The end of lightning is nigh, possibly.

Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
19 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

Not calling you a liar in any way old bean. The lies comment was referring to those sellers on many an online outlet that tell you their cell, power bank or whatever has massively more power than is even possible. Some people even believe it.

So what you are saying there is that no cell should be reused. Seriously bad for the environment that. There really are many companies around the world making perfectly good devices from used cells. Stuff in the consumer arena that passes all EU safety tests and as such is sold into the market. There is also more industrial stuff such as home power walls, rapid car chargers, even those easy start units for starting a car with a flat battery can use old cells. There are many products out there that are excellent.

Bad, conman electronics are just that whether they contain a battery or not. Don’t pick on just one of them, they all need stopping whatever the tech. Fake gear is often bad in so many ways including how those that actually make it are treated. That is what the EU should be stomping on.

I’m not saying that. I’m saying they should be correctly marked.  A high end cell, lest say an LG h2 brown (a real one, many are counterfeits)  can be used down to the point where it doesn’t provide service the way a user wants, so it gets recycled.  That LG H2 brown may be part of some battery pack for let’s say randomly a cordless drill.  One could go through each of the maybe up to fifteen batteries in that battery pack and find some in pretty good shape.  They’ll make fine batteries for an electric bike or something,  but telling someone it’s a fresh LG2 brown that still has a thousand cycles at 2000mah capacity with a drain of 20ma is simply not true.  It’s got a testable mah capacity that is going to go down.   It’s got safe ma drain rate of who-the-hell-knows.  That can be worked with.  Call the safe drain rate maybe 10, which is fine for an electric bike, and check the mah capacity occasionally.

Not so much with an e-cigarette, but with other things.  

Here's an unpopular opinion:

USB-C is so confusing with the protocols and such, that if Apple used USB-C it would have to be Apple certified. Thus creating much confusion between USB-C cables and Apple compatible USB-C cables. Since only Apple devices use lightning, there's no confusion at all. 

So YAY! Apple...

(When my iPhone 7 kicks the bucket, I'll switch over to Android. I ain't spending 700€ on a new iPhone and I ain't gonna miss Lightning...)

I used to love the lighting port and still do ... but it needs to die. Regardless of whether you agree with the concept of governments forcing this ... I think we can agree that apple needs to sod off with that connector, I mean they already use USB-C for their Macs. 

Also Apple please fix the quality of your cables it’s atrocious, the old Magsafe cables, Lightning, earpods... they all break apart faster than any other cable I own.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

42 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You're right, but I was trying to work out why you were wrong at the same time.  There is so  much confusion as people keep using the USB protocol interchangeably with the Connector standards. 

Whatever the protocol or connector there could still be a stifling of innovation. For instance, and it has been argued elsewhere whether this option is right or wrong so we don’t need it again, what if Apple want to have no connector? Maybe they want a really waterproof iPhone that works to -50m, or can build a cheaper phone because there is no connector. Will any ruling force them to have a USB C port against the will of the designer? What if a new flexible pub and screen is designed so we can have a super thin device? Would that be held back because of an EU directive? Does an Apple Watch with a SIM card count as a phone and if so will a USB C connection need to be fitted?

For me any change should be consumer driven and not legislative. 

48 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

Whatever the protocol or connector there could still be a stifling of innovation. For instance, and it has been argued elsewhere whether this option is right or wrong so we don’t need it again, what if Apple want to have no connector? Maybe they want a really waterproof iPhone that works to -50m, or can build a cheaper phone because there is no connector. Will any ruling force them to have a USB C port against the will of the designer? What if a new flexible pub and screen is designed so we can have a super thin device? Would that be held back because of an EU directive? Does an Apple Watch with a SIM card count as a phone and if so will a USB C connection need to be fitted?

For me any change should be consumer driven and not legislative. 

This would probably only apply to phones, tablets, cameras, etc which are designed to have a recharge port. If they wanted to go completely port-less then this would not apply to it.

It might stifle innovation an extreme small amount but honestly looking at connectors used over the last decade it really hasn't affect innovation yet so why would it in the future. The lightning port has been around for 7-8 years if ports were so important for innovation apple would have already changed it to something new.

2 hours ago, kokakolia said:

USB-C is so confusing with the protocols and such, that if Apple used USB-C it would have to be Apple certified. Thus creating much confusion between USB-C cables and Apple compatible USB-C cables. Since only Apple devices use lightning, there's no confusion at all. 

dont think anyone uses a older standard than USB 2.0 for their USB C devices, which is also what Apple uses for their lightning connector on their newest device. 

if they wont change the USB revision from 2.0 to 3.0 or higher, i dont see the issue. in fact multiple phones use USB 3.0 and newer and i havent heard issues regarding revision compatibility. 

