Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HeartOfGermany

ASUS P8H61 MX - No sound through HDMI, no device shown!

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have the ASUS P8H61 MX. I plugged it into the TV of my parents through DVI-HDMI adapter. Aaaand. No sound!

And no, realy nothing at ALL! I mean, there is not even a device like "NVIDIA HDMI Audio" or whatever it is on a GPU. The device also is not hidden. It does not exist to windows. So I went to the Bios setting, but the ONLY audio related option was:

Audio something:  "AC97" or "HD" (Forgot the actual settings name - whatever, it also does not fix it).

Since there is not even a device detected anywhere, I am starting to doubt, there is any Sound hardware to the HDMI - but what do you need that video port for, if no sound works? And NO! I will under no circumstance work with additional cabling with 3.5mm HP jack. It has to work over HDMI - it should insta-work. It at least does on any other system I used so far.

The video Settings from intel also suck a lot. They do not even tell me, what integrated graphics unit is on the board. Could you believe that? I hate, when companies cut off my balls and believe, that I as a user am just totally brainfarted and am not allowed to see such information. In device manager it is also just called something like Intel HD Grapics or so. At least there is no number at all, indicating anything specific.

At least display scaling worked - why is this even required at ALL anytime?

Just plain wrong. Why the heck does that myth hold up in 2020?

My living room PC uses a DVI-HDMI adapter on 1060 6GB. The TV than outputs the Toslink to my receiver. So yes, it definitely works. And DVI and HDMI share identical pins - why do you think, does that work at all with no active electronics? Sound definitely works over DVI. Proof in my living room. (I was hooking up a 2nd monitor and found out, I actually have HDMI hooked up now, to save an adapter. Was a mistake - I lost it and had to actually buy a new one. Lol :D

Oh, did not read it correctly. The P8H61 MX uses an i5-4440 and 2 4GB sticks from Crucial. That is actually all. And I hooked up a cheap case with Frontpanel with IEEE 1394 and 2x USB2 and also mic in and hp out.

1 minute ago, HeartOfGermany said:

Just plain wrong. Why the heck does that myth hold up in 2020?

My living room PC uses a DVI-HDMI adapter on 1060 6GB. The TV than outputs the Toslink to my receiver. So yes, it definitely works. And DVI and HDMI share identical pins - why do you think, does that work at all with no active electronics? Sound definitely works over DVI. Proof in my living room. (I was hooking up a 2nd monitor and found out, I actually have HDMI hooked up now, to save an adapter. Was a mistake - I lost it and had to actually buy a new one. Lol :D

That's because the 1060 has HDMI and DVI out and has its own specific adapters to make it work (including sound).
The statement @Electronics Wizardy made is 100% correct.

If the motherboard has no HDMI out (even if over DVI) you wont be able to get sound. And thus there is no driver thus you wont see any such device in windows.
The best solution if possible would be buying a cheap 1030 or something just to get the HDMI out and audio controller on it.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

2 minutes ago, HeartOfGermany said:

Why the heck does that myth hold up in 2020?

Cause dvi doesn't support audio on its own. It uses the same pins, but it isn't a part of the dvi standard to have audio. Some gpus have audio support when a dvi to hdmi adapter is used, but its not part of the spec.

Whats your full system specs? Just use the hdmi out on your board, or plug the audio from your pc into the reciever directly.

5 minutes ago, circeseye said:

takes a certain cable IF your video card supports it
https://www.cables.com/blog/does-dvi-support-audio/

Well actually, I guess, most Adapters work (and than HDMI cable) - they are likely designed with that in mind. I just thought, that Intel actually also has this on theyr IGPU. I mean, it is an actual sort of GPU - I would have expected that they do not cheap out, since they are not cheap usually... Dissapointed.

This requires a dumb workaround, I hate it. It was supposed to be simple and cheap...

Edit:

And of corse, thank you all for that quick response. That was a forum usage I realy liked. And I usually hate it! ❤️