PNY 1080 FE crashing or overheating? super loud fan

Blazecore

Hi,

i built a new PC about a month ago, the only thing that inst brand new is my graphics card. its a PNY 1080 FE i have been using this card for about 2 years now and haven't had any issues. today i was playing COD MW and my computer crashed. all of my screens went black but i could still hear sound until i restarted my comp. i just opened call of duty again and loaded into a game and instantly the screens go black and the fan on my card starts spinning extremely fast and it is very loud. it does the same thing when i open world or Warcraft. the first thing i tried was updating my drivers(which were like a month out of date).

currently i am using the onboard graphics, and have removed the card from the computer. just wondering if anyone has any advice on what i should do next. i do have new thermal paste but idk if opening the card will void warranty or not. i honestly dont even know if it is still under warennty though.

Spec of PC:

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I99900K ...

Corsair Hydro Series, H100i RGB PLATINUM SE, 240mm Radiator, Dual LL120 RGB PWM Fans, Advanced RGB Lighting and Fan ...

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G5, 80 Plus Gold 750W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with FDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self ...

Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 3D2, QLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKNW010T8X1

Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model ...

also this is the thermal paste that i have.

https://www.newegg.com/deepcool-z5/p/N82E16835856010?Item=N82E16835856010

6 minutes ago, Blazecore said:

i do have new thermal paste but idk if opening the card will void warranty or not

Did you even check the temps of that gpu? Specially just before it crushes 

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

7 minutes ago, Blazecore said:

Hi,

i built a new PC about a month ago, the only thing that inst brand new is my graphics card. its a PNY 1080 FE i have been using this card for about 2 years now and haven't had any issues. today i was playing COD MW and my computer crashed. all of my screens went black but i could still hear sound until i restarted my comp. i just opened call of duty again and loaded into a game and instantly the screens go black and the fan on my card starts spinning extremely fast and it is very loud. it does the same thing when i open world or Warcraft. the first thing i tried was updating my drivers(which were like a month out of date).

currently i am using the onboard graphics, and have removed the card from the computer. just wondering if anyone has any advice on what i should do next. i do have new thermal paste but idk if opening the card will void warranty or not. i honestly dont even know if it is still under warennty though.

Spec of PC:

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I99900K ...

Corsair Hydro Series, H100i RGB PLATINUM SE, 240mm Radiator, Dual LL120 RGB PWM Fans, Advanced RGB Lighting and Fan ...

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G5, 80 Plus Gold 750W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with FDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self ...

Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 3D2, QLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKNW010T8X1

Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model ...

also this is the thermal paste that i have.

https://www.newegg.com/deepcool-z5/p/N82E16835856010?Item=N82E16835856010

Hmm, could be many things. I would start with DDU (display driver uninstall). IT can be found here: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

This will reboot you into safe mode, totally destroy everything to do with all graphics drivers, and then you can try and instal the nvidia driver again fresh.

If that doens't help, it could be a weird OS issue, and may end up needed to be reformatted. But before we get there, do you have another PC you can try the 1080 in? Or a friends PC you can throw it in just to test?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

ok thanks i will try the DDU and yes i still have my old computer that i could toss it in and test it with. i will also try to get some temps with MSI afterburner too.

FE cards usually use the old blower style coolers on them, and they do tend to run a little toasty from the start, so the thermal compound on the die could be a little crusty, especially after 2 years of gaming. i crack my cards open at least once a year to reapply compound and to make sure memory and VRM heat pads are up to snuff. my msi 1080 gaming x runs ice cold under 100% loads, like the fuzzy donut of death. so, if it were me, before hurting the hardware by booting it back up and forcing it to run, id pop the card out and take the cooler off and check that paste, and check the fan and heatspreader inside there. it could be caked up with fuzzy donuts too

31 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Hmm, could be many things. I would start with DDU (display driver uninstall). IT can be found here: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

This will reboot you into safe mode, totally destroy everything to do with all graphics drivers, and then you can try and instal the nvidia driver again fresh.

If that doens't help, it could be a weird OS issue, and may end up needed to be reformatted. But before we get there, do you have another PC you can try the 1080 in? Or a friends PC you can throw it in just to test?

so i ran the DDU and then put the card back in and restarted. my computer then automatically installed some drivers from 7/24/19 so i downloaded the latest and installed them which is from 1/6/20 is there a way to disable the auto install of the other drivers?

Edited by Blazecore

i tried to check the temps with MSI afterburner and it was sitting at 35c. as soon as i opened call of duty it crashed again, the temp was showing 38c right b4 that. i am about to toss it in my old comp to see what happens.

Edit: now the computer wont even start up b4 the card crashes, as soon as i get past POST the fan gets super loud and doesn't do anything past that. i have never heard a fan so loud before, it sounds like its about to take off into space.

so i put the card in my old computer and it seems to work fine, temps are in mid 30s and no crashes. i guess i will try to reformat and reinstall everything next. i also tried resetting my BIOS settings because i did change the mem frequency but idk if that could of had anything to do with it.

15 minutes ago, Blazecore said:

so i put the card in my old computer and it seems to work fine, temps are in mid 30s and no crashes. i guess i will try to reformat and reinstall everything next. i also tried resetting my BIOS settings because i did change the mem frequency but idk if that could of had anything to do with it.

Change the mem frequency of your RAM, or video card memory?

If it works in the other PC, its not the GPU that is bad. Its possible its a crazy windows glitch, its really hard to know for sure. You can try a different PCIe slot in the motherboard, its possible that would help. Unlikely, but possible.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

RAM frequency, so i put the card in a diff PCI slot and it seems to be working now. im gonna toss my old 670 in the top slot to see if maybe it was a bad slot or something.

Are you running any additional software in the background? 

Does the system crash just idling?

Surfing the web? Or just in full screen 3d applications?

Could try a benchmark, as ive has the crashing issue with the game itself. 

One a side note, how long is the warranty on the card? Does their warranty state it can’t be maintained or does it need registered for it to be valid?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz