RTX 2070 or RX 5700xt?

Ryan-Simpson

So I'm building a pc soon and I have the option of the Rtx2070 (none super) or the RX 5700xt. Both are the same price at £350 over hear in the UK but what one is the better option as far as performance goes? Ray tracing is nice but as there is only a few games that support it, I'm not to bothered for now. I just want the best FPS possible. 

13 minutes ago, Ryan-Simpson said:

So I'm building a pc soon and I have the option of the Rtx2070 (none super) or the RX 5700xt. Both are the same price at £350 over hear in the UK but what one is the better option as far as performance goes? Ray tracing is nice but as there is only a few games that support it, I'm not to bothered for now. I just want the best FPS possible. 

5700xt has a bit more power, 2070 has features (which you may or may not want or need) the one that matters for pure gamers is Nvidia has some streaming stuff which may be handy if you do that.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The 5700xt crushes the 2070 in pure gaming it's even better than the super variant.  

But if you care for rtx and dlss and maybe the Turing video decoding chip for recording and streaming the Nvidia card is the choice. 

Also maybe take into account how long you want to keep it. You said rtx is nice but there are few titles right now. Well tbh at 1080p a 2070 will last you 4 years maybe even more before you could even need a newer one. So also keep that in mind ^^ 

The 1070 is 4 years old now ^^ and it's still quite a nice card. 

24 minutes ago, Ryan-Simpson said:

Before you buy any of the cards just read some reviews, also check the drivers, I heard amd cards have few more problems with drivers than nvidia.

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

Just now, Whiro said:

Before you buy any of the cards just read some reviews, also check the drivers, I heard amd cards have few more problems with drivers than nvidia.

Yes that is a concern. I did have an old amd 390x a while back that had very buggy drivers 

6 minutes ago, Ryan-Simpson said:

Yes that is a concern. I did have an old amd 390x a while back that had very buggy drivers 

It all depends how much you want to spend for that card as well. 5700xt are in the bracket of £320-450 , cheapest 2070 super I could find was £430

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

27 minutes ago, NoGanksEric said:

The 5700xt crushes the 2070 in pure gaming it's even better than the super variant.  

But if you care for rtx and dlss and maybe the Turing video decoding chip for recording and streaming the Nvidia card is the choice. 

Also maybe take into account how long you want to keep it. You said rtx is nice but there are few titles right now. Well tbh at 1080p a 2070 will last you 4 years maybe even more before you could even need a newer one. So also keep that in mind ^^ 

The 1070 is 4 years old now ^^ and it's still quite a nice card. 

This is just ridiculous. The 5700 XT does not “crush” the 2070 super. The 2070 and 5700 XT trade blows, while the 2070 Super is somewhat ahead of both.

6 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

This is just ridiculous. The 5700 XT does not “crush” the 2070 super. The 2070 and 5700 XT trade blows, while the 2070 Super is somewhat ahead of both.

The rx5700xt is way better than the 2070 and in most titles either the same or better than the 2070super in some Nvidia favored titles it's worse maybe but by 5 fps at most also with the rtx2070 super costing 100$ more. Here in Germany sometimes even 150€ you can not really call it a better card. 

Still this is about the 2070 non super so that call is quite easy 

6 minutes ago, NoGanksEric said:

The rx5700xt is way better than the 2070 and in most titles either the same or better than the 2070super in some Nvidia favored titles it's worse maybe but by 5 fps at most also with the rtx2070 costing 100$ more. Here in Germany sometimes even 150€ you can not really call it a better card. 

Still this is about the 2070 non super so that call is quite easy 

You’re just wrong. OP says he can get them for the same price in which case I’d grab the 2070

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/07/09/nvidia-rtx-2070-vs-amd-rx-5700-xt-vs-rtx-2070-super/

13 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

You’re just wrong. OP says he can get them for the same price in which case I’d grab the 2070

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/07/09/nvidia-rtx-2070-vs-amd-rx-5700-xt-vs-rtx-2070-super/

He said he can grab the non super for the same price. And the non super is just worse for pure fps gaming 

And like Whiro mentioned the cheapest rtx2070 super is 430£. So 70£ more. Wich is 92$ so i am still right. 5 fps in some games for 100$ more is bullshit ^^ 

8 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

“Just wrong” May be a bit strong.  He may be overstating things.  I suspect he’s looking at the userbenchmark rating which is famously flawed.  The rest of the page is interesting though.  Userbenchmark can still have some value if you ignore the top number.  If you look down it lists the 5700xt as being a bare 1%faster en total with losses in some things.  IMHO There is a small argument for the 5700xt over the 2070 IF none of the special features of the Nvidia card have any value.  It is smaller than stated though.  If the difference was even a bare tenner I’d say go with the cheaper one for just gaming.

Myself I’d buy neither.  Highest current estimation for Jaguar2 navi21 light performance is 2070S, which while probably high, is not met by either card.  Neither may have long term use.  I’d get the cheapest piece of used junk available and expect to throw it away and buy something bigger than either of them at the end of the year.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.