo Switch surpassed the Super NES’s total lifetime sales at the end of 2019 according to estimates from video game sales tracking site VGChartz.

According to the report, the Nintendo Switch “sold 961,543 units for the week ending December 28, 2019 to bring its lifetime sales to 49.79 million units worldwide. This compares to the SNES with lifetime sales of 49.10 million units.”

I actually think this is pretty cool to see.  It shows that Nintendo finally hit the niche they were looking for they originally set out to find way back with the Wii U in 2012.  I'm glad to see this return to form with the Switch as a result.

According to VGChartz the Nintendo Switch has sold 17.33 million units in the US, 13.22 million in Europe and 11.62 million in Japan. The remaining 7 million or so units were presumably sold outside these three large regions.

My only question is did the article mean US or NA.  As usually the region sticks to NA and not just US. 

And for fun fact hour:

The top-selling video games for the Nintendo Switch as of September 30th were:

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 19.01 million
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 15.71 million
  3. Super Mario Odyssey – 15.38 million
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 14.54 million
  5. Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee! – 11.28 million
  6. Splatoon 2 – 9.28 million
  7. Super Mario Party – 7.59 million
  8. Pokemon Sword / Shield - 6 million*
  9. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 4.59 million
  10. Super Mario Maker 2 – 3.93 million

I'm happy that Splatoon 2 is so high on the list, but also sad it's not higher.  Mario Kart 8 Deluxe I'm not completely surprised it sold so much.  Mario Kart 8 was also the best selling game on Wii U.  Super Smash Bros Ultimate became the best selling fighting game of all time back in November 2019. 

Quite frankly, I'm happy the Switch is doing so well.  I was going through a personal gaming drought from early 2014 to mid 2018.  I did play some games here and there on PC and stuff, but it wasn't meaning as much to me as it used to.  The Switch turned a lot of that around for me.  Hell, my Switch gets more playtime than my PC nowadays.  The Switch both helped me remember the joy I used to have in gaming, and the magic of Nintendo's IPs.  Hell, Splatoon 2 is easily my most played game on Switch with over 500 hours logged.

I hope the Switch continues to do so well.  It essentially gives me a no compromise gaming experience (for the most part).  I get Nintendo's first party AAA games.  I get third party AAA games.  The Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games of all time, and it's on the Switch.  It's not the prettiest way to play it, but I can play it on my TV, and I can take my Switch with me when I go to work and play it on my down time there.  Same with Doom, Doom Eternal (when released), Wolfenstein.

Sure, I can take my laptop from college (Dell Inspiron 7559) and it would run better, but also would take up more room and be less portable than my Switch.  I'm not tethered to a desk or chair or TV with the Switch. 

I am happy to see Nintendo turn it around, especially after the failure that was the Wii U.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Fun fact, if you take all popular console sales (traditional and handheld) into account that Nintendo has made they've sold around 750 million consoles whereas the company in second place, Sony, has only sold around 550 million consoles. Microsoft is really lacking here bringing in around 155 million.

Note all this is from the below wikipedia page so obviously take it with a grain of salt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles#Home_game_consoles

Don't take VGChartz at face value. Their estimations have gotten a bit better over the years but their sources are still limited and often times their estimates are wildly off.

4 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Fun fact, if you take all popular console sales (traditional and handheld) into account that Nintendo has made they've sold around 750 million consoles whereas the company in second place, Sony, has only sold around 550 million consoles. Microsoft is really lacking here bringing in around 155 million.

Note all this is from the below wikipedia page so obviously take it with a grain of salt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles#Home_game_consoles

The big difference here is that Nintendo has started selling consoles in the early 80s, while Sony has started halfway in the 90s. Plus, Nintendo has made a lot more consoles (as a platform) than Sony.

They are the biggest players of the console market in history, but to be fair Nintendo is the king of "on the way" experiences while Sony is pretty much undefeated in the home segment since it has existed (With a self-inflicted kick in their balls with the launch of PS3, from which they recovered well).

Microsoft is the only one that has pretty much always just struggled and became a niche.

PS: And don't forget that Nintendo tried to kill the PS1...

1 hour ago, ErrantNyles said:

The big difference here is that Nintendo has started selling consoles in the early 80s, while Sony has started halfway in the 90s. Plus, Nintendo has made a lot more consoles (as a platform) than Sony.

They are the biggest players of the console market in history, but to be fair Nintendo is the king of "on the way" experiences while Sony is pretty much undefeated in the home segment since it has existed (With a self-inflicted kick in their balls with the launch of PS3, from which they recovered well).

Microsoft is the only one that has pretty much always just struggled and became a niche.

PS: And don't forget that Nintendo tried to kill the PS1...

What? Nintendo did kill the Nintendo Playstation but that was not the PS1, not even close. The NPS was a 16 bit system which wasn't capable of much more than SNES graphics with CDROM audio, almost exactly like the Sega/Mega CD.

The PS1 was born from the ashes of the NPS.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Yeah.  Microsoft is also the newest, and the only time they put up heavy competition was with the 360.  Granted over 40 million units sold with the Xbox One, especially considering its botched launch, isn’t anything to sneeze at.  All interesting stuff though.  

23 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

What? Nintendo did kill the Nintendo Playstation but that was not the PS1, not even close. The NPS was a 16 bit system which wasn't capable of much more than SNES graphics with CDROM audio, almost exactly like the Sega/Mega CD.

The PS1 was born from the ashes of the NPS.

It was the precursor and prototype of what later became the PS1, exactly.

3 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

It was the precursor and prototype of what later became the PS1, exactly.

Except it wasn't. The NPS was literally a SNES with a CD ROM bolted on. The NPS & PS1 share nothing except a CD ROM drive.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

So?

The Switch is tech, this is tech news.  It shows that Nintendo really turned it around from the Wii U.

Oh look at that, I'm using the subforum correctly, so what is your comment for?

Just now, huilun02 said:

Well I was not accusing this of not being tech news.

Just having trouble finding information that I can base on to potentially make an informed decision.

I'm not sure what decision it's supposed to help you make.  It's really just stating that the Switch is doing really well, and that they really turned it around from the Wii U.

I mean, makes sense.
Some of the exclusives they've released for the switch have been (reportedly) great.
Almost everyone I know has one (doesn't say much I guess).
I also have one, but don't use it often. Still a sale tho :P

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)