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

dont think anyone uses a older standard than USB 2.0 for their USB C devices, which is also what Apple uses for their lightning connector on their newest device. 

if they wont change the USB revision from 2.0 to 3.0 or higher, i dont see the issue. in fact multiple phones use USB 3.0 and newer and i havent heard issues regarding revision compatibility. 

If Apple wasn't greedy at all, it wouldn't be an issue. They would simply use the same standards as any other brand. 

HOWEVER, we're talking about Apple here...

So I am certain that Apple would do something funny with the USB-C connection, because of greed. After all, it's our burden as consumers to pay Apple royalties on every charging cable. 

15 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

If Apple wasn't greedy at all, it wouldn't be an issue. They would simply use the same standards as any other brand. 

So I am certain that Apple would do something funny with the USB-C connection, because of greed. After all, it's our burden as consumers to pay Apple royalties on every charging cable. 

If the EU mandate USB C connectors then apple will just put them on the charger like they did with USB A.   I am not really concerned about that as much as I am about the justification to force a change in the first place.  The EU is claiming that obsolete cables are the reason that so many end up as e-waste.  So if they want to stop that from happening they have to stop cables becoming obsolete.  Forcing everyone to use a single style of cable for eternity is the only way to do that.   So it actually makes more sense to force companies to continue using their existing cables for as a long as possible then switch to a single standard that never changes.    In a sense apple is correct when they say that will stifle innovation. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Are the roads owned by the government or by corporations?  Or do you mean the HOAs are owned by corporations?  That would be a potential problem.  An HOA should be owned by the homeowners.  If it isn’t some chicanery has taken place. A government wouldn’t save money because they wouldn’t be able to tax those people for those services.  Apparently the corporation does instead?  So by your description an HOA is at least in some instances actually a tiny corporate government.   That’s more than a little messed up.  Totally illegal where I live.

It may be that this is a state or national difference.  

In any case it’s irrelevant to USB.

Public roads are government maintained. Here in Michigan some are cities responsibly and others are the county. Some HOAs are ran by corporations, and in some cases they have to maintain the roads. 

Also you pay taxes regardless. Here in Michigan the city and county get parts of the property tax. Also organizations like the school district get a chunk as well. HOA or no HOA your still paying taxes. Doesn’t matter if the HOA maintains your street or the city. The government always gets its due.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

It would cut a LOT of the waste if when you buy a device, you get a choice of whether to have the charger and/or cable too, So like a simple check box on your order, confirming the charger type, amps etc and the checkbox saying "tick here if you require the charger" instead of it being sent out automatically. The manufacturer could send the devices in the packaging how they do already, but without the charger, and send a load of chargers to the retailer to include as/when required.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 hours ago, kokakolia said:

My memory is that when lightning came out the other choice was microUSB2 which had big problems.  Lightning was a flat out better standard.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

it would be nice if every one agreed on a standard but im not sure I like it being mandated by a government. On the waste side at least for me I usually keep cables till the die I still have all kinds of old ones floating around that I almost never need. 

We can't even get a standard for electrical outlets, how do they think this is gonna work?

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

6 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Remember how Apple switched to all USB-C ports on Mac laptops, and made it a point that you can charge from the USB-C port rather than its earlier proprietary connector?  You can even use a sufficiently powerful external battery to keep a Mac charged now.

Remember how Apple switched the iPad Pro to USB-C to ensure broader compatibility with peripherals?

Apple likes industry standards -- when it feels they're actually beneficial.  I don't think it felt much of an urge to embrace USB-C on phones because Lightning is smaller, already has a substantial ecosystem and came at a time when people were moving away from wired syncing to the cloud.  I wouldn't mind a move to USB-C myself, but I don't think it'd be the panacea many pretend it would be.

Apple has been talking about making a phone with no external connections at alll.  This could push them to it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Something cropped up in my mind, and maybe this would be helpful for others. Electrical connectors are all standardized. However, most of them, if not all of them, were standardized by a non-government body. So... yeah. If countries can agree on which plug to use without the government telling them to, then certainly they can find agreement on which connector to use.

I would understand this motion as a strong initiative if there were like 20 standards. But there's only like three tops (USB-C, micro B, and Lightning) in widespread use.

