ASUS P8H61 MX - No sound through HDMI, no device shown!

HeartOfGermany

I have the ASUS P8H61 MX. I plugged it into the TV of my parents through DVI-HDMI adapter. Aaaand. No sound!

And no, realy nothing at ALL! I mean, there is not even a device like "NVIDIA HDMI Audio" or whatever it is on a GPU. The device also is not hidden. It does not exist to windows. So I went to the Bios setting, but the ONLY audio related option was:

Audio something:  "AC97" or "HD" (Forgot the actual settings name - whatever, it also does not fix it).

Since there is not even a device detected anywhere, I am starting to doubt, there is any Sound hardware to the HDMI - but what do you need that video port for, if no sound works? And NO! I will under no circumstance work with additional cabling with 3.5mm HP jack. It has to work over HDMI - it should insta-work. It at least does on any other system I used so far.

The video Settings from intel also suck a lot. They do not even tell me, what integrated graphics unit is on the board. Could you believe that? I hate, when companies cut off my balls and believe, that I as a user am just totally brainfarted and am not allowed to see such information. In device manager it is also just called something like Intel HD Grapics or so. At least there is no number at all, indicating anything specific.

At least display scaling worked - why is this even required at ALL anytime?

Just plain wrong. Why the heck does that myth hold up in 2020?

My living room PC uses a DVI-HDMI adapter on 1060 6GB. The TV than outputs the Toslink to my receiver. So yes, it definitely works. And DVI and HDMI share identical pins - why do you think, does that work at all with no active electronics? Sound definitely works over DVI. Proof in my living room. (I was hooking up a 2nd monitor and found out, I actually have HDMI hooked up now, to save an adapter. Was a mistake - I lost it and had to actually buy a new one. Lol :D

Oh, did not read it correctly. The P8H61 MX uses an i5-4440 and 2 4GB sticks from Crucial. That is actually all. And I hooked up a cheap case with Frontpanel with IEEE 1394 and 2x USB2 and also mic in and hp out.

1 minute ago, HeartOfGermany said:

Just plain wrong. Why the heck does that myth hold up in 2020?

My living room PC uses a DVI-HDMI adapter on 1060 6GB. The TV than outputs the Toslink to my receiver. So yes, it definitely works. And DVI and HDMI share identical pins - why do you think, does that work at all with no active electronics? Sound definitely works over DVI. Proof in my living room. (I was hooking up a 2nd monitor and found out, I actually have HDMI hooked up now, to save an adapter. Was a mistake - I lost it and had to actually buy a new one. Lol :D

That's because the 1060 has HDMI and DVI out and has its own specific adapters to make it work (including sound).
The statement @Electronics Wizardy made is 100% correct.

If the motherboard has no HDMI out (even if over DVI) you wont be able to get sound. And thus there is no driver thus you wont see any such device in windows.
The best solution if possible would be buying a cheap 1030 or something just to get the HDMI out and audio controller on it.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

2 minutes ago, HeartOfGermany said:

Why the heck does that myth hold up in 2020?

Cause dvi doesn't support audio on its own. It uses the same pins, but it isn't a part of the dvi standard to have audio. Some gpus have audio support when a dvi to hdmi adapter is used, but its not part of the spec.

Whats your full system specs? Just use the hdmi out on your board, or plug the audio from your pc into the reciever directly.

5 minutes ago, circeseye said:

takes a certain cable IF your video card supports it
https://www.cables.com/blog/does-dvi-support-audio/

Well actually, I guess, most Adapters work (and than HDMI cable) - they are likely designed with that in mind. I just thought, that Intel actually also has this on theyr IGPU. I mean, it is an actual sort of GPU - I would have expected that they do not cheap out, since they are not cheap usually... Dissapointed.

This requires a dumb workaround, I hate it. It was supposed to be simple and cheap...

Edit:

And of corse, thank you all for that quick response. That was a forum usage I realy liked. And I usually hate it! ❤️

• 1 month later...

well, i keep my desktop on a tv and there are some spasifics to intel graphics. i use prime rendering now but the sound woeks on intel mode too.

your display must be on and on the right source before turning on the pc.  or else it wont even post. 

is your hdmi cord long? If so you'll get no sound some times if its bent in the middle even slightly. that applies to most hdmi stuff. in audio settings select hdmi, and if no sound, its likely bent.  

heres what mine looks like.

IMG_20200316_013308.jpg

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

a possible fix is wiggling the cord or checking tightness of ends.

main rig:

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

backup

Well, it does not install any audio device - which on a GTX 1060 for example will be installed, even if unused. So we now know:

- DVI CAN support Audio out

- HDMI DOES

- Some iGPUs output, some don't (Likely more a Bios/Motherboard issue!***)

*** Why? Well, I heard even of some Motherboards with the ability, to do realtine Dolby encoding, but it being disabled in the Bios firmware. Some tweakers actually modified the binaries of said board and got an output. So it seems, that there is a multiple and absolutely unpredictable chaos out there when it comes to Onboard Video+Sound.

My solution was to buy a passively cooled GPU with HDMI for 2.04€ from work. (~2$) It is capable of 1080p60 and gives sound AND is also still supported by windows 10 - no idea why in 2020, but it works and that is nice. :)

Btw: 2m Cable length. Also, if I remember correctly, the Audio is transmitted over the same data lines as the video. So an unstable connection will likely not just disable audio and suddenly work for video only. (Maybe a 1 in 1M)

Got it to also work on 10m cable.

thanks for reply! :)

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2020 at 12:03 PM, Snowarch said:

well, i keep my desktop on a tv and there are some spasifics to intel graphics. i use prime rendering now but the sound woeks on intel mode too.

your display must be on and on the right source before turning on the pc.  or else it wont even post. 

is your hdmi cord long? If so you'll get no sound some times if its bent in the middle even slightly. that applies to most hdmi stuff. in audio settings select hdmi, and if no sound, its likely bent.  

heres what mine looks like.

IMG_20200316_013308.jpg

I am using MSI H110M PRO VH motherboard with i5 6500 (but no graphic card except the inbuilt intel hd 530).
My problem is that NO SOUND COMES THROUGH HDMI, as it doesn't show my LED TV (or Digital Audio HDMI) in play back devices and I have been using it like that for past 3 years
Things I have tried:
-Uninstalling , reinstalling and updating intelHD and realtek hd audio drivers , manually and as well as through windows auto update feature.
-Formating whole system and reinstalling windows 10.
-swapping cables etc etc.
All to vein, nothing worked.
LED TV works perfectly with other hdmi inputs such as tata sky setup box.
Though sound comes through aux output from CPU but not through hdmi.
Can you please help me solve this problem 🙏?

IMG20200418144543.jpg

Well, maybe the hdmi port on the board is dying?  i know a dying hdmi cable, or loose one can cause it.

main rig:

backup

But if HDMI port was not okay then how come video part is just fine but not the audio? Moreover system recognises my LED TV as a generic PNP monitor, is it okay ?

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

On 4/19/2020 at 8:47 PM, HanZie82 said:

Just tried it and failed again😭

When I even try to troubleshoot by clicking the sound logo on bottom right of screen, it doesn't even show option for HDMI. 

IMG20200421204356.jpg