13 hours ago, mr moose said:

No, you have your opinions and they are not objective.  Your entire argument rests on you believing your opinions are best for everyone.

explain to me how the early 2000s situation with charging cables is better for anyone.

Era before microUSB was terrible. Because ALL the connectors before microUSB were absolute terrible garbage. Sure having to plug it in certain direction sucks, but that doesn't compare to horrible loose proprietary connectors before where almost everyone I know had to lean the phone on something when laying flat on the surface so it slightly pushed connector up for it to stay connected and charging.

26 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Era before microUSB was terrible. Because ALL the connectors before microUSB were absolute terrible garbage. Sure having to plug it in certain direction sucks, but that doesn't compare to horrible loose proprietary connectors before where almost everyone I know had to lean the phone on something when laying flat on the surface so it slightly pushed connector up for it to stay connected and charging.

same thing today

17 hours ago, xtroria said:

Should apple remove lightning connector? Yes

Should it be something that government regulates? NO

Please don’t bring some government regulation into something that evolves so quickly

I don't like Government interaction, either, but when manufacturers can't agree on some standards, then Government interaction becomes necessary. Imagine what it would b like if different electric utilities used different outlets inside homes. Or automobile manufacturers had different types of fuel tank ports? It's ridiculous that people have to have multiple charging deevices for their devices.

14 hours ago, Kisai said:

You don't understand the purpose of a HOA (basically planned neighborhoods, aka gated communities) or Strata councils then. The purpose is not a level of government at the building/block level, but more like a PTA (Parent Teacher association) to ensure that things residents do neither disrupt other residents peaceful enjoyment of their own properties. So that means:

- No you can not cut a hole in your building/unit

- No you can not build an extension to your building

- No you can not build a fence between you and your neighbor

- No you can not park on the street. If you can't park in your garage then you can't have the vehicle parked here at all. (To dissuade RV camping.)

and so forth. If there is a HOA or a Strata involved, it's likely they own the last 100ft of roads, which happen to be the roads in front of your driveway, so they're not public roads, they're actually private roads with public access, and that's why you can't park on them. There's also the fire safety issues where some of these stupid gated communities have roads that are not wide enough for two vehicles to pass each other.

Anyway, they exist so that disputes are handled between neighbors and not taken to court unless things get to the level where law enforcement would need to be used. So for example, is someone operating their home or strata unit as a boarding house? Sorry, that's illegal, and if you don't cease immediately, the HOA/Strata council will move to have you sell your property and GTFO. It happens, but usually not very high profile...

HOAs, in theory, are a great idea for protecting property owners from other property owners bring down property values. In actual practice, more often than not, sooner or later, someone will be elected to the board who will seize power and behave like little dictators who think they are God.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Or automobile manufacturers had different types of fuel tank ports?

You mean like what has happen to electric cars? I have seen 3 separate charging cables at least. Though there adapters that converts between standards. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

35 minutes ago, pas008 said:

same thing today

Not really. I took same care of those back then and they got crippled. Never had microUSB cable do this. And I still have cables from first phones from many years ago still in use today.

22 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Not really. I took same care of those back then and they got crippled. Never had microUSB cable do this. And I still have cables from first phones from many years ago still in use today.

same here cables become shit after awhile

even ports going bad on phones or tablets also

not sure what you smoking

but I still have my old school nokia 3310 chargers lol

42 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You mean like what has happen to electric cars? I have seen 3 separate charging cables at least. Though there adapters that converts between standards. 

It is frustrating, very frustrating. However, there is an evolution involved. Do we simply adopt the first popular connector that arrives then realise when everyone has jumped aboard it is a pile of vista? Or do we let evolution take hold, a format war of sorts and hopefully end up with something decent? In the early days of any new concept we go through this no matter what the product from cassette to car etc.

28 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

You’re highly unusual.  I’ve had microUSB2 cables go bad on me in as little as a month.

The issue it seems is there is a loophole in the spec that allows for cheap cable manufacture, and the design itself isn’t good with being yanked on and wiggled about.  So particularly bad for phones and other things that are frequently plugged in and treated roughly.

The phone makers hated the system so much they pressured the ISO to bring usbC out early.

7 minutes ago, pas008 said:

same here cables become shit after awhile

even ports going bad on phones or tablets also

not sure what you smoking

but I still have my old school nokia 3310 chargers lol

I'm not smoking anything, just wondering if people shove phones up pigs butts and charge them while they are there and pigs are flying. Only way to fuck up things in ways people say they fuck